HB 191 Strret Racing Law, being debated today

GonneVille

That is funny. Right after the first Rice and Ridiculous movie came out, there was a news crew at the KMart on W. Broad. Stupid Tramp Mai, or whatever her damn name was, asked me to race my friend who followed me out there. She said we'll have you guys line up on Charter and we'll blur out your plates. She was so excited talking about it. I laughed right in her face and told her that just because the plates would be blurred on tv didn't mean that the original tape couldn't be used for something else. Her smile went away and she walked off. I couldn't believe that someone actually thought that I would race on tape to be used on the news report.

Her damn story ruined Charter. People had no clue that had been going on for years until the news story. Then it was "This is terrible. It must be stopped." Once again the media puts something out there and the public makes it a big deal. How many of you out there witnessed cops driving through and making sure everything was fine, then left in a cloud? I guess they weren't too worried about it before the stupid public got ahold of it.

ahhh the good ole days....

edit congrats dave on the newborn girl (tommy told me)

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds as though most of us in this thread have strong views on the issue.

Has anyone made his views known to his State Senator?

It's not too late to do this. I've contacted mine, expressed my objections, and asked that he look carefully at the bill. I've also asked that other viewpoints be considered in the debate. Since my State Senator (Bill Harris) is also President of the Senate, my hope is that he might have some control in keeping this bill from just sliding right through the Senate and into law.

Here's how you find your State Senator's contact info:

http://www.ohiosenate.gov/

They all have email, if you prefer to contact them that way.

Here's some advice on writing a state legislator:

http://www.nchomebirth.com/HTwriteRepresentative.html

Also, CR can draft a petition expressing our common objections, and members can sign electronically. We could forward that to our State Senators.

Perhaps I'm too optimistic that a bill with this much perceived support from the public can be modified/defeated, but it seems to me that the best we can do is to make a case that the bill be closely examined. If debate is vigorous enough, then I think that the Draconian elements will be exposed for what they are.

That is funny. Right after the first Rice and Ridiculous movie came out, there was a news crew at the KMart on W. Broad. Stupid Tramp Mai, or whatever her damn name was, asked me to race my friend who followed me out there. She said we'll have you guys line up on Charter and we'll blur out your plates. She was so excited talking about it. I laughed right in her face and told her that just because the plates would be blurred on tv didn't mean that the original tape couldn't be used for something else. Her smile went away and she walked off. I couldn't believe that someone actually thought that I would race on tape to be used on the news report.

Her damn story ruined Charter. People had no clue that had been going on for years until the news story. Then it was "This is terrible. It must be stopped." Once again the media puts something out there and the public makes it a big deal. How many of you out there witnessed cops driving through and making sure everything was fine, then left in a cloud? I guess they weren't too worried about it before the stupid public got ahold of it.

LOL -- I remember that like it was yesterday. Tram was all about riding with me for the "Shot" but the video guy said she would screw it up and they wouldn't be able to use any of the footage anyway. He was a pansy about riding with me and thought he was going to die or go to jail so by the time we talked him into it and he had my passenger seat moved back to secure the camera the cops rolled in and broke it all up. Since I was going to be racing some bolt-on AWD Talon for that race the little red Laser lost its shot at TV fame lol

Instead she interviewed Scott (Supra) and he took all the air time :)

Jeff

It's not too late to do this. I've contacted mine, expressed my objections, and asked that he look carefully at the bill. I've also asked that other viewpoints be considered in the debate. Since my State Senator (Bill Harris) is also President of the Senate, my hope is that he might have some control in keeping this bill from just sliding right through the Senate and into law.

Here's how you find your State Senator's contact info:

http://www.ohiosenate.gov/

They all have email, if you prefer to contact them that way.

Here's some advice on writing a state legislator:

http://www.nchomebirth.com/HTwriteRepresentative.html

Also, CR can draft a petition expressing our common objections, and members can sign electronically. We could forward that to our State Senators.

Perhaps I'm too optimistic that a bill with this much perceived support from the public can be modified/defeated, but it seems to me that the best we can do is to make a case that the bill be closely examined. If debate is vigorous enough, then I think that the Draconian elements will be exposed for what they are.

I contacted mine and the knucklehead that sponsored it. Have not got a single call or e-mail back. I have seen actions like this before when some tried to shut down a local track and thought "motorheads" were all dumb.

The track is still there (thompson raceway park), the officials are out of office, and the yuppie scum have to live with not only a drag strip but a go-kart track now.

If this does go all the way though I think it is our duty to flex our freedom muscles and show these "senators" what happens when you mess with a mans car.

Mine (Senator) called me back at the shop and talked to me about it for awhile. He said he wants me to come in and testify as an "Expert Witness" so he is going to let me know when that will be. He said if I couldn't make it he would have me do a full write-up as to why it should not be passed (Either period or as it is currently written) and he would present it on my behalf.

Jeff

Mine (Senator) called me back at the shop and talked to me about it for awhile. He said he wants me to come in and testify as an "Expert Witness" so he is going to let me know when that will be. He said if I couldn't make it he would have me do a full write-up as to why it should not be passed (Either period or as it is currently written) and he would present it on my behalf.

Jeff

Thats one good solution but I think it will take more than just that. Great start though

Realize that most people that wrote that probably have no care in the world about what car they drive other than it's status symbol. With that being said they see that there is no need to accelerate quickly simply because they never have the desire to, so why would anyone else?

Not standing up for this at all, it once again takes more power away from the common folk and gives people in "power" WAY too much discretion. As with a lot of things going on in this nation.

Jeff

Yours will be a strong, reasonable voice in opposition to the crusaders pushing this bill. My compliments to you, sir. :thumbup:

http://www.petitiononline.com/create_petition.html

If someone drafts up the petition, I'll be more than happy to spread it around.

From Ohio Riders, FYI:

Ok, so I've re-read the edited form you just posted.

I noticed that it states:

-Street racing is a first degree misdemeanor but they removed the part about mandatory loss of license for a minimum of 30 days or no more than 3 years.

-Street racing with nitrous is an instant felony in the 5th degree.

-Street racing with nitrous after previous offenses is a third degree felony if you're a repeat offender or you cause physical harm to property

-Street racing is a third degree felony if it's your 2nd offense or if harm was caused towards another individual.

That bill hurt my head to read...

Jeff

You've got a little different angle to play than the rest of us. You can play up the government stepping all over small business piece. Hopefully it will work.

AMA's response:

Dear Mr. Stillman:

Thank you for using the "Contact Us" feature at http://www.AmericanMotorcyclist.com http://www.AmericanMotorcyclist.com> to share your concerns about Ohio House Bill 191.

The AMA is not tracking HB-191 and therefore has taken no position on the bill. I've read the bill and the Legislative Service Commission bill summary and don't see where responsible motorcyclists riding on public roadways should have an issue with this legislation.

A December 2 Columbus Dispatch article, "House votes to toughen street-racing penalties" (see http://www.dispatchpolitics.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2009/12/02/copy/StreetRace.ART_ART_12-02-09_B1_LEFS4AG.html?adsec=politics&sid=101) highlights the motivation for the bill.

We have chosen to focus our efforts on Senate Bill 65 and House Bill 128, legislation that would provide enhanced penalties for vehicle operators convicted of right-of-way, assured clear distance ahead, and marked lane violations that result in serious bodily harm or death to others. In many cases, motorcyclists, bicyclists and pedestrians are injured or killed by other vehicle operators who drive distracted or simply don't care about others on the road. For years, the riding community has called for action on this issue. The "I didn't see the motorcycle" excuse is getting old.

Thanks again for contacting us.

Sincerely,

Mr. Imre F. Szauter

Government Affairs Manager

American Motorcyclist Association

13515 Yarmouth Drive

Pickerington, OH 43147-8214

1 (800) AMA-JOIN

1 (614) 856-1900, ext. 1125

I'm really surprised by this.

Of course, bike riders have nothing to worry about. Since when do Harley owners get pulled over for loud exhausts?

It has me scared shitless, and I don't really even race anymore. A spirited ride through hocking could be considered street racing under this proposed law.