When do you change your oil?

thorne

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wife's beater '99 sentra--- 10w40 every 3k miles--only holds 3.5qts which gets dirty fast

'05 exploder---20w50 semisynthetic every 4k miles

'87 stang--10w40 twice a year--car gets driven less than 1k miles/yr

'05 GTO--5w30 mobil 1 synthetic every 6 months or 3k miles, whichever comes first

'04 cobra--5w30 mobil 1 synthetic every 6 months-- 1,500 miles roughly

I do all of my vehicles every 3,000-3,500. I don't think I have ever run my Impala until the oil life monitor says to. I work with a guy who has a 4 cyl.

S10 that he let go 75,000 miles between oil changes. He said he got about a quart of sludge out of the pan and that was it. This particular truck now has over 150,000 miles on it, and he has had better luck with this truck than I ever have with any vehicle. Go figure.

Guest Removed
Bull. I doubt they use Mobil 1 in Japan. Read your owner's manual. I'd be shocked if it says you must use Mobil 1.

mobil 1 is one of the few oils out that meet certain requirements for oem specs

oh and japan has mobil one...

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/exxonmobil/index.jsp?ndmConfigId=1001106&ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20080222005465&newsLang=en&vnsId=667

more on mobil in japan http://www.exxonmobil.com.sg/AP-English/cc_technology_technomobil.aspx

Guest Removed
Ahh, of course, because Japanese engines have completely different lubricating properties......

Read your manual.

mobil 1 is recommened by more overseas auto mkers then all of them that are here..

odoyle, its put together here. the engines get shipped here to get bolted in :gtfo:

What's sad is there seems to be virtually no solid data to say what's best.

My dads truck is saying around 10k miles, at least checking the oil for color and consistency seems to say it's doing fine. That's how I checked my oil in my Pathfinder and went 7k miles between changes.

Guest Removed
Regardless, I highly doubt a specific oil is mentioned in the warranty. Now a TYPE or weight, sure.. But not brand.

Type has everything to do with it. better start double checking what they want for a API Rating's and what not.

I change every 3-4k in my saturn with whatever is on sale at the zone, usually tends to be penzoil for some reason lol. The camaro gets it every 3k or 5-6 months.

I had a friend wait 50-75k between changes in his 99 cougar 3.0l and it was fine until 160k when it spun a bearing!

Type has everything to do with it. better start double checking what they want for a API Rating's and what not.

reread what he said. he said brand had nothing to do with it.

i switched from mobil 1 to amsoil. i searched alot on corvette forum and there have been a few engine blow because of post Katrina mobil 1 blend. things were not much better for royal purple or redline. amsoil seemed to not have any problems from what i was able to find on there. granted the engines that blew were road race engines that was good enough reason for me to switch.

the vette i used to change every 3k or less depending on how many autocrosses and track days were on it. now i am going to go for 4k.

the TBSS will get it every 5k and will be getting switched over to amsoil as well.

ashleys CTS-V will be getting switched from mobil 1 at 3k to amsoil at 5k.

(p.s. ashley, we are switching oil in your car and miles. surprise lol)

Guest Removed
reread what he said. he said brand had nothing to do with it.

i switched from mobil 1 to amsoil. i searched alot on corvette forum and there have been a few engine blow because of post Katrina mobil 1 blend. things were not much better for royal purple or redline. amsoil seemed to not have any problems from what i was able to find on there. granted the engines that blew were road race engines that was good enough reason for me to switch.

the vette i used to change every 3k or less depending on how many autocrosses and track days were on it. now i am going to go for 4k.

the TBSS will get it every 5k and will be getting switched over to amsoil as well.

ashleys CTS-V will be getting switched from mobil 1 at 3k to amsoil at 5k.

(p.s. ashley, we are switching oil in your car and miles. surprise lol)

i under stand that, but some brands, dont meet certain api ratings for some cars. its like changing the oil in a northstar with cheap autozone oil.

i under stand that, but some brands, dont meet certain api ratings for some cars. its like changing the oil in a northstar with cheap autozone oil.

there is no help for a northstar no matter what oil you put in it......

Ahh, of course, because Japanese engines have completely different lubricating properties......

Read your manual.

Im not trying to be a douche,im just relaying information given to me by a DEALER.My civic got totaled anyways.

The problem with most people and oil changes is, they see that it is recommended to change every 3000, 5000, 7500, 10k 15k, etc but people neglect the FILTER. You should still change the filter every 3-5k at least!!!

Also, as has been mentioned, many of the recommended oil change intervals are for regular driving which consists of zero stop and go/city driving. For best results, get an oil test on your oil and determint the proper interval from that or just keep changing it more frequently such as 3-5k.

Im not trying to be a douche' date='im just relaying information given to me by a [b']DEALER[/b].My civic got totaled anyways.

I wouldn't trust a dealer farther than I could throw his business. The amount of misinformation I've heard from dealerships is disturbing when they really should know better. This one piece of BS is probably to scare you into having your oil changes done at the dealership since most quick-change places don't use Mobil 1. What I'm saying is that you should look at your manual and then choose the oil that meets the manufacturer's needs and works best for you. Don't feel locked into Mobil 1 since it's such a finicky oil.

Thorne, to hit on your question about your friend's 135i....ever since BMW (and other OEM's for that matter) started offering "free maintenance" for the first few years of a vehicle's life....all of a sudden the maintenance intervals doubled. :mad:

SO. If he is leasing the vehicle, then I'd say let him get the free stuff at 15K and don't worry about it. If he actually intends on owning the car one minute out of warranty/lease then he better change it much more often than that. Plus with the newer direct injected engines many people are having severe fuel dillution problems. Check out BITOG for more info on that.

As for my vehicles: The old truck gets standard Valvoline every 3K, the M3 gets mobil 1 every 3-ish K, and the FD gets dino Castrol every one thousand miles...fuel dillution is a bitch.

I had one just like that not too long go on a villager. i had to fill it, run it, and drain it again. lol

I always do mine at about 2500-3000 because i drive my car hard as fuck almost constantly.

when I was probably 14, I changed the oil on both of my dads cars. the milage was scratched onto the oil filter. 1 was 60k miles over and the other was 90k miles since the last time that a new filter was put on.