Are you obsessed?

Cordell

i liked cars at one point, but i lost interest a few years ago. i discovered theres much better things to spend my time/money on.

and if you think car modding is expensive, just wait until you start house modding. at least with house modding, you'll get your money back.

Im right with you. My whole life growing up all i did was read car mags (yet no one in my family was really a 'car guy/girl' go figure). While its still a hobby and i like to read about them it hardly takes over my life. Hell if it did i sure as shit wouldnt be driving a 2.0 liter jetta :)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm into cars, but not as much as I used to be. For me, at age 27 I became more interested in our home and travel. Cars go from A to B and are expenses no matter how you slice it. Now I'm way more into my kids and travel. They could care less what kind of car I drive and I mold my life around the family now.

Don't get me wrong, I love cars, talking about them and having fun in mine, but I am not going to ever put money into them like I used to. Priorities shift I suppose.

There was a point in my life I was kinda like that, mainly when COFBA was around (2002 - 2005). Once the kids came and got older it toned down a lot because my kids/family are more important than a physical object. Basically you shift your free time around and kids do require a lot of you time.

I'm going to guess you don't have kids yet, once you do, you will change, we all do...

Now if I hit the lottery big and never had to work again in my life, I'd have probably 20-30 cars in a big garage so I can tinker... A man can only dream.... lol

I'm just into them now. I don't really care near as much as I used to, all the novelty has worn off. I could have a lot more useful things if I hadn't dropped so much money into the car. Honestly, the only reason I even have the Cobra still is because my wife won't let me sell it.

I plan on taking the car down this winter and rebuilding a lot of it, after that, I'm done. I may keep it, who knows.

yes, you need help. chevys are junk, i work on them EVERY day and i would NEVER own one. except for a corvette.

Chevys are junk yet you have an Eclpise? Gotcha.

I wouldnt call myself obsessed but I do follow all types of cars and spend a lot of time reading books and learning as much as possible. Someday I will build something better and faster but right now I will deal with what I have.

I'm into cars, but not as much as I used to be. For me, at age 27 I became more interested in our home and travel. Cars go from A to B and are expenses no matter how you slice it. Now I'm way more into my kids and travel. They could care less what kind of car I drive and I mold my life around the family now.

Don't get me wrong, I love cars, talking about them and having fun in mine, but I am not going to ever put money into them like I used to. Priorities shift I suppose.

This.

We drive ours every day and I put in gas and change the oil. they'll be paid off next week maybe. After that in 25k miles, I think I will Replace all belts including timing and water pump, new plugs, fresh coolant, fuel filter, maybe a clutch, And call it another 100K daily miles for both our WRXs. No payment will be nice. I am looking forward to traveling with the family to some nice places on vacations.

There was a point in my life I was kinda like that, mainly when COFBA was around (2002 - 2005). Once the kids came and got older it toned down a lot because my kids/family are more important than a physical object. Basically you shift your free time around and kids do require a lot of you time.

I'm going to guess you don't have kids yet, once you do, you will change, we all do...

Now if I hit the lottery big and never had to work again in my life, I'd have probably 20-30 cars in a big garage so I can tinker... A man can only dream.... lol

hes got a kiddo shes cool too.

yes, you need help. chevys are junk, i work on them EVERY day and i would NEVER own one. except for a corvette.

:lol: you drive a dsm really.....

im 100% over addicted ... i get yelled at by everyone cause all i talk about is cars an racing cars :( come on i was a on a date with a girl an instead of just relaxing with her i took her out an whet an dig raced an 40 rolled cordell haha (i lost too an she made fun of me lol)

I guess I'd consider myself a car fanatic. I have always loved cars and even went to school to work on them for a living and love my job. I really like euro cars out of any car because the way they are manufactured. I don't plan on being an auto tech forever though but its good for the moment.

Back when I was in my young 20's and had my Lumina I found forums. They were the devil. Do this, do that.. next thing you know I'm dropping 1k for a set of ported/polished heads and a cam. All to do what.. run 14.2 and have the highest 3800 NA HP record for a week. Great. Then I decided fuck it, put a supercharged motor in it and dump even MORE money into it.

Yeah the car was cool. Who else knows of anyone with a 12 second Lumina? You won't. :). But then I grew up. Saw the rack of debt I was running up. Tired of diving under my car every weekend tearing shit apart.

I'm still into cars. Just not as much as I used to be. Other priorities have come into life (my son will be driving soon.. as he's 16.. he needs a car).

Modding my house > modding my car. I'd rather update as much as I can on the house and have the best possible thing I can have me and my family live in rather than dump all my money into a car that.. at the end.. is just a car.

I spend way too much on cars period. I enjoy driving, and enjoy doing it in the S4 but its cost too much money. I would much rather putting down payment on a house or taking a trip to Europe again. The car has lost interest to me in a hurry over the last few years.

I feel sorry for you..

Well you shouldn't, because I said extra money, and I have a very responsible wife. She counter balances my stupidity. Now if I was single or was married to an idiot, I'd be fucked. I haven't racked up any debt on modding my car either. So I really don't feel bad, I just do a few more things in favor of the cars instead of other things.

When I picked this plate it was both cleaver and true...more so about my passion for clean cars, but it holds true for my passion for cars in general.

Like others, esp in the past year I've really lost focus a bit on the car hobby. It's still one of my stronger passions in life but I've relaxed that just a bit. To be completely honest, while I miss the Porsche parting ways with it was not nearly as difficult as I thought it would be. Then again maybe that's because I shop and plan out it's replacement on a daily basis even though I'm not in a position to buy just yet.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q192/ZainoDetail/Picture1105.jpg

It is a lifestyle, you either live it or you don't. I was raised around it my whole life the drag strip, muscle cars, helping thrash on cars, and helping fellow racers out.

The level of your obsession I guess is defined by your priorities. Right now I can't do what I want to do with my car due to being responsible. If I did not care I would mod my car until the credit line is screaming uncle.

Do what you love and fuck what others thing. If you live your life based on what others think is cool all you are doing is existing, not living.

I wouldn't say I was obsessed... Though, if I didn't know it was highly improbable, I'd say I was conceived in my father's '67 Stingray.

My first memories are of playing with toy cars and being fascinated with them and the real thing. Nothing soothed me better as a baby than riding in a car. Growing up, I wanted nothing more than to race and design cars. My parents thought it was neat, but my father had left his car days behind and other than a go-cart at one point, I never really had the opportunity to really chase my dreams.

As I entered High School, I was eventually convinced by the world that there were "better" careers than those in the Automotive industry. I wanted to go to a Tech school so I could work on cars, but my parents said that I'd never get into a good college if I went to a Tech school. (My mother now admits that I should have gone to the Tech. :D ) Eventually, I discovered computers and those satisfied my gadget lust, and I steered my career leanings towards computers.

That had mixed results. I tried to do the corporate thing. I tried to do the Private sector thing. I tried to do the box-store thing. I even tried doing it on my own. And now I'm burnt out on the whole thing.

So now, I'm living the simple life. No wife/girlfriend. No kids. No house. But I'm back to playing with cars again. I get to race them. I get to work on them. And I get to own some nice ones. I work at an Advance Auto Parts with no corporate ladder above me.

And you know what? I'm content. I'm finally *happy* for the first time in my adult life. If you're never happy with what you've got, then you'll never BE happy. Bust your ass 60 hours a week, year after year, promotion after promotion, decade after decade, and what's at the end? A nice house to hold your wake in. If you don't enjoy life as you live it, you're going to miss it when it's gone.

So am I obsessed? I've got car parts in every room of my apartment and I'd rather spend my money on my car than a girlfriend or family. You might call it obsessed. But I call it contentment.

I'm happy. What are you?