What air compressor is in your garage?

hpfiend

Hey guys/gals-

I have been looking for awhile now at air compressors and know that most professional shops use 60-80 gallon 2 stage 5 hp minimum 240V compressors from previous questions I have asked.

However- what do most of you actually have in YOUR garage? Those 60 gallon compressors are nice but you have to anchor them to the floor, and they take up a lot of space, and not really that big of a deal but you do have to run 220 to them.

If I could find a horizontal unit that was of similar specs I would buy it and put it in my crawlspace and run lines through the wall/floor to the garage- however I don't have a lift nor run a shop from my garage and I don't even currently have a project vehicle but I know that will change- so maybe these specs are overkill...

Also it seems a lot are rated at 5hp peak but only 1.6/1.7 running. My dad has a 5 hp honda gas motor portable job with probably 4 foot long small diameter dual tanks that works great. He added a 20 gallon vertical tank in line with it when he isn't trying to carry it around it's actually not bad- noisy but not bad. I am thinking one of those horizontal 30-35 gallon ones with a 5 hp peak electric motor and single stage pump for 299.00 might do me right and I can add a spare 20 gallon tank like my dad did if need be? The one I am looking at is 110V but I would be open to 220.

I have seen guys use impacts on those crafstman tankless units before but I think they are just trying to save elbow grease on loose bolts not bust loose big rusty fasteners (suspension/lug nuts).

So- what do you use?

Thanks!

I have a 26 gallon 1.7hp oilless husky at my house it runs most air tools ok but it can't keep up with a sander or a grinder .Its really loud.

my old compressor I left at my parents was a 1940's vintage westinghouse with a 60 gallon tank and a 10hp 220v motor running a single stage pump this unit is very quiet

whatever kind of compressor you get try to stay away from the oil free kind they are loud as hell

what are you trying to do with it? I went through a couple of the maintenance free ones that were like 5hp max and 26 gals. once I got into heavy use of the garage, i.e. 10-15 hrs a week these things werent cutting it.

I stepped up to the 80 gallon 2 stage husky compressor. takes up maybe a 36" square in the garage. I didnt mount it to the floor and it doesnt move around or try to walk away. I paid about 900 for it new from home depot but did it on 12/mo interest free finance.

I have a 7HP 60gal FarmHand from Tractor Supply. I have never had to wait on it before. It is one that can be anchored to the floor, but I just kept it on the pallet that it came on. I had to wire 220 into the garage, but it was worth it. If you plan to use air tools often then I suggest to go big!

I have a 7HP 60gal FarmHand from Tractor Supply. I have never had to wait on it before. It is one that can be anchored to the floor, but I just kept it on the pallet that it came on. I had to wire 220 into the garage, but it was worth it. If you plan to use air tools often then I suggest to go big!

mine:

http://www.powercomplete.com/pc/images/items/hg_BeltDriveAirCompressorsBeltDriveVertical-CampbellHausfeldSinglestagetwocylinder3RunningHPcastiron60GalAirCompressorVT6195.jpg

I have a 32 gallon Husky with the 5 hp oil less motor. Its loud. But the nice thing is that its on wheels. If I need to take it to a friends house to work on something...I can. If I need to move it anywhere its no problem at all. Also, it was cheap. I got it a homedepot for....$199 I think with the hose, impact wrench, air ratchet, die grinder, and other stuff.

Campbell Hausfield 25-30 Gallon (don't remember which). It is the horizontal model and takes up more space than it is worth :( I am thinking of putting it in the attic portion of the Garage once I drywall it.

It is ok for small stuff, but, it will not keep up w/ extended air tool usage :(

KillJoy

Read closely to what has already been stated.

I have a 60gal Craftsman 7.5 horse thats louder then hell.

I also have an 80gal Ingersol Rand 5 horse.

The Rand is my Primary Compressor, thats tied into the Craftmans. Total I have 140gal and never run out of air. Thats with multiple tools using the system.

I would recommend at least a 60gal compressor even if you dont think your going to use it to it capacity. When you'll really need it it will be there.

TSC in Pickerington has an IR with a blown pump (comes with new pump) and warranty still available for $850. I was just in there 2 days ago. I thought about buying it myself. I wouldnt hesitate to get it.

Guest 614Streets
60 gallon Campbell Hausfeld. I went to the Andersons and they had a red painted 60 gallon reman unit for $299. I took the slip to an older gentleman at the tool department and rang it up. When I went out back to have the workers load the compressor, they had a brand new Blue 60 gallon unit pulled for me. Did I say anything? - Streets