Recession - Are You Cutting Back?

KillJoy

I've been buying generic food (meijer brand) for 10 years. It's nuts. When I go grocery shopping (I cook, my wife can't/wont/she sucks at it) I always look for the deals. 2 for 5.. I buy just one. I can generally spend $100 and feed the family for two weeks.

I've always been a penny pincher on certain things.

I haven't been to Aldi's yet. Can anyone explain that to me? I heard that you pay .25 for card, bring our own bags, etc. anything else I need to know before looking like a dumbass when I go there?

Guest Removed
I've been buying generic food (meijer brand) for 10 years. It's nuts. When I go grocery shopping (I cook, my wife can't/wont/she sucks at it) I always look for the deals. 2 for 5.. I buy just one. I can generally spend $100 and feed the family for two weeks.

I've always been a penny pincher on certain things.

I haven't been to Aldi's yet. Can anyone explain that to me? I heard that you pay .25 for card, bring our own bags, etc. anything else I need to know before looking like a dumbass when I go there?

i always grab boxs(from in the store)...pack the boxs with what we need and get the fuck out..

do not recommend going on the first week or so of the month.

chicken from there is good. meat is ok.

best bet is to go walking thru and pay attention to what all is going on around you.ie hold your wallet tightly..lmao

j/k

for real tho..go walk around and see what they have, and what deals are going down. start out for a small trip. that way the next time you go you can plan ahead.;)

and make sure you take cash!

My wife and I have totally changed the way we look at money in the last year. We have not lost much income because of the resession but just got tired of seeing so much money going out and having very little to show for it. We listen to Dave Ramsey on the radio and have learned alot. My wife does buy a bit of off brand stuff but we always have because we are just cheap like that.

My wife and I have totally changed the way we look at money in the last year. We have not lost much income because of the resession but just got tired of seeing so much money going out and having very little to show for it. We listen to Dave Ramsey on the radio and have learned alot. My wife does buy a bit of off brand stuff but we always have because we are just cheap like that.

Good to hear that! Our country would be in a lot better shape if more people listen to him. Did you take FPU yet?

I've always been a generic buyer, and I certainly try harder to find deals now, but I'd say if anything we've spent more this year on frivolous stuff than most. However, we're also doing more for our retirement savings than ever before. Admittedly, we could be doing better on our regular savings but we have saved quite a bit there too.

At the same time, we're saving money making our own cleaning supplies and much of the things we eat. Example, I eat copious amounts of granola so I now I buy the ingredients and make it myself. I also eat a ton of natural yogurt, I'm getting ready to try making my own. Neither is born from the recession, we are doing it because we want to be more natural and "greener" - this was always the plan, even before it got popular to be "green".

We've done lots of things.

1. Passed on expensive car this time

2. Dine out for lunch and dinner far less

3. Shop for groceries at Wall-Mart vs Kroger (big savings)

4. Continue to fund Wall-Mart by shopping at Sam's Club for specific items

5. Cut back from 2 to 1 family vacation per year. Stayed closer to home

6. Invest more Spend less. Market is on sale folks.

The list goes on. We actually track our money pretty well and we are down in spending by nearly as much as a small car over last year.

Times like this are times that everyone needs to cut back just in case. That's my opinion.

I'e been doing much of the same, but with some differences.

-We'll eat out for lunch instead of dinner since a lot of places have pretty good lunch deals now.

-I traded in my Sky and got a Mazda 6 that I could have completely paid off. (Dropped a car payment)

-I pack my lunch everyday

-We shop with coupons. This isn't about buying off-brand items, it's about buying what's on sale and using a coupon or double coupon on top of it. Typically we get 30-60% off when we go to the grocery store by using this method. We've gotten quite a few items for free too. Sometimes we could do better, but things that are necessities (like cat litter) that don't go on sale as often can hurt our % saved.

-I didn't take a honeymoon. We're still planning on doing it next year, but for now we can't afford the time off.

-No racing this year. No karting, no open track, I'm not finishing the Sky turbo kit (even though it's 90% complete), etc.

Guest tbutera2112

ALDIs is the shit...i filled an entire shopping cart and the food lasted for over a month and it cost less than $100 lol

make sure to take bags or buy theirs...i forgot...ended up throwing all the groceries in the truck bed, then unloading them into a tote box when i got home to take them inside

Good to hear that! Our country would be in a lot better shape if more people listen to him. Did you take FPU yet?

No, We really feel that we get most of it by listening regularly and we have his book. We are on pace to be debt free other than the house payment by the end of the year.

yeah I have been cutting back doing the recession as well. Eventhough my income as increased lol I am spending less than before. No more impuslive buys like before. I always check the web for the best deal on things I needed. I have saved a ton of money just checking out www.slickdeals.net

you guys should check it out. It is pretty addicting. It shows you were all the sweet deals are and how to get them. Freebies, printable coupons, online coupon codes. :)