What would you do?

El Karacho1647545492

I went into Flexicom today (DJ's place for those that don't know) with a cell phone I'd found. The battery was dead, and I wanted to see if they could find the owner so the owner could come get it. I know I'd be ripping my hair out over a lost phone, because that means lost numbers and everything.

Keep in mind this was a cheap phone (LG VX4500) and considering mine is a helluvalot better, I've got no reason to keep it.

When I brought it in, DJ's coworker looked at me like I was out of my damn mind. What was I thinking returning a phone, instead of just selling it on eBay or craigslist?

So how many of you, given the minimal profit from selling such a phone, would do the right thing and try and find the true owner? Am I crazy?

I'd try to find the owner. I have found a few phones. I have even gone thru the phone numbers and called people to find the owner.

+1 Been there done that.

I have been in the same boat as well. Lost my phone, then somebody called my house and said they had found it. Ended up giving the guy some money for saving my ass. I have alot of important information on my phone and God knows I'd be fucked if I lost it. Trying to get it back to the rightful owner is the right thing to do.

i havent found anyones phone, but i did have a girl call me that found my friends phone once...shes like "do you know how to get in touch with him?" lol...im like...um, this is the only number i have for him...did you look for "mom" or "dad"???" shes like "duh...good idea"

she sounded cute...i shoulda told her he was at my place

You did the right thing, good samaritans are few and far between.

The other day I left my wallet on top of my car while pumping gas. I guess it flew off at an intersection and was then found this couple, who ended up driving it 20 mins out of their way to my house. I tried to give them money, literally setting it on the dashboard of their car forcing them to take it. They waited untill I went inside and put it in my mailbox... Westerville, go figure.

Yeah, I was in boston and found a guy's wallet and did some reverse phone directory searching and found the guy who was literally devastated until i called. he refused to leave until I accepted the $60 he gave me.

it just feels good to do the right thing. people in this world work hard as fuck, and its just good karma that they get their shit back. i know that eventually i'll lose my phone or wallet and i just hope someone will be good enough to return it.

I had my wallet STOLEN and had it returned to me. Right out of my car while it was in my driveway.

I also had my wallet stolen in Boston, I couldn't get the police to even file a report, even after I told them where to find the guy and his general description. I knew where he worked, and when he was working. Sucked. :(

Yup, I would have done as you did - tried to find the phone's owner.

I had my cell phone stolen once at a club - a club called Casbah at Easton. Anyway, a day later some guy calls the people on my call list to track me down. Says he found my phone outside the club on the curb (WTF?) and just wanted to get it back to me. I tried to give him cash, but he wouldn't accept it.

EDIT: BTW, I recently found a wallet in a parking lot at the Polaris Mall. Picked up, looked in it, noticed $$$. About the same time, I see a guy jogging through the parking lot, obviously looking for something. Putting to the two together, I knew it was his wallet, and that's what he was jogging around looking for. That's where the dilemma came in: keep the wallet and pocket the cash, or return it to jogging guy. So, after debating it for about a second, I stopped him, asked what he was looking for (and he confirmed that he was looking for his wallet), matched him with the ID in the wallet (so that I wasn't just handing over some other guy's wallet to some clown jogging through a parking lot), and handed over his wallet.

I'm a bank card magnet. If you lose yours, there is a good chance I'll find it. I've turned 3 into the same bank this year. Last time I went in with one, the girl was like where do you find them? So many people leave them at the drive through ATM. I have found them all at night and go to the perspective bank in the morning.

I am happy to hear there are some good people left in the world. Seems like are parents raised us right. I have found many wallets, phones and other personal items and I always try to find the people that lost it. I have never been given anything for returning it, but the look on peoples faces when it is returned is enough for me.

When I was about ten I found a wallet on a ride at an amusement park. I opened it and there was $100 in it. My friend wanted to keep it but I said no we need to find the guy. After I got off the ride I went up to the lost and found area and had them announce that I found this guy's wallet. About a minute later a guy comes running up to the stand. He was so happy that I tried to return the wallet and didn't take the money. He ended up giving me the cash as a reward for being a good kid. $100 bucks when you are ten is like hitting the lottery!

I always believe that if you don't do the right thing that it will eventually come back to haunt you. And if you have ever lost anything important you know how much it sucks.

lol. this was the first thing i heard about when i got into work this morning. jesse doesnt think youre a lunatic, alex, just very rare. given our location and the demographic, people that try to do the right thing are few and far between. props to you though, we actually got hold of the owners, and theyll be in tonight. should they have anything to say about it, ill be sure and pass it along.

I would find the owner too.

I'm a bank card magnet. If you lose yours, there is a good chance I'll find it. I've turned 3 into the same bank this year. Last time I went in with one, the girl was like where do you find them? So many people leave them at the drive through ATM. I have found them all at night and go to the perspective bank in the morning.

Same here , only the bank card i found was still in the ATM asking if i wanted another transaction. I hit NO and took it into the bank.

Same here , only the bank card i found was still in the ATM asking if i wanted another transaction. I hit NO and took it into the bank.

I have done this as well. It was sitting there beeping asking for another transaction. So, I could have easily drained everything they had. But, opted to return it to the bank.