Which engine would you go with?

Bam

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bike engine for a couple reasons:

1.) Have engine and transmission integrated, one big box that includes engine and trans, less work.

exactly. Air cooled high compression 1000cc motor. Up the compression in it and run race gas.

2.) Can run much higher compression. We (U of Akron Formula 1 Team) are running a older model Kawi 600 (ZX-6R Model I think) with a compression ratio at 13.7:1 with 94 Oct. Never detonated or blown up on 200+ engine dyno pulls (likes timing 40-45 degrees for full throttle upper rpm's) so you might not even need race gas. Although we are at our compression ratio limits due to valve/piston clearence.

i know alot of stock 1000cc bikes making 180+ whp. this would be my choice, this way the cart will be light.

3.) Power - we have hit around 70 hp and 35 lb-ft of torque through a restrictor in a almost 10 year old model 600cc with much heavier internals than newer bikes. Even with the restrictor we can hit 13K rpm's. A newer bike engine with better components in a 1000cc engine 180 hp would be a breeze along with sky high rev's. Add a turbo, the only word needed is insane.

4.) Get yourself a nice differential, this will take care of your low end torque worries (we have run from 3.73 to 4.11 in our Zexel Torsen (sp?)). We use such a step gear that we don't use first gear because: a) traction useless (even with Motec's Traction control) and b) quicker shifting by not passing through neutral (1-2).

13b turbo rotary. light, compact.

probably hard to do since i'm assuming you are doing rear mount RWD.

even so, using a rotary would be good because of the weight and the space constraints, and the use of low octane gas is better for it so in the long run, cheaper.

even so, using a rotary would be good because of the weight and the space constraints, and the use of low octane gas is better for it so in the long run, cheaper.

not cheaper in the long run since it breaks everyday haha

Well I made several calls today on bike engines/trans and it just isn't in the cards. The best deal I found was for an 01 R1, everthing I needed and only 3k miles on it, was $1800 +tax, definitely way more than I want to spend. So we're doing a zetec we decided. A friend of mine has expeirence with the motor, they are extremely plentiful and cheap and not that heavy, the engine is roughly 240lbs and the trans is another 70lbs, so under 315lbs, plus we're removing some accessories which obviously aren't needed in a go kart.

We'll be a u pull it tomorrow taking advantage of their sale, complete engines for $65, trannies for $40, we'll probably pull a few just in case. Along with the entire from subframe from at least two cars, one for the front end, and another to use with the engine in the rear.

The goal is to have this finished for $2000, we've already got the frame built, steering in, gas tank and seats mounted as well as all the lights. Total invested as of now is a tad over $400 and plenty of time. I'll start a new thread in a week or so once we get the frame powdercoated and its actually looking like something. :)

If your concerned about weight and cost you prolly can't go wrong with a Honda motor, like a B16 or something. Their readily available and cheap. The 4G63 is heavier but real cheap as well and would make as much power as you want.

Fuck that L67 have a 250hp Go Kart :) fucking be racing shit easly.

Honda motor why no tq

Bike motor be fun if you wanna be in the 100-150hp range

But the l67 will make the 302 look pathetic.

Thorne you wanna try to make my 302 look pathetic? :marc:

You really need to give a bit more info on the project. I saw street legal go-cart. First that's gonna be a bitch, any experimential/hand built vehicle has to 100% comply with ORC regulations for lights, exhaust and all sorts of shit most importantly bumpers and restraints to get tags. Second, is this to go toast vette's or to haul you to work? If you are gonna street race it, fuck legal, going 200 on a shifter cart or in a vette is illegal, your ass is going to jail either way if you get caught.

Now that is out of the way, if you are bitching about $1800 then you have NOTHING in the way of money for this deal, I am also wondering what your fabrication abilities are. If you want simple, go with an OLD air cooled motor. Fabing up a radiator, lines and all that shit can be a bit complex. Not to mention the wiring and power for a cooling fan. The only down side to that is there is no way to heat it with the water. Old bikes are all over the place. Just look around for bikes that are sitting that look like they been there awhile. I have had 5 bikes given to me because they had not been rode for a long time. The needed work but the price was right. And remember that if you can weld and fabricate, there are always little turbos on ebay. a 750 to 1000 cc bike motor with a small turbo is going to make plenty of power.

I'm alright with fabrications, but one of my buddies is great with it and can do just about everything, then another of my friends can rebuild motors/whatever with his eyes closed, like overnight. So we've got a pretty good crew to do this, we're also not starting from scratch, I bought a frame chassis that already has a titled/is registered, and we're just renewing it basically.

It had all 60's vw bug stuff on it, steering, brakes, suspension, engine/trans, but that's not what I want to do.

Here are some pictures of it as its sitting in my garage now.

Also, we didn't make it to the junkyard today because we're still contemplating what to do. I realized that since this will be a car for next season anyways, there's no point to hustle and get this done, I don't need it running/driving next month. So I'm going to put up a bunch of WTB ads for a bike motor, and wait and see, if I don't find anything I like by say March 07, then I'll drop a simple 4cylinder in it on the cheap.

This car with a bike motor should weigh around 800lbs, and with a 4cylinder hopefully around 1000lbs. This should be a low 12 second car NA, if not faster.

Here is a picture of when I got it, and what it looks like now.

Check http://www.putfile.com/bam6i4 - Yes, that's my fatass in the pics, but I am holding the up with one hand, not that heavy, and the front suspension will be coming off tomorrow in favor of a newer 4cylinder one.

I've already read up on the BMV's list of what it takes to make it street legal, so I'm good there. This will be a cruiser car, of course will see street action as well as strip, (if possible)

As of right now I'm $400 in, and I have a goal of to do this with $2500 or less. It will happen.

We are completely dissasembling the car right now to get ready for sand/mediablasting and powdercoating. We're also welding in a few more braces, redoing a few, and cleaning up a lot of the pre-existing welds. The frame as well as the suspension parts will be done in black.

since when is a rotary lite?

The 3800 is too heavy for this project. If you are going to add all of that weight, you might as well get an LS1 or similar aluminum V8. There is only a few pounds difference between an L67/32 and an LS1.

I will.

Busa motor + turbo. A friend has this set up in a Lotus Super 7. It's basically a street legal go kart with 350 hp and only weighs 700 pounds. I can lift the front end off the ground by hand. It's insane on the street. He is upping the HP to try and go for the record 0-60 time.

Nah I was talking stock for stock. Plus i know matt knows how to quickly mod an l67. pulley and such .

Not saying your 302 is not quick no doubt in my mind. I'm sure there are more fast 302's then fast l67's

EDIT: BEEFCAKE says he will show you :)

Gee this is gonna sound all silly, but how about putting a bug engine back on it? There are 9 second bug's so power is not a problem, there are kits that around that are 1800 cc complete motors. I am not sure on price, but JC Whittney sells all sorts of bug shit, you might start with them. It's an air cooled motor, so there is none of the difficult radiator type stuff. And that ain't a go cart, it's a rail buggy, but I gotta ask, if you can buy one complete and running for $1000 more than what you are planning to spend on this one, why not just do that?

Gee this is gonna sound all silly, but how about putting a bug engine back on it? There are 9 second bug's so power is not a problem, there are kits that around that are 1800 cc complete motors. I am not sure on price, but JC Whittney sells all sorts of bug shit, you might start with them. It's an air cooled motor, so there is none of the difficult radiator type stuff. And that ain't a go cart, it's a rail buggy, but I gotta ask, if you can buy one complete and running for $1000 more than what you are planning to spend on this one, why not just do that?

Thats a good idea too. Everyone who has seen that Bug dragster episode of Monster Garage knows how fast bugs can go.

I would call Esslinger and get a catolog there are adapters for the bug trans and you can run a 2.3 ford that will make good power with close to no $ and take a severe beating and come back for more. A air cooled motor would be easier but it is not that hard to mount a rad and use exhaust pipe too plumb it and I am a ford guy. Plus if you look around people will give you a running 2.3 carb motor for free (I know I just gave the fairmonts away)

I think one of the other issues that is not being looked at here is the flipping a motor end for end. The pickup tube for the oil, front main seal and all the rest of the fluid stuff on a 2.3 or any other front mount engine is designed for a direction of accleration. Look at the oil pan on those motors, the resivoir is in the back, if you flip it around, what is the possibility of loosing oil pressure under accleration, not to mention sloshing oil against the front main seal, and the windage issues this is going to create.

Just a though