You know for as much as people hate on civics.....

SpaceGhost

My mom brought me her 98 EX, almost 62K miles. :lol:

In 11 years it had never had new brakes, Car runs perfect, Even after 11 winters I got the calipers off and apart and cleaned them, I gave her new pads and rotors and new fluid. Changed the oil just for kicks. I mean parts for this car are dirt fucking cheap. I got front rotors and pads for $60. I spent another 30 on Fluid, Brake cleaner, 4 quarts of oil and a filter. DId all this for under $100. I am so glad I told my mom to buy that car in 98.

The only negative of the day was smashing my thumb, I was so trying to not have a finger injury doing this. I some how always manage to smash a thumb or finger in the process and at the very end I did it. Dammit! Oh well, maybe next time.....

Edited by Benjamin

How bad is it rusting?

My mom bought her Civic new in 95...got the typical rust issues around the rear quarters, exhaust rusted off, numerous parts replacement for a car that probably doesn't even have 100k on it now, and spent a few years garaged. Gave it to my brother (who luckily drives like a sissy, so he hasn't broken anything on it).

Nothing really "bad" has happened to the car, luckily...that said, it was basically a stripper DX with A/C (not even a factory stereo, no power steering, manual windows/locks/etc.) so there is a lot less stuff to break on it.

It was a good buy for her, and she ended up with a 2-door Accord with some options this time, but nothing I'd write home about. I wonder when her Accord will start rusting (01 she bought very low mileage a couple years ago).

How bad is it rusting?

My mom bought her Civic new in 95...got the typical rust issues around the rear quarters, exhaust rusted off, numerous parts replacement for a car that probably doesn't even have 100k on it now, and spent a few years garaged. Gave it to my brother (who luckily drives like a sissy, so he hasn't broken anything on it).

Nothing really "bad" has happened to the car, luckily...that said, it was basically a stripper DX with A/C (not even a factory stereo, no power steering, manual windows/locks/etc.) so there is a lot less stuff to break on it.

It was a good buy for her, and she ended up with a 2-door Accord with some options this time, but nothing I'd write home about. I wonder when her Accord will start rusting (01 she bought very low mileage a couple years ago).

Yeah rear quarter panels are starting, but to be fair it's never seen a garage ever, unless it was in mine to melt snow. :) I think the body will give out before the drive line.

I just picked up a 98 civic lx from the original owner for my wife to daily, its got low miles for the year, and was cheap, hopefully we'll see 35mpg and it'll take 50k miles in the next year or so.

Reliable? Sure. Just absolutely zero fun factor.

Like I said, it's my Mom's car she's a grandma, she could care less about fun in a car. I am doing/paying for the maintenance, parts for that car are stupid cheap and easy to find.

i have a 93 i payed 900 for last sept. I hate driving it, however it runs like a champ i have the 1.5 motor and i see alomost 40mpg Compared to the 12 i was seeing on the subi and 18 on my dodge truck, i want to sell it but everytime i think about it i relize how awesome it is to have a free car with 40mpg in this economy.

Ha, I had and 85 CRX that was like that. That how I ran it for 3 years.

Ran it in a tuff truck contest at the croton fair. Then the next year after sitting for a year it started right up.

BUT the back brakes had locked up so tight that we blew the clutch out trying to get them unfrozen.

I have had a number of honda's they always ran w/ little problems. I would use one as a DD in a heart beat.