If you had to v6 now v8 later

wnaplay1647545503

Guest Removed
Doesnt seem any different than what can be found around here for the same price.

its way cheaper then whats around here...

and jerry you spend too much time on ebay

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Removed
Unless you're building a car with a big budget, I've really started wanting to do a foxbody. Swap parts are so much easier to come by, money wise anyway. If you want a V8 Camaro just buy one with a V8 in it.

thats what im saying..i have seen 15 foxs for under 1000...

and i have enough parts here to build 2 or 3.:D

its way cheaper then whats around here...

and jerry you spend too much time on ebay

Same year but with tranny problems. Didnt you just state you see them for $500? Theres almost one fboday a week priced under $1k with problems. That one in PA has been in 2 accidents and has problems.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/1316551656.html

Same year but with tranny problems. Didnt you just state you see them for $500? Theres almost one fboday a week priced under $1k with problems. That one in PA has been in 2 accidents and has problems.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/1316551656.html

lol there is no picture for a reason man. hell this one probably has been in accident as well. just because carfax says its clean doesnt mean it is. you have alot of body shops that dont report to carfax. Also people not turning wrecks into the insurance companies and will pay out of pocket to get it fixed else where. So car fax isnt 100% accurate. It is a good starting point though.

Unless you're building a car with a big budget, I've really started wanting to do a foxbody. Swap parts are so much easier to come by, money wise anyway. If you want a V8 Camaro just buy one with a V8 in it.

At what cost is the question. Say you take a reasonably priced v8 car like alot of guys do($8k). Then you mod it. lets say 2k in mods. So your at $10k

Now you take a v6 car($2800), donor car which pays for itself(free). Now how badass of a motor can you build for $7200?

Am I the minority in thinking this way?

At what cost is the question. Say you take a reasonably priced v8 car like alot of guys do($8k). Then you mod it. lets say 2k in mods. So your at $10k

Now you take a v6 car($2800), donor car which pays for itself(free). Now how badass of a motor can you build for $7200?

Am I the minority in thinking this way?

What about the shitty weak rear end in v6' cars?

What about the shitty weak rear end in v6' cars?

More use for the donor car parts or take some of the $7200 and build a really strong rear end.

To me it sounds better than buying a used v8 car and a month later you find out the previous owner ragged that sunofabitch.

I look at it like all my previous project and cars. If your going to spend the money make it be worth what your paying. And who is going to tell you they beat the shit out of their car every other weekend.

Ummm i bought my car wich is a 98 for 3,400. engine work with parts 2k ish. wheels outside apperance. 2,500 so roughly 7,900 in mine

Okay so $7900. Is it what you want? Is it as fast as you want? Is it in nice condition?

Please dont take this the wrong way, I am really curious how people justify how they put their money into their cars. I havent had a car since the chevelle was totalled but now I am getting to where I want something but cant decide.

How much is in the whole car?

Buying it

mods

body work

repairs

?????

?????

Well in my case,

$26k, it was new

$10-12k

$0

$0

If I was to do it all over again today, with the only objective to be fast and just look decent, I'd buy a Z28 for $5-6k, and blow $10k on suspension and drivetrain.

If you bought a V6 Camaro for $3-4k to get a decent one (unless you get really lucky and find one blown up), nothing from a V6 car bolts up, nothing. Not the tranny, not the k-member, nothing, so now you spend an extra $1k swapping stuff. Just doesn't seem like it worth the trouble.

Obviously I'm talking about 98+ LS1 f-bodys, LT1s are cheaper but I wouldn't want to build one of those. I wouldn't want to build a Ford Mod motor either, which is why a foxbody is so appealing. They are becoming so much cheaper to build, because most of the parts go dirt cheap. That turbo kit Dyno Brian was talking about really makes me want to go find a decent fox.

Scott, $26k is more than I would ever pay for a car myself. Do you think it was worth it looking back? Is it as fast as you want or did the mods make it the car you wanted?

I wanted one that was new, and honestly I don't regret it. I could of and should have done it a lot cheaper. Blowing up the stock short block set me back a lot too. I've learned a lot of hard lessons owning this car. Before this car I had not rode in a car that was spraying, had a stall convertor, big cam, or anything that ran faster then 12s, I was a total noob. I had grown up fixing cars and kart racing, nobody I knew was into modding their car. If I had to do it all over again I'd have bought a 99 for $10k less, used, and started with that. I would have picked my mods a little better, and would have reached my goals. I still don't regret what I've done, the car now has more potential then ever. It's cost me lots more because I was learning, but the car is coming together. Hindsight is 20/20, I love my car regardless.

See thats the honesty you dont get from alot of guys. When I was buildin my chevelle the guys I knew were into the import seen. Finding an import at that time that could have posted a challenge was very uncommon at least among the guys out racing. Then the chevelle was totalled by a drunk driver and I havent had anything since. I have wanted something for a few years now. But I want to take what others have learned and improve on that. But I cant find a platform I like to get started with. I planned on getting a vette this year but shit happened. So now I am think camaro or mustang but nothing has caught my eye yet.

See thats the honesty you dont get from alot of guys. When I was buildin my chevelle the guys I knew were into the import seen. Finding an import at that time that could have posted a challenge was very uncommon at least among the guys out racing. Then the chevelle was totalled by a drunk driver and I havent had anything since. I have wanted something for a few years now. But I want to take what others have learned and improve on that. But I cant find a platform I like to get started with. I planned on getting a vette this year but shit happened. So now I am think camaro or mustang but nothing has caught my eye yet.

I think you should just decide which one you like better and start building. I hope you're not just trying to decide on what makes more sense money wise, because that can only end in disapointment.

from some one that is about to do this exact thing, id say its just a matter of what your looking for out of thr car. For instance if you want a fast street car that still has options like ac and power windows, just save your self the trouble and buy a v8 car because one way or another its gonna cost you more for the car alone. But if you dont care about that stuff, go pick up a cheap bare bones car and do the swap because you will end up with a car that will weigh alot less along with saving money on it. (Mine weighs just over 3k pounds) and i only paid 2300 for it.

There are more options than mustangs or camaros. You may not find anything thats as cheap to mod, but if thats a concern you prolly shouldn't be building it. It just seems everyone is f-body or fox, not that there is anything with it..... Just saying