Nascar!!!! Are you kidding me

Drewhop

FOR ME

nascar is pretty much pro wrestling on wheels.

Yes there is skill involved, and no not everyone can do it. But the biggest part is that it's a show, and it's currently a BIG money show.

That's not to say it's bad for people to watch it. I think it's great to sleep to. The repitition of the cars going around puts me out in about 10 minutes on a nice sunday afternoon...very relaxing. I'd consider going to a race sometime because it's basically a giant party. Stay in the infield and it's a dumbed-down Derby effect going on in there. I'm sure it'd be great as long as you made it out alive.

When I think of great drivers in this world, do I think nascar? NO, but some of the great drivers are going there because the money is SO convincing (Boris Said, Ron Fellows, Montoya, Villeneuve[WTF?]). I won't be suprised to see this trend continue. It will actually make me happy to see drivers from other series come over and drive out the good-ol-boy mentaility. You already see it happening in the road races.

And I like Gordon for the simple fact that he can turn left AND right, and every time he wins all the nascar faithful cringe. It's great to hear them bitch about it.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not so sure what the 'social' part means.

It's popular, one doesn't want left out of conversations 'round the water cooler. It's like poker or golf or any other trendy thing; You do it to have something in common with other people and revel in conversations about "Oh yeah, I saw that too!" When the next hot thing comes along, people will jump on that as well.

Wow, nascar not a sport........ you may not like it but no need to hate so much!!!!!

I used to love it, I still have all of my #2 MGD swag, diecasts, a poster may have survived as well.

It is sports entertainment, i.e. entertainment disguised as a sport. The rules are designed:

-to keep cars and teams from reaching their potential, it is a spec-car series. Everyone has these kinds of rules, but no where else are they taken to such extremes. You drive a car meant to show off sponsors and crash well.

-To give as much "action" as possible. Passes and wrecks, that's why they prefer ovals. It's easier to pass and the wrecks are more spectacular without being as deadly. Road courses are slower and more complicated, they require too much skill and patience. In the NASCAR world, that doesn’t sell.

The other factor is the publicity machine and what the organizers do to feed it. It is pro wrestling on wheels; whoever they want to be a popular driver is given an advantage in tech, blind eyes are turned. It happens, don't think for a second that it doesn't, and people have left the “sport” because of it. Sure, they have to go out and drive it, but it's still like starting a 100m dash from the 75m mark.

That does'nt even go on in this counrty,this is America we watch stock car racing

BWAHAHAHAHA!!! No you don't! You watch tube framed spec-car billboards run around and crash. Do you even know what the term "stock car" means? NHRA Pro-stock dragsters are closer to stock cars than anything that NASCAR has run in the last 20+ years.

In the US, the closest thing we have to televised Stock Car racing IS Speed world challenge (yes, Speed World Challenge is American, it does go on in this country, read a book).

You want to see good stock car racing? Move to Australia.

My opinion should be evident from my username. :D

I dislike Gordon for different reasons than most. Those reasons are related to how he handled his fame and fortune. Specifically how he treated those who supported him whe he was a peon. He's a sell out little bitch.

I like Jr. and Harvick. Always been an Earnhardt supporter so when Jr. stepped up to the big leagues it came natural to be a fan. Plus I love Budweiser anyway. :cool: Win, win, win. Hate to see him not sporting #8 next year, going to be a little odd. I knew him and Teresa would never see eye to eye after Sr. died so I saw the parting of ways on the horizon. :(

the closest thing we have to televised Stock Car racing IS Speed world challenge (yes, Speed World Challenge is American, it does go on in this country, read a book).

You want to see good stock car racing? Move to Australia.

read a book i cant read hooked on phonics did'nt work for me, good stock car racing in australia what is it a bunch of kangaroos jumping around the track

Benz- Ok the social part- like I have said I myself have been a fan for 20 years so that would not apply to me but to others maybe. But dont you think it would apply for every sport there is. Not just nascar. It's not the "new" thing to be talking about anyways!!!

And come on the publicity- that is EVERYWHERE.... you can not say that is not the same in football,basketball,baseball- where ever. Organizers do it for those sports just as much as Nascar!

IDK maybe i'm just different but I really do watch for the sport of it. I dont want to see wrecks I dont want to see 'action' unless it is for a reason! I have been to many oval races and do agree that they are more "thrilling" than most but I would LOVE to go to a road course any day!

Benz- Ok the social part- like I have said I myself have been a fan for 20 years so that would not apply to me but to others maybe.

That's why I worded it the way I did, I never said "You". There are long time fans, but given the growth in popularity since the mid 90s, the "long time fan" base is probably less than 30% of total viewership.

And come on the publicity- that is EVERYWHERE.... you can not say that is not the same in football,basketball,baseball- where ever. Organizers do it for those sports just as much as Nascar!

Correct and incorrect: Those are games, not sports, beleive it or not there is a very important difference: Risk. You are correct about the promotion of them in the state and elsewhere. Is there risk in NASCAR? A bit, but they've got it very well controlled. More 8 year olds have dies playing little league baseball in the last 10 years.

I have been to many oval races and do agree that they are more "thrilling" than most but I would LOVE to go to a road course any day!

I grew up 1/4 mile from a dirt oval, I know all about the fun had at those events. I also used to play with legos and Hot Wheels. :) The stuff is fun, but once you look out and around and see what else there, you tend to move away from the simpler things.

Not to say I don't still enjoy legos, I just get more out of building life sized things and racing real cars.

Australian stock cars:

http://www.captivephotographics.com.au/Motoring/Willowbank%20For%20Web/Skaife%2003.jpg

Ok I totally agree with what you just posted...execpt.... is there risk in Nascar.. a bit?? Come on.... they do have it controlled but not to where I would put the risk factor at a bit. My god you would have to be crazy. And why are 8 yr olds dying playing little league, I would have to say experience has a little something to do with that and any ways you can not even compare the two!

On a side note: how funny I used to play with lego's and hot wheels too!

When I think of great drivers in this world, do I think nascar? NO, but some of the great drivers are going there because the money is SO convincing (Boris Said, Ron Fellows, Montoya, Villeneuve[WTF?]).

If they're so great then why aren't they in the top 10? I mean people say NASCAR is utterly skill-less, then why are these corner carvers gettin taking by the simple left turn folk? Seems to me there's a bit more skill in those boys. :D

Ok I totally agree with what you just posted...execpt.... is there risk in Nascar.. a bit?? Come on.... they do have it controlled but not to where I would put the risk factor at a bit. My god you would have to be crazy.

I am crazy. Also, I like what Scott said; Take the restrictor plate soff and see what happens, the risk would go up from a bit.

I put it at "a bit" because wrecks are so common that one can do it with impunity and not have to worry about serious injury, just loosing their place. If bumping cars out of your way is common practice, then your "razors edge" driving is more like walking on a log. If there was risk and fear of death, drivers wouldn't touch each other on purpose.

To answer your question Scott: Experience.

-Real drivers don't hit eachother on the track. The idea of bumping a car out of your way generates fear. In NASCAwR, it's neccesity.

-France's screwing with Tech. They're in slower cars, period. It's nto good for NASCARS image to have them do well.

-Have you ever watch a race at Infineon or the Glen? Who logs fastest laps? You have road course guys "arive and drive" and snag top 10s in qualifying.

They're faster drivers, they just can't compete in a swarm of 40 guys who's only talent is bumping.

Lastly, The top ten drivers int he world won't touch NASCAR, thus they are not in the top ten. :)

Kids die playing little league whent hey get hit by balls. As many millions of kids play each year, you get a few freak accidents.

Thirteen boys died playing Little League baseball between 1987 and 1996, a new University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill study shows. During that decade, officials recorded 29,038 injuries.

Guest hotrodmama024

Ok... I have to put my $.02 cents in.

Go Harvick!!!

Why try and get your kids to not watch sports? First of all if anything you should be outside playing sports with your kids.. not letting them sit in the house worrying about him watching Nascar.

2nd.. Hey Patti... You know how hard it is to see my screenname on here and its not me? also people mistaking you as hotrodmama? Anyway is there a way i might convience you to changing your screen name? please?

Im not doubting that they have a inate physical ability above what i can handle in driving im not doubting they are athletic and have to be for what they do. What im saying is that it is boring and that the only people getting riled up are fans of it that fit typical nascar fan description in some way shape or form.

Hotrodmamma i have a hard time believing that you dont own a single shirt in your 20 years of being a fan with your favorite drivers name or number on it.

I enjoy making fun of nascar and its fans. Keep em coming.....

They're faster drivers, they just can't compete in a swarm of 40 guys who's only talent is bumping.

'cept for Montoya who was already very good at bumping in F1 and is working on perfecting this talent in NASCAR...he clearly understands the bumping principal as shown in one of his first outings in Mexico City where he dumped Pruett (his team mate no less) for the win!

If you can't beat 'em......

'cept for Montoya who was already very good at bumping in F1 and is working on perfecting this talent in NASCAR...he clearly understands the bumping principal as shown in one of his first outings in Mexico City where he dumped Pruett (his team mate no less) for the win!

If you can't beat 'em......

This is true, he's what keeps me reading NASCAR articles.

scott, you really see the talent seperate itself on the road courses. It's one of the only equalizers in the series

I believe Tony Stewart was working most of the so called "skilled" road racers around the road course. Not all NASCAR drivers are stock car specific either, I know Jr. and a few others have participated in the Rolex 24. Saying a NASCAR driver isn't talented is pretty weak. I just find it funny the drivers coming in from other forms that are good drivers, ain't doing shit for standings in NASCAR.

what? dude your full of it. go find a nascar fan that does'nt enjoy watching nascar, rally and worls challenge? that does'nt even go on in this counrty,this is America we watch stock car racing

Rallying is quickly becoming one of the most popular sports in this country since Rally AMERICA was bought by the X-Games, and the SPEED World Challenge IS AMERICAN....dumbass.

You're forgetting that Stewart IS one of those drivers that I'm talking about. His first championship was in a go cart way before he went into USAC. Don't forget he ran (and won a championship) in IRL before going to nascar too. He's definately one of the more experienced drivers in the field and far from being a good-ol boy. Just like Gordon, back in the day he would have been considered a "yankee" and an outsider. People tend to forget this though because he was established in the series before the most recent popularity boom. Same went for Rusty Wallace and Mark Martin before them.

I believe Tony Stewart was working most of the so called "skilled" road racers around the road course. Not all NASCAR drivers are stock car specific either, I know Jr. and a few others have participated in the Rolex 24. Saying a NASCAR driver isn't talented is pretty weak. I just find it funny the drivers coming in from other forms that are good drivers, ain't doing shit for standings in NASCAR.

You're forgetting that Stewart IS one of those drivers that I'm talking about. His first championship was in a go cart way before he went into USAC. Don't forget he ran (and won a championship) in IRL before going to nascar too. He's definately one of the more experienced drivers in the field and far from being a good-ol boy. Just like Gordon, back in the day he would have been considered a "yankee" and an outsider. People tend to forget this though because he was established in the series before the most recent popularity boom. Same went for Rusty Wallace and Mark Martin before them.

For someone who dispises the fact that I watch as much NASCAR as I do...you sure do know alot about it!

For someone who dispises the fact that I watch as much NASCAR as I do...you sure do know alot about it!

how could I reasonably try to talk you out of watching it if I wasn't at least a bit educated about it? Nobody comes to a debate without studying up...unless they want to lose.

Back when Indy cars were not all hondas, back when it was a great sport to watch, Tony Stewart raced in the Indy 500 and placed like 9th, then got in a helicopter flew to North Carolina and climbed in a NASCR Car and raced in the Coca-Cola 600 (Same Day). He placed like 4th in that race. He completed 1090 miles of the 1100 miles.

Tony can drive anything, he still races Midget cars on dirt. he told the media this year before the "Chili Bowl" in Tulsa that he would rather win the "Chili Bowl" than the "Daytona 500". Guess what, He won the 2007 Chili Bowl. I look forward to "Smoke" winning the "Nexttel Cup" as he is only 2 points behind Gordon.

I know Jr. and a few others have participated in the Rolex 24. Saying a NASCAR driver isn't talented is pretty weak.

Lol, Jr sucks at that. Talk about a kid who's name got him everything. Stewart and Gordon are prime examples of talent in the toilet. They're good, there's no doubt.

What you find funny is something that is common. It's just funny to you cuz you're ignorant of it. :p You're going to be your best at one thing, and do "ok" in other forms of it. A good marksman with a pistol has no garantee of hitting shit with a rifle.

Funny from an article about an ameteur 24hr race, in which the drivers must have a competiton liscense to compete. The most economical liscense?

...forcing each driver to fork over $75 for a NASCAR license as qualification for competition. If you’ve ever wondered what kind of training a NASCAR driver gets before hitting the big ovals, it’s this: writing your name and social security number on a piece of paper.