If you missed it, My Corolla.

Farkas

dude, what's up with the huge sticker on the windshield?

My buddy that owns shift-lock.net gave me one for free, but It's kind of a joke that started out on the west coast.

way to be different. I like seeing all kinds of cars that people work on. Even if it is an old Corolla. Now this isn't sarcasim, but what is the "look" you are going for? Nice project btw!

Late 70's and early 80's for a very short period of time circuit racers would mount their oil cooler on the front of their datsuns, nissans, toyotas etc. but for obvious reasons it was short lived. This is the real reason and look I was going for, which is hardly ever seen aside from the rediculous Bosozoku style cars which somewhat emulate that style in an over-the-top fashion.

Not sure if its for drifting or what but i like it a lot, has that nice built at home look while not looking like crap

Thanks, I really appreciate comments like this. It's purposely a track built drift car.. but it was at HIN because it's not running and I wasn't doing anything with it at the time, so why not show it off?

Gahanna cops will have a hay day with that missing headlight

Hahaha, I know this is true..

Hot--

But whats up with the ricer Turbo badge, on your non turbo whip?

Just as jon said.. it used to be Turbo, I was afraid to take it off in fear of pulling the paint off as well, but also it might be boosted in the far future. It was funny as hell to watch people look at the turbo badge and run to the front of the car looking for a turbo, then getting really confused.

East coast thaaaang Bro!

You know it or ya don't.

Still wouldn't put it on my car... but then again, i will rock a "Driftunit" sticker for the rest of my life, and a "Final Version" sticker too.... so i'm a loser

yeah, i suppose I just don't get out enough anymore. Last thing like that i remember being popular was the Hella-x stickers

Our friend out in Cali that works at SRT motorsports started putting those on his cars and sent some our way.

Not to bust your balls jon, but Carluch and Gittens had similarly worded stickers out east years ago, which started the trend

looks good other than the half assed oil cooler mounting. Looks like you slaped it on at the track between rounds becouse of heating issues. :thumbdown for unfinished work

I've held my tongue for 2 years, but reading this just cracked me up. You being critical of "unfinished work" is irony incarnate.

Not sure if you remember , but I certainly recall the "work" you did for me.

BTW, i think the car is totally unique and a good looking project.

At first, I was not a fan of the oil cooler. Since you had a shot of it already in your sig before you posted these photos, I honestly thought it was a joke. However, I like the fact that you integrated such a huge oil intercooler on your car without cutting the body. Props to that.

Here's what I would do...love the body, hate the fucking bumpers. Cut a massive relief into the front bumper to tuck the oil cooler a little closer to the front fascia. you can even drill holes to route the braided lines. It would allow such a large oil cooler to look like less of an afterthought and more part of the overall image you are trying to convey, without diminishing the usefulness of the cooler itself (in terms of airflow).

If I had photoshop skills, I'd show you what I'm talking about. :)

Also, where did you get such a massive oil cooler? I'm thinking that would be a wise investment for my diesel Chevy...

Not to bust your balls jon, but Carluch and Gittens had similarly worded stickers out east years ago, which started the trend

Well Colin was the first I'd ever seen with it on his car. You may be right, but that's all I know.

Also, where did you get such a massive oil cooler? I'm thinking that would be a wise investment for my diesel Chevy...

It's off an RX7.

At first, I was not a fan of the oil cooler. Since you had a shot of it already in your sig before you posted these photos, I honestly thought it was a joke. However, I like the fact that you integrated such a huge oil intercooler on your car without cutting the body. Props to that.

Here's what I would do...love the body, hate the fucking bumpers. Cut a massive relief into the front bumper to tuck the oil cooler a little closer to the front fascia. you can even drill holes to route the braided lines. It would allow such a large oil cooler to look like less of an afterthought and more part of the overall image you are trying to convey, without diminishing the usefulness of the cooler itself (in terms of airflow).

If I had photoshop skills, I'd show you what I'm talking about. :)

I'm pretty sure I get an idea of what you're trying to say. I am going to eventually invest in some JDM chrome bumpers which are literally 1/3 the size of the bumpers I have now. Even the ones currently on my car have been shortened quite a bit by the previous owner to try and replicate the look, but it's still not satisfying for me. Also the oil cooler is from a second gen RX7 and it's a very common oil cooler swap for crawlers and bigger trucks. It's a very practical investment since it has a built in thermostat as well. I picked mine up off ebay for 50 shipped.

These are the JDM chromies which are pretty hard to get ahold of.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m43/toycoolrolla/earlydx.jpg

not a fan of the boso style oilcooler set up, I showed my dad the pic's of your car and he chuckled, thats the type of cars he use to run around with in japan, but his was a 74 tureno with a built 2tg

It's not supposed to be boso in the least bit, but some people only see it that way. Regardless it's alright if people don't like it, I'mma do me. BTW, that's awesome your dad got a kick out of it. I used to have a built 2TG in this one too but it blew up. I made like 1500 dollars out of the blown motor and turbo lol.

I dig those chrome bumpers. With the oil cooler mounted underneath, as flush as possible to the front of the bumper, that would be a much better look.

Sooo...I did go to eBay. Is that a new kit, or is this one of them?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mishimoto-Universal-Oil-Cooler-Protege-Rx7-Rx8-Mirage_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ46095QQihZ013QQitemZ230260718817QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I like the simplicity of the sandwich plate between the block and the oil filter. My truck already has an oil cooler but it's tiny. Adding something a little bigger would really help out and add a little capacity too...

I dig those chrome bumpers. With the oil cooler mounted underneath, as flush as possible to the front of the bumper, that would be a much better look.

Sooo...I did go to eBay. Is that a new kit, or is this one of them?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mishimoto-Universal-Oil-Cooler-Protege-Rx7-Rx8-Mirage_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ46095QQihZ013QQitemZ230260718817QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I like the simplicity of the sandwich plate between the block and the oil filter. My truck already has an oil cooler but it's tiny. Adding something a little bigger would really help out and add a little capacity too...

Dont waste your time with a universal type kit. Yes that's for an RX7 but its nowhere near the same as the cooler that I have. Just search ebay for an OEM RX7 oil cooler. If your truck already comes with an oil cooler find out if it already has an inline oil thermostat or not. You may not need the sandwich plate, just AN fittings and lines with an oil cooler. If you need my help shoot me a PM.

It's not supposed to be boso in the least bit, but some people only see it that way. Regardless it's alright if people don't like it, I'mma do me. BTW, that's awesome your dad got a kick out of it. I used to have a built 2TG in this one too but it blew up. I made like 1500 dollars out of the blown motor and turbo lol.

He is a old school toyota lover, he imported his tureno back in 1989 and sold in 1994 to some guy in so cal. back then if in the military it only cost 500$ for all the fee's and stuff to make it legal in the states. He had 180 days to get the car inspected and new door and bumper beams welded in, after that it was good to go and he just cut the parts back out. I still remember being around 8 years old going to gardina in long beach to the TRD dealer they had there and him buying stuff, the car engine wise was built in japan, but was built from the ground up in the states after it came here. I remember one time I was in the back of a chevy blazer that was brand new at the time trying to hold a 2tg tranny from spilling its fluid in my dads new truck (I was prolly only around 75lbs) Either way he told me he spent over 25k in the car at the time, and ended up selling it for only 5k because he was having issues with my mom because of him working on the car 24/7 we still wonder if that car is still running around it was a 1.6 stroked to 2.0 with hks crank, rods and pistons back when hks still made rods and pistons,It was hi comp, he ran a mix of leaded race gas 24.7 back then they sold it at 86gas station at there pumps all the time, back when cali was not so anal about emissions 50mm sidedraft mikuni, tons of head work, it had cam's / spring ect ect The body was dipped brought to bare metal, the car was even preped under and sprayed the same color, he also ordered brand new doors from gardina toyota, ect then re sprayed a dark forest green type color and had old school watanabe rims on it. I remember that car coming to pick me up from school and having to sit down around the roll cage on a blinket, and the car was so freaken loud at the time I hated it .

• Confused 1

He is a old school toyota lover, he imported his tureno back in 1989 and sold in 1994 to some guy in so cal. back then if in the military it only cost 500$ for all the fee's and stuff to make it legal in the states. He had 180 days to get the car inspected and new door and bumper beams welded in, after that it was good to go and he just cut the parts back out. I still remember being around 8 years old going to gardina in long beach to the TRD dealer they had there and him buying stuff, the car engine wise was built in japan, but was built from the ground up in the states after it came here. I remember one time I was in the back of a chevy blazer that was brand new at the time trying to hold a 2tg tranny from spilling its fluid in my dads new truck (I was prolly only around 75lbs) Either way he told me he spent over 25k in the car at the time, and ended up selling it for only 5k because he was having issues with my mom because of him working on the car 24/7 we still wonder if that car is still running around it was a 1.6 stroked to 2.0 with hks crank, rods and pistons back when hks still made rods and pistons,It was hi comp, he ran a mix of leaded race gas 24.7 back then they sold it at 86gas station at there pumps all the time, back when cali was not so anal about emissions 50mm sidedraft mikuni, tons of head work, it had cam's / spring ect ect The body was dipped brought to bare metal, the car was even preped under and sprayed the same color, he also ordered brand new doors from gardina toyota, ect then re sprayed a dark forest green type color and had old school watanabe rims on it. I remember that car coming to pick me up from school and having to sit down around the roll cage on a blinket, and the car was so freaken loud at the time I hated it .

That engine alone would be worth atleast 6-8k now if he still had it.. That's amazing because you're lucky to find ANY aftermarket parts for that engine anymore. Ask him if he has any pictures, I definately want to check it out!

Guest GMoney
I saw this car at HIN and WOW this is one well put together car and very clean. I love it minus the oil cooler and window sticker, but to all there own. Very sharp car!