Whats your financial plan for retirement?

wnaplay1647545503

I just found out that all the money I was putting back for my retirement while with my last company is gone. 10 years worth. Due to a computer glitch, whenever I checked my balance it always stayed the same. So I basically thought nothing about it until I open up a letter from the company which handles the accounts and inside there is an apology and a brief explanation of why the error occured and that in fact my accounts are virtually empty at this point. I am not mad. I know its my fault for opting for the type of investing I had chosen. So I will try to start over again. Shy of robbing a bank, whats everyone else's plan?

401K, stocks, IRA...hope I have a rich relative. That sucks for you. They would not get away with a letter stating there has been a "computer glitch"....F that!!

I have statements being sent so I can pinpoint exactly when I became broke again. But shit happens. Shy of them stealing from me they did nothing wrong. I am just glad that I used the money from my painting and remodel companies to have my wife not work for the last 8 years. At one time I was going to drop this money into the same accounts. At least this way I have something to show for it. Maybe well balanced kids. Maybe.

I've been maxing out my 401K since I was 26, basically as soon as I got out of the Air Force. So between that and another house that I own outright that's worth about $150K, I'll be fine. I'll probably sell that in a few years, after the market picks back up. The house I live in will be paid off before I'm 50 and I hope to retire around 58 with a few million. Oh yeah, and the company I work for has a nice pension. If I stay here a good 25 years, there's a couple grand per month, just from that pension. My goal is to spend 6 months up north near the 1000 Islands in New York, the other 6 months down south somewhere... :cool:

"Roth IRA" and Life Insurance. I will retire at 55 and pull 35g a year from insurance for the first 4. Then 45, then blah blah blah

in 28 years $80k will have the same buying power as $35k

Railroad retirement ftw, if I have a wife when I'm 60 I get an extra 50%. Current retirees are seeing around $4k a month plus 50% ($6k), plus 401k, plus IRA, plus stocks and whatever else.

My uncle just retired Oct 1 with 42 years from the railroad. Conrail I think.

We will be setting up a Roth here shortly.

Small stack of cash in the Bank.

I do not think we will ever be able to "retire and move south". A part time job will probably always be necessary :( The way this ecomomy is going, my 401k has hit the crapper and lost damn near 45%. Luckily, what I have put into it is still there. The Company's Match, and the profit it made.....not-so-much.

I think our WHole Life Ins reaches it's peak when I am ~65. Cash that out, and it should be $1m-ish.

For us, it will be determined on how life goes, and money flows.

KillJoy

Plan is to continue saving and investing the income from my wife's law practice. We live off mine less the 401k contribution and use hers for life after 50. This month marked the 10th year for her being in business.

Now I don't plan on robbing a bank, but I do keep my eyes open for any bags of money on the side of the road from a Brinks truck or something :bangbang:

I think when I turn 65, I'm gonna find some really old lonely millionaire chick that's got one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel.

Seriously though, I have a rental property and the house I'm currently living in. I will probably pick up another rental property sometime fairly soon. I have some money in the bank from an inheritance. I have a couple 401K's.

I'm not too worried about it. Whatever happens, happens.