WTB bike rack for car

smokin5s

like the title says, looking for a bike rack for the trunk lid of the car... Walmart has them for 40 dollars brand new... just figured maybe someone would have one laying around that they aren't using and wanted to sell on the cheap.

40 seems pretty darn cheap lol. they all screw up the car just the same...

+1, I even put towels under all the mounting points and it took about the size of a quarter off my trunk lid in one trip to myrtle beach and back, i was fuckin pissed.

hmmmm then maybe I'll just use the luggage rack on the top of my Blazer and call it a day then... I was trying to avoid doing that.

Do they need to be outside of the car? If you have a blazer, unless the car is filled, you should be able to throw the back seats down and easily fit a bike or three in the back.

$40 is dirt cheap for one of those, and you should consider that one expendable and be happy if it last for very long. GL on getting one chepaer than that.

To expand on the hitch mounts the other consensus was that 1 1/4" wasn't strong enough, that you 'need' a 2" receiver. I was just thinking it could be very easy if he already had a hitch. I hate those trunk mount death contracptions.

he smaller receiver hitch isn't sturdy enough. I have seen them twist off.

If you check out the bigger rack mfr's, none of them produce a 4-bike rack in anything less than a 2" receiver. The 1-1/4" just doesn't have enough strength for four bikes, the weight of the rack and the pressure of wind at highway speeds.

I have a guy at work that takes his bike to go riding every weekend; he has a truck and still uses the hitch-mounted bike rack. It's the best way to go.

No, if you have a truck, put it in the back of the truck. End of story. Unless your some road biker spandex wearing primadonna with a $10K bike... then you still put it in the truck bed, but put a mount system in there so you're not just tossing it in the back.

Hitch mounts can do 1 thing, and they do them well, and that's to carry a bike (or two or three or four). They also do this with little of the aero drawbacks of the roof racks. But they can't do anything else, which is where the added versatility of the roof mount systems are nice.

I bike and ski, and a cargo top would be nice for trips. I would love a roof mount system, but I can't justify the $$$ right now. Might still piece one together from craigslist/ebay after I do some more research to see what all I need and if I can do it for a reasonable price.

I disagree with the 1 1/4 deal I sell them all the time in 4 bikes and in the 40 years we have been in business we have never had a single issue. The reason the trunk mounted racks are scratching cars is probably because they were either put on wrong or some walmart $40 Chinese junk, or both. Again I sell probably over 100 trunk mounted car racks a summer and I have never had a person complain of scratches in my 3 years of working there.

Hitch mount FTW. I have a 1.25" receiver and have no issues, but it was close to $200

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c192/BertoBizkit/06%20Civic/Civic_Bikerack_2.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c192/BertoBizkit/06%20Civic/Civic_Bikerack_1.jpg

you can also use it to carry your cornhole boards.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c192/BertoBizkit/06%20Civic/DSC02851.jpg

Hitch mount FTW. I have a 1.25" receiver and have no issues, but it was close to $200

I guess you have to consider what you are carrying on it. Notice the post I had that said 'no good manufactures make a 4 bike rack in 1.25" ' and this is also on a mountain bike forum. You are carrying 2 (what look to be pretty nice, light) road bikes. I know at least one of those is yours and you have a nice road bike (relatively very light). Those weight nothing. If you are carrying 3 steel wally world 'comfort' bikes, you are talking about a lot more weight and wind resistance/down force. Just assuming on the # of people as he said he has a daughter in the back.

Anyways, this is kind of a moot point for him unless he already has a hitch mount, like I originally said.

200 FTL :(

While $200 is 'expensive', understand Berto is a biker. $200 is shit compared to what a nice bike cost and knowing it won't randomly fall off is some nice insurance. Also like I said in my original post, don't expect much for $40 from Walmart. It will be disposable, and possibly at a time you are driving down the road. I'm not bashing you by an means by trying to find a used one for a deal, but you will almost always get what you pay for, ESPECIALLY new. That's a relative large, stressed, and complicated item to expect very much except for failure for $40 (whether we are talking about a hitch mount or trunk mount).

I disagree with the 1 1/4 deal I sell them all the time in 4 bikes and in the 40 years we have been in business we have never had a single issue.

Let me guess, you work at bike source? :rolleyes:

You don't know that because you haven't worked there for 40 years, and I can also just about guarantee that hitch mounted bike racks haven't been around for that long either.

Let me guess, you work at bike source? :rolleyes:

You don't know that because you haven't worked there for 40 years, and I can also just about guarantee that hitch mounted bike racks haven't been around for that long either.

Haha no that place is a joke and i would NEVER work there. I have fixed far too many mistakes made by columbus bike shops.

I guess you have to consider what you are carrying on it. Notice the post I had that said 'no good manufactures make a 4 bike rack in 1.25" ' and this is also on a mountain bike forum. You are carrying 2 (what look to be pretty nice, light) road bikes. I know at least one of those is yours and you have a nice road bike (relatively very light). Those weight nothing. If you are carrying 3 steel wally world 'comfort' bikes, you are talking about a lot more weight and wind resistance/down force. Just assuming on the # of people as he said he has a daughter in the back.

Anyways, this is kind of a moot point for him unless he already has a hitch mount, like I originally said.

Good manufacturers? WHo do you consider good? Saris makes a 4 bike 1 1/4.

http://www.saris.com/p-306-t-rax-sport.aspx

Thule makes one as well

http://www.thuleracks.com/product.asp?dept_id=8&sku=957

I just ninja smacked a bug that was flying around in my face.

Haha no that place is a joke and i would NEVER work there. I have fixed far too many mistakes made by columbus bike shops.

There are some good shops in Columbus.

So on a serious note, I am a real local biker, where do you work?

I just ninja smacked a bug that was flying around in my face.

There are some good shops in Columbus.

So on a serious note, I am a real local biker, where do you work?

I work at Y-Not in Lexington. Own 4 bikes and ride them all regularly. I have seen some shady work by Bike Source and some dangerous work done by Tri-Tech. Thats not to say they are all bad but those are two that stick out.

I work at Y-Not in Lexington. Own 4 bikes and ride them all regularly. I have seen some shady work by Bike Source and some dangerous work done by Tri-Tech. Thats not to say they are all bad but those are two that stick out.

I don't even know who tri-tech is. Bike source is a bunch of fucking tards. Gave them one chance, like a lot of other shops, when I was buying my bike 2.5 years ago and never again. Bought my bike from Northland cyclery, always seem like some good guys whenever I go in there. Even if roll is/seems yuppie they've always been really cool and knoweldegable when I've stopped in. I will say I've never had any work done anywhere in Columbus as I do everything I can myself, but I wouldn't hesitate to take my bike to these or some other shops if there was something I wasn't able or willing to do myself.

Do you mountain bike at all?

I don't even know who tri-tech is. Bike source is a bunch of fucking tards. Gave them one chance, like a lot of other shops, when I was buying my bike 2.5 years ago and never again. Bought my bike from Northland cyclery, always seem like some good guys whenever I go in there. Even if roll is/seems yuppie they've always been really cool and knoweldegable when I've stopped in. I will say I've never had any work done anywhere in Columbus as I do everything I can myself, but I wouldn't hesitate to take my bike to these or some other shops if there was something I wasn't able or willing to do myself.

Do you mountain bike at all?

Yes quite a bit. I ride a Fisher X-Caliber 29er. Ride mohican as much as I can and Rays in the winter in my SS Mullet. Road bikes I have a Klein quantum race and an SS Trek 1000.

How about yourself?

Yes quite a bit. I ride a Fisher X-Caliber 29er. Ride mohican as much as I can and Rays in the winter in my SS Mullet. Road bikes I have a Klein quantum race and an SS Trek 1000.

How about yourself?

Just a lowly Giant Yukon.

Only modifications to speak of are 1x9 w/bash guard. I usually ride Alum.

Would love to ride Mohican sometime, but from what I hear my out of shape ass might die on those hills. Ever make it down to Alum on the weekends?

My riding buddies go to rays pretty often during the winter but I've never been able to make it yet due to my schedule (traveling for work and ski patrol).