Anyone work for the State of Ohio?

MrMeanGreen

There's a position with the state I'm seriously debating on, I easily meet or surpass the qualifications and feel I have a good shot at it.

This would mean a small pay cut of about $2400/yr, not nearly the OT I get now, and losing my company car (with the free gas). On the other side, I'd have a 9-5 M-F job, I hear the state's benefits are ridiculous, and once you're in, that's it until you retire. I think within a year I could probably catch up or beat the salary I make now, but that's just a possibility. Plus, I'd be local instead of being gone all week on the road.

Trust me, I love my job now but also worry about the kids and me not being around. So I'm basically trying to get a feeler for what I should do, and if anyone works for the state government, how do you feel about it?

I can understand the situation you're in. I had to cut back on the travel as well and thankfully found a great opportunity that keeps me home all but maybe 30% of the time. The co. car and gas were nice but we've made due and it's not missed any longer.

A good friend of mine retired from a state job having spent 20+ years at the Department of Mental Retardation/Developmental Disabilities. He was pretty high up and retired with a good package and of course insurance. He now has a great gig doing consulting work through connections he made over the years.

The upside is security. The downside may be what your plans are for the future should you jump back to the private sector or commercial market. Again, I don't know your background, but you may also want to wiegh the career path options down the road and what your resume will look like. What will you gain from the move and how will it apply to the commercial sector should you make a move.

Security isn't assured anywhere today. Several states have been cutting back quite a bit. Another friend of mine in Florida just lost his job of 20+ years along with several of his coworkers due to budget cutbacks. He's in shock but in good spirts.

Best of luck. Let me know what area of work you are in. I may have some good connections.

i worked for the state for a while. the benefits are good, and defered comp is your best friend. some of the old timers at the prison would work 32+ ot a period and put all of it into defered comp. i think the max you can put in is 13k a year. it's not uncommon for people to have 10k waiting on them after a few years, plus the amount they've already paid into pers.

Just know that our raise system is shit, I have never in 10 years received a raise of any kind more than 4-5% and our Healthcare has quadrupled in that 10 years. I take home less money for each of the last 3 years because of health care. Seriously I took home more money 3 years ago. With the states budget frozen by Strickland last week, don't look for it to get any better for state employees anytime soon. Anthony, stay in the private sector make more money and start your own retirement, you will be better off. 10 years ago I started my healthcare with the state.

I paid $70 a month for single coverage in 1997, I got married in 2001, it went to $130 a month for family. In 2005 it went to $300 a month, In 2006 it went to $420 a month, in 2007 it is now $623 a month, In 2008 the plan I am on now will no longer be made available and I have to do an 80-20, or a Health Care Savings account or find Insurance somewhere else. And yes because of the accident I had to pay the $623 a month.

Tim, I can pretty much fix anything. I've got over a dozen years in the PC/IT field along with several certifications. I've got another ten years in electro-mechanics which ran parallel at times with my other experience. I'll send you a PM.

Chris, the State Auditor's office.

Ben, I pay $460/yr for full coverage medical insurance on me and my family. This is due to my retired status with the Navy after my broken neck, so private health care is not a concern. I'm just looking to possible transition to something long-term with good benefits and pay, that doesn't require me to travel as much or wait for a decade before getting into management, thanks to recent changes with my current organization.

I don't know anyone in the Auditor's office, unfortunately.

Working for the state will be a HUGE leap away from most of your recent jobs. Nothing gets done fast, you don't get any control over anything because there is a pecking order, and you have to be satiated with the mundane - even tedious - attitudes in the government sector.

You may say "Oh yea, that's fine, I can deal with bureaucracy and hens in the order, sitting on my ass, and never getting any real work done!" but it's more of a drag than you think. Christine's jump to the city hasn't been all fanfare, she's had to make serious adjustments to how she expects work to be and get done. Her program is one of the most progressive, if not the most progressive programs in the country, and she still feels like she is in a wasteland some days.

Chris, call me tonight so we can discuss things. I know Christine works in that sector, so I'd like to really hear more.

I honestly hate politics and bureaucracy, but it's rampant everywhere. No one will get away from it, unfortunately, me included.

It's a big decision, so I'm not sure. I can still apply and the worst they can tell me is no and the worst I can tell them is thanks for the offer.

I know a lot of people in other IT sectors of the State and with my own experiences through various non-profit clients over the years, I can provide some good advice. Can I call you during the day? I'm very busy tonight.

State gives you small raise, then raises the cost of say a "parking pass" just enough that it negates the cost. My dads worked for the state for 27 years now and is done with it. Way too much bullshit with the politics, entrenched employees, shrinking benefits, etc...

BTW, especially in that field they will dump your ass in a heartbeat for an outside contractor should it suit them.

Chris, call me whenever. I'm sitting at a customer's site in Dayton bored off my ass. We play the waiting game on parts and production support from the site on a consistent basis.

I'm just trying to play the field. I may ultimately decide to stay where I'm at for sure, but I at least wanna see if another opportunity arises should I decide to leave my current career. A few things in the recent months have pissed me off, so maybe I'm just being rash.

Chris, call me whenever. I'm sitting at a customer's site in Dayton bored off my ass. We play the waiting game on parts and production support from the site on a consistent basis.

A'ight, I'll try and give you a buzz a bit later today.

I work at a bank and trust me politics, red tape, and shrinking benefits are everywhere.

If you're complaining about small raises, then let me tell you that the only way to get a raise in the private IT sector is to go to another company. Raise? What's that?

My biggest concern is how much your resume takes a hit when you are there. If you get a state job it's hard to leave it because everything thinks govenment employees are lazy slobs. True or not, that is the perception.

There is no such thing as a safe job in the IT world. Just try to save money for the down times. Some of the best advice I've heard is to make as much money as possible as fast as possible, save it, and then retire. That sure beats a stable job.

I feel I want to get out of the IT world, but I really don't know where I would go.

The below is so, so true. I always tell people, especially those in sales, save it when you make it and spend it when you're not making it. So often I watch guys have great sales years, and get canned or have the business slow the following year. That new car/house/TV kinda sucks when it's all you have and even worse if it's not paid for.

Definitely pay yourself first and plan expenditures for future dates and when the money is in full.

Some of the best advice I've heard is to make as much money as possible as fast as possible, save it, and then retire. That sure beats a stable job.

I feel I want to get out of the IT world, but I really don't know where I would go.

ODJFS is the worst, bar none. When did you work over there? Were you on the OCEAN project?

I worked on the EBT project. I was there in 2004ish.

I know there are politics in all jobs, but the state's politics are based on actual politics.

Tim, I can pretty much fix anything. I've got over a dozen years in the PC/IT field along with several certifications. I've got another ten years in electro-mechanics which ran parallel at times with my other experience. I'll send you a PM.

Chris, the State Auditor's office.

Ben, I pay $460/yr for full coverage medical insurance on me and my family. This is due to my retired status with the Navy after my broken neck, so private health care is not a concern. I'm just looking to possible transition to something long-term with good benefits and pay, that doesn't require me to travel as much or wait for a decade before getting into management, thanks to recent changes with my current organization.

Is that just a standard dozen or bakers dozen?