Do you trust used car dealerships?

wnaplay1647545503

I don't think it's a matter of trust. As long as you are decently mechanically inclined and know what information to find out about, and know how to properly look over a car for condition you shouldn't have any suprises. Generally when looking for a car you have an idea of how much you want to spend and what you're willing to deal with. Personally mileage isn't so much a factor for me as long as I can see the records of maintanence done on a car and upon visual inspection everything is O.K..

I work for a small dealership and i would have to say it is just a matter of the people. The car business is pretty competitive and if you build a reputation of selling junk it will come back to haunt you. Just like verse said look it over make your best decision.

Heck, most of the dealerships I've looked at have been honest with me and I knew going in what I was looking at and looking for and have been told everything I needed. I've never bought a car from a dealership, but whenever I have looked, I've had a good experience. Drew's right, it's all about the people. Remember, you're the customer and if anything feels shady you can get out or change the deal.

I just bought my regal from a Toyota Dealership in Cleveland. it was nice and clean when I picked it up.

On the way home I noticed the car was studdering. Didn't think much of it. I was going to go over it when I got home anyways.

Come to find out 3 out of the 6 posts on the coil packs were shot. Then the next day I go to change the plugs and wire 6 was compeltely sliced and not even remotely connected to the actual end of the plug wire that goes onto the plug. Changed everything and the car runs like a damn dream now. :).

Small ones no. A bigger one yes. I bought a contour for my gf at a small used car dealer and he said it needed a trans mount. Turns out the trans mount bolts were broke off in the trans, the trans was getting ready to blow, a/c line had a whole in it, broken coil spring and some other little things.

Big HELL NO, here.

Bought my 95 Bonneville SSEi at a small place. Engine blew about two months later, found out they never completed the paperwork for the warranty I bought from them. Had to fight like hell, and in the end they ripped off the warranty company by claiming the warranty company f*cked up.

All the same to me...got the new(used) motor in, and a month later it blew again. By that time the warranty had lapsed, but the vendor's guarantee on the replacement motor was still in effect. Once again I had to fight, this time with the warranty company, then the vendor who sold them the motor. The first motor they sent out was f*cked. The dealer I went to for the work took out the spark plugs, turned the crank, and water shot 10 feet out of the plug hole.

They fought me again, and I told them I was hiring a lawyer and they gave in. The next motor held out until I sold it, then blew on the guy I sold it to.

Before that happened the supercharger shattered it's coupler. Unfortunately, it was the original S/C, so the warranty couldn't help me.

I also had to replace a front hub soon after the first replacement motor, that wasn't covered by the warranty.

I had the car just over a year.

ALWAYS get a pre-buy inspection at a factory dealer. If you're buying from a factory dealer, take it to a different one, if possible. If not, take it to a trusted mechanic. If the UC dealer won't agree to it, walk away, no matter how nice the car looks.

NEVER trust that a UC dealer is going to file paperwork. If they tell you it's been done, check on it.

I don't think it's a matter of trust. As long as you are decently mechanically inclined and know what information to find out about, and know how to properly look over a car for condition you shouldn't have any suprises. Generally when looking for a car you have an idea of how much you want to spend and what you're willing to deal with. Personally mileage isn't so much a factor for me as long as I can see the records of maintanence done on a car and upon visual inspection everything is O.K..

+1 As a customer, you should know everything about what you're buying and what to look for before you go through with it.

I've bought a few used vehicles from Kreiger Ford, and I've been very happy with them. The last thing I bought was an 01 Sonoma and I've put about 40,000 miles on her and she drives like a dream. As a matter of fact, not one god damn thing has gone wrong with that truck.

I know they get their used vehicles on trade-ins, not at auctions.

I don't know the name of the company, but my wife had a customer at her bank recently try to get a loan and found that he had an unpaid loan on his credit report. The loan was for a car he traded in to a dealer. The dealer never bothered to pay off the loan and sold his trade in to someone else and its a huge long nasty story, but several people have there hands in stuff that they are now gonna need lawyers to fix.

A dealer "Leon's Chevrolet" down in Marietta was shut down for pulling this type of thing except he was doing it for years and years totaling over 50 million dollars in loan frauds of different types.

Again never assume any dealer is being honest. Even an honest mistake can happen and that can cause just as much trouble.

Evan

I used to work for Ricart at the mega mall in the used department, till depolying witht the Air Force. I have seen people ge great buys and seen people come back 3 day later with problems. Would I trust Ricart, Yes 6 month 6k return policy. Cant beat it the only money you loose is tax and title, but if somethings wrong within the replacement agreement, shits all good. But I bought one of my cars from CarMAX and it was nice till my motor started knocking, from a factory Problem (PRE-CAT broke up, geting sucked into my engine, and they told me someone hollowed out my cat) only person to work on the car was me and them) so I ghetto riged it with about 5qt of noSMOKE and Lucas 1 and traded it in to a Mazda dealer on Morse & 270. And got my stang, No issues from It and got it for a good deal. You can get screwed where ever you go, just be smart, and try to screw them more than they are screwing you.

since katrina used car dealers have been buying tons of cars that have water damage and bringing up north and reselling them theres some kind of trick with the titles and getting rid of it and such. im not real sure about it i know a guy who deals with independant dealers all the time and thats what he told me.

Its called "title washing"....Out of state flood, salvage or other branded titles are "washed" clean of all ther brands when there re titled here in ohio..ohio is one of the few states who dos not honor out of state title brands ;)

I have never bought off of a used car dealership. Actually, I have never bought off of any dealership. Nevertheless, I have been in many dealerships, and have jewed them down for weeks. I beleive in, screw them over as much, or if not more than they would screw you over. I would never buy off of a "buy here, pay here" lot. However, a used car dealership in general, I would.

Jackson

I prefer to buy used from CR. The truck I bought from Ben had a few issues, and he was upfront about them. I am very happy with the price I paid, and have 13k on it, only the problems he told me about have required attention, no nasty surprises.

I have never bought off of a used car dealership. Actually, I have never bought off of any dealership. Nevertheless, I have been in many dealerships, and have jewed them down for weeks. I beleive in, screw them over as much, or if not more than they would screw you over. I would never buy off of a "buy here, pay here" lot. However, a used car dealership in general, I would.

Jackson

Low end BhPh lots sell low end cars that are just that low end stuff.

High end BhPh lots tend to have more money invested in there cars based on the fact that people who have bad to poor credit are there typical customers. If there car stops running they will just stop paying on it and go to another BhPh lot. For customer satisfaction to stay high in BhPh you need better quality vehicles. So buying a car cash from a BhPh lot will often times net you a vehicle that has already had major service work done to it before you purchase it.

I run a high end BhPh so I got the lowdown on how it all works.

Everyone can quote me on this

NEVER BUY A PERFORMANCE ORIENTED CAR FROM A BHPH LOT.

Daily drivers i would purchase all day long from them for cash.

Andy, I guess it is just all the shit I hear about good ol' "MOMS" used car lot. I know you know what I am talking about. Nevertheless, if you have had the car for 2 years, and lets say you only owe another year on it, and you are late one day with "MOMS". They will repo the car, they tell you, just come up to the shop and fill out some paperwork and get your payments current, and you may have your car back. WRONG. They will only let you have your car back, if you agree to start over from the begining.

Jackson