Auto Shows: Raise your hand...

zeitgeist57

Thank the EPA and the NHTSC, plus the need to one-up the next manufacturer. It's all about getting better mileage while weighing more and more. Used to be that manuals got better mileage because of less slippage. But Automatics have become more efficient, and the new automated manuals are even more so. You're going to see Auto-Manuals more and more.

+140,000

I did the tiptronic BS for a while and there is just no substitute. RS4 is quickly becoming becoming part of a VERY short list. :(

Isn't that still a classic Auto? The Automated Manuals should feel more like a stick (engine braking, neutral, etc) when in manual mode. Just no clutch. The EvoX stays in gear unless the engine will stall, but it'll let you bounce off the limiter. And I believe if you pull both paddles you'll get neutral.

A stick is still more fun, but the new paddle transmissions are a far cry from manually shifting the old Autos. To be honest though, I think I'd prefer a paddle box on a road course.

Isn't that still a classic Auto? The Automated Manuals should feel more like a stick (engine braking, neutral, etc) when in manual mode. Just no clutch. The EvoX stays in gear unless the engine will stall, but it'll let you bounce off the limiter. And I believe if you pull both paddles you'll get neutral.

A stick is still more fun, but the new paddle transmissions are a far cry from manually shifting the old Autos. To be honest though, I think I'd prefer a paddle box on a road course.

Not sure what box of fail and aids cereal you are eating, but you are probably confused on the car.

RS4 = 420hp 4.2 N/A V8 w/ a 6spd manual.

http://images.europeancarweb.com/images/0703_ec_01_z+audi_rs4_mtm+front_view.jpg

Ahem:

Oh,

You didn't highlight any particular portion of my post until now. :D

I retract the previous statement.

Yeah the tip is a "traditional" automatic with selective lockup in most gears. Nothing like a DSG Or Dual Clutch/S-Tronic. I'd still rather row my own.

Do you guys know how hard it is to shift gears while talking on the phone and drinking a Starbucks??

It's the way of the world. Technology is getting better, majority of people don't enjoy true driving anymore, pure laziness. Pick your reason.

Went to Cleveland auto show and we went to the Honda/acura area, i reached in an RDX popped the hood and opent the hood to show my Brother&father-in-law how the upper part of the grill is actually a ram air type system into the intercooler, I see a concerned auto show person quickly make her way to protect the 40K little suv.

she says, "can i help you?"

I say, "oh yeah, i was just showing them how this blows into the intercooler"

"ah"

"Yes, i work at the marysville plant where they make this"

He look of consern leaves and she says, "thank you, because of you I would not have this job."

I thought that was kinda cool.

I'm getting tired of driving in stop and go rush hour traffic with a clutch. If I didn't have to deal with that every time I drive home from work, I wouldn't be considering an auto right now. But that's alright, I can still shift the quad.

I'm getting tired of driving in stop and go rush hour traffic with a clutch. If I didn't have to deal with that every time I drive home from work, I wouldn't be considering an auto right now. But that's alright, I can still shift the quad.

F

A

I

L

Bah.. I commuted through Boston MA in a 6-speed TA. I don't mind traffic with a stick, clutch work is like breathing, I don't even notice it.

F

A

I

L

Thank you, Joneze. I knew there would be two types of comments to this thread:

1) "Waah...my left foot is tired from all the horrible Ohio traffic...waaaah!!!

2) Autos are better, and the auto companies know Americans are fat and lazy...

Both are just really lame excuses...