What impact gun are you using?

hpfiend

Hey all,

What type of impact gun are you using in your shop/garage? The more specific the better. I have a compressor rated at 9.0 scfm @ 90 psi and the coleman powermate 1/2" gun I bought used from a widow can't bust loose 100 ft-lb lug nuts (checked with two torque wrenches). My dad has an old MAC 1/2" gun which isn't much better and actually looks a LOT like my coleman.

Snap-On lists 600 ft-lbs with 4.5 SCFM usage for about 369 but that is pretty steep and well over my needs. 250-275 ft-lbs should be MORE than enough as that should do a pinion nut w/ crush sleeve and thats the tighest fastener I will probably ever run into. Everything else will be 150 ft-lbs and lower.

Thanks,

Andrew

Edited by hpfiend

Only having 90psi to work with is going to hold any gun back. I have an AirCat (off brand Mac knock-off) that works great at work on 150psi+, but at home it's worthless. Look at Ingersol Rand for good stuff, but also look for the rated psi on the gun.

I can go up to 120 or 125 psi I cannot remember but the air gun I have currently says do not exceed 90 psi (not sure what would happen). My dad's MAC is an AW223 which supposedly was made by ingersoll rand and it also says 90 psi. Is your gun rated at 150 psi or is that where it works at? Cornwell=Cordell?

Anyone have the Ingersoll-Rand 231C? http://www.amazon.com/Ingersoll-Rand-231C-2-Inch-Impact-Wrench/dp/B0002SRM3I/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I can go up to 120 or 125 psi I cannot remember but the air gun I have currently says do not exceed 90 psi (not sure what would happen). My dad's MAC is an AW223 which supposedly was made by ingersoll rand and it also says 90 psi. Is your gun rated at 150 psi or is that where it works at? Cornwell?

Anyone have the Ingersoll-Rand 231C? I read some good reviews on it online- supposedly 625 in reverse for under 150.00

150psi is just where my gun works, I've never had issues with putting too much air through an impact.

Of course when I think Coleman I think lantern, not air tools. :rolleyes:

150psi is just where my gun works, I've never had issues with putting too much air through an impact.

Of course when I think Coleman I think lantern, not air tools. :rolleyes:

hehe as do I- it was only 12.00 from my neighbor likely the problem- I will try to boost it up and put some safety googles on before I ditch it.

i have this one.....http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=2623

except it was $69.99 when I bought it and I had a 10% off coupon...that was SIX years ago.

And I've done countless motor swaps, suspension swaps/work, brake work, millions of wheels/tires off, exhaust shit, etc, and always tossed this damn thing on the ground after i'm done using it.

Never had a problem. It may be cheap but it's held up just fine for me over the past 6 years and I'm glad I didn't drop a couple hundred on one.

Are you guys using in-line oilers and dryers? I read oil really affects the power- I just put a few drops in before I use it for the day.

I'm not, I just drop a few drips of oil in like every 5th time i use it...if i remember to lol, i'm really bad about it, i probably abuse the gun but its never stopped it yet

Kevin, thanks! Do you know which model of IR 1/2" you have- BTW those fittings you recommended to me worked sweet- thanks!

Truthfully, I just went back and grabbed both, they are older models and I dont see a model number scribed anywhere on them. They both have black plastic/rubber around the main bodies.

No problem. Those ends are sweet arent they? Good for high use hoses. When you tweak the hose, you cut 2 inches off put it back together and keep on rocking. Beats buying hose all the time.

I have this Matco Tools 1/2 COMPOSITE IMPACT WRENCH

* 1,100 ft. lbs. of Breakaway Torque

* 780 ft. lbs. of Max Torque, 1,100 ft. lbs. of Breakaway Torque

* 2-year Warranty

* Lightweight Composite body - total weight only 4.0 lbs.

* Custom grip with through handle exhaust

* Twin hammer mechanism with four position power regulator

Part#: MT1769A Price: $415.95

I have this Matco Tools 1/2 COMPOSITE IMPACT WRENCH

* 1,100 ft. lbs. of Breakaway Torque

* 780 ft. lbs. of Max Torque, 1,100 ft. lbs. of Breakaway Torque

* 2-year Warranty

* Lightweight Composite body - total weight only 4.0 lbs.

* Custom grip with through handle exhaust

* Twin hammer mechanism with four position power regulator

Part#: MT1769A Price: $415.95

I want my pick up tool back Bitch!!!!