what to do to winterize your car?

armin922

Unless you want to replace the battery in the spring, I'd disconnect it or, better yet, plug it into a battery maintainer.

My wife's Passat has had a worn clutch, and has sat in my garage since September. I went to start it this past weekend and it was dead as a doornail. Took a jump and ran just fine, but dead again yesterday. Good thing I've got a 3-year free replacement battery...

Guest Removed
Unless you want to replace the battery in the spring, I'd disconnect it or, better yet, plug it into a battery maintainer.

My wife's Passat has had a worn clutch, and has sat in my garage since September. I went to start it this past weekend and it was dead as a doornail. Took a jump and ran just fine, but dead again yesterday. Good thing I've got a 3-year free replacement battery...

there is a fuse in the box to pull to keep the ecu's memory from draining the battery out like that.

Depends on whAt you do with your car in the winter. If you are the guy who has to be at work, or you drive to areas with more snow, or you're on call and have to drive reguardless of roads, here's my prep.

Fall:

coolant flush

any brake work. Even if it's close. I just don't want to fuck with it in the winter.

Usually, new boshe icon wiper blades. You can't drive if you can't see.

Rainx the windows.

Clean the air filter or change it.

Tires:

I just put on winter tires today. In the past I have had pretty good all seasons. This year I know I will be where the snow is and on long drives to get there. So I put on a snow tire so I don't have the limitation of some in my travel plans.

This is my prep for a Subaru legacy.

The fd gets put away and the battery disconnected.

Does anybody switch to a thinner oil?

I always check tire pressure once a week and make sure all fluid levels are where they should be.

For the work truck I add anti gell to the fuel and don't let the tank get under half full. Of course always make sure its plugged in at night and check the breaker.

Does anybody switch to a thinner oil?

I always check tire pressure once a week and make sure all fluid levels are where they should be.

For the work truck I add anti gell to the fuel and don't let the tank get under half full. Of course always make sure its plugged in at night and check the breaker.

Only if you switch to a thicker oil in the summer. There really is no need to switch oil weight in Ohio, the temp stays in most cars/oils recommended range.