What do you consider a fast daily driver. anyone have one?

Buck531

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mustang is my daily driver.

I guess I would consider it a "fast" daily driver. What would I consider fast and WANT to drive every day (if I had a Vette I WOULD drive it every day, but would prefer to garage it), something along the lines of what has been said. WRX, Evo, etc. Or else I would enjoy a nice diesel truck for a daily.

If money was not an option I would have anything with working a/c, sun or moon roof, power everything, high end audio, manual, bright headlights and fog lights, confortable seats, and a good amount of torque. I could really care less about the HP or how quick it is. If I can drop a gear and merge/pass with traffic on the highway with ease, I would be happy with it. A bone stock Acura CL 3.0, Nissan Sentra SE-R, or even a Chevy Colbalt SS would be fast enough DD for me.

Guest 78novaman

I'd say for a daily I want some comfort with a good amount of power/luxury balance. 400hp? Too much for a daily IMO. GPS & a DVD player?? No wonder there are so many accidents during rush hour! I just want a car with a good amount of room, really comfy seats, power most everything but still with enough power to leave most others behind if I get on it.

I'd say the cougar fits it almost perfect. (A Mark VIII or Marauder would fit perfect) V8, leather, power everything, A/C, decent gas millage (26hy with 4 adult passengers & a toolbox in the trunk). It doesn't get any attention from the cops, handles well, very reliable, etc. Has enough power to get out of it's own way without stomping on it all the time. It may not stand out in a crowd, but most everyone that's rode in it is amazed at how smooth and quiet it rides.

I drove my nova as a daily for over a year and other than the lack of A/C I didn't mind it a bit. Nice riding cruiser with a big old comfy bench seat.

I have a 2001 Lexus IS300 as my DD. It is almost the perfect car for me, and if I were going to keep it I would only make a few small improvements:

- Better shocks and sway bars to improve handling without sacrificing ride

- A few mods to get the power up around 260 or so

Other than that, I absolutely love it.

- It is dead reliable,

- Has an adequate array of gadgets,

- It seats four adults comfortably, even on 2 or 3 hour trips

- It looks good

- It is REFINED; no rough edges

- It is at home at a business lunch, autocrossing, or through the twisties

- Decent mileage: 20 / 29 city / highway MPG

- It holds its value

- It is built rock solid: no squeaks, rattles, or noises

Just a bit more power and a little less lean is all it needs to be perfect. The other car I looked at before I bought this was the 1997 - 1998 BMW M3 Sedan (4 door), but I couldn't find one with low mileage, and the Lexus is infinitely easier to own.

If I had to take clients around, I would pick the new Legacy GT. I travel a lot for work, so the AWD is a huge want for me. My legacy now is ok. But, it's very close to a sport compact size. Which I like for now, but wouldn't mind going up a class and getting more room for passengers.

I have a SRT4 as a DD. It has a few goodies. It is good for me for a DD, though I am a little tall and wide for it, the seats really hug you. It still gets in the twenties for highway mileage and a little less city, depending on how I drive it. The premium gas sucks though...

The premium gas sucks though...

Yes, it does. I haven't owned a car that doesn't need it in so long I can't remember. :(

Worst thing, is my DD wouldn't run 12s if it was chained to an F-14... yes, it's actually an SC. Not that anyone cares. :)

http://images6.theimagehosting.com/tbird1.th.JPG

Guest GMoney

I DD my 2004 EVO, 25 mpg, 400ish at the wheels dyno proven on pump gas, rain, sleet, snow i drive it, i have no other car and you can ask my friends. I bought the car new 2.5 years ago. I even drive the factory summer advan tires all winter. Its the best car for a DD you could have. Its like a go-kart it makes the trip to and from everywhere a blast instead of a daily grind. I like to go places just cause i get to drive my car, i would hate if i had to drive a beater or anyother car on a daily basis. I can afford a beater and even could afford a brand new car for daily driver i just don't want to. I have been looking at getting a brand new 230 sport for daily driving, after 15 mintues of test driving it not fun to drive anymore and i want my evo back.

I am not just an EVO man. i DD a highly modified Z-28 with 150 shot on it for 4 years and would still have that car if some lady didn't total it for me.

I just can see buying something nice, paying for it, and the only time you drive is on a friday, saturday night where you know all your gonna do is try to kill the car.

And yes i had to bum a ride once in a while maybe 5 times per year cause i was in the middle of an install and had to or wanted to go somewhere. Hell its nice to have a buddy that owes you one pick you up and drive once in while.

I really like the 7 series BMW (not sure on all the specifics on what kind it is that I like but they are beautiful cars and have a ton of room plus still have a sporty edge to them and Im sure have pleanty of power.

Ben I would say your STi is a great DD. Just not for me now. When it come time I will probably get a legacy GT

It is fun to drive but the harsh ride is getting to me. And for the people looking at a Legacy VS Impreza for more roomier ride. Look the the specs, the back seat in an Impreza has the same legroom. The front seats in a legacy have an inch or two more legroom than the Impreza. They are not much bigger at all. And if you are buying an 08 they should be the same size, they are both built on the same platform.

Legacy LRF44.1 LRR33.9 SRF54.2 SRR53.7 HRF37.6 HRR36.5

Impreza LRF42.9 LRR33.0 SRF57.2 SRR52.9 HRF38.6 HRR36.7

LRF=Legroom front

LRR=Legroom rear

SRF=Shoulder room front

SRR=shoulder room rear

HRF=Headroom front

HRR=Headroom rear

As you can see they spit the figures being the largest measurements (bold) in half. And the legacy has less than an inch of more legroom in the rear. :rolleyes: The shoulder room is 3 inches bigger in the Impreza :eek: . And the Headroom front is 1 inch larger in the impreza. To me they are the same size car, it is an illusion. The trunk is not that muck bigger either, I think a cubic foot maybe. However I will say that the Legacy now looks way better than the Impreza now for sure!

I drive the STi as my daily driver aka baby hauler, grocery getter. My hubby used to drive his EK Civic daily, which had quite a few mods ;) He's currently working on a new project for the Civic goodies though since an old guy ran a red light and hit the Civic. The old setup ran 11's in the quarter w/ slicks and 12's consistenly with street tires.