bought a truck today...

xlr8tn

One day he gave me a ride to my suv because I had to park far away, he idled the whole way there and it was spitting and studdering from not being warmed up.. It's a turbodiesel, maybe that's why.

something is wrong with his truck. is it a chevy? if so sounds like the injectors are bad.

looks good. Throw some slightly larger tires on it to fill out them wheel wells better and call it a day.

yep, that's the plan except I can't call it a day at that. I have an open spot on my efilive cable so it'll go on there and I'll do a few other mods. Not going to go radical on it as I want it to stay somewhat dependable but I'll do exhaust and a conservative tune.

nice. what did you pay for it?

$26k

My buddy here at work has something similar, he has to sit in the parking lot for ten minutes while it warms up to drive home. I'll stick with unleaded.

sounds like he's having a glowplug issue or something. This one fires right up and idles/drives fine when it's cold. You just have to give the plugs 5 seconds or so to heat up when it's dead cold and then it fires right up and runs normal. This is my first diesel so I have a lot to learn but everyone that has a diesel tells me that once you have one you won't go back to gas. We'll see I guess.

Programmer, intake, and exhaust. Get to work.

yep....plus a small lift and better tires/rims. It's all in the plan. I have to sell my old truck first though. I have a spot on my efilive cable this truck will go on and I'll probably do a turbo back with a cat and muffler delete.

Nice Truck!

I wouldn't waste $300 bucks on an intake until you start making serious power. The stock LBZ intake is already really good and can support a lot. There is a free mod you can do that removes the water separator, not sure if it's worth it or not. I had a really nice AFE intake and it only made 3 hp difference at nearly 500hp.

Do the CAT delete and get a good exhaust. Use EFILive to disable the EGR code and block it off. Go easy on the power tuning to start, it is really easy with EFI to get carried away and power mad. Then the Ally will start to hate you and your wallet.

Congrats on the purchase, welcome to the world of Duramax.

Nice Truck!

I wouldn't waste $300 bucks on an intake until you start making serious power. The stock LBZ intake is already really good and can support a lot. There is a free mod you can do that removes the water separator, not sure if it's worth it or not. I had a really nice AFE intake and it only made 3 hp difference at nearly 500hp.

Do the CAT delete and get a good exhaust. Use EFILive to disable the EGR code and block it off. Go easy on the power tuning to start, it is really easy with EFI to get carried away and power mad. Then the Ally will start to hate you and your wallet.

Congrats on the purchase, welcome to the world of Duramax.

thanks....I intend to stay pretty conservative with it. It'll be a while most likely before I do much tuning wise because I've tuned gas engines but not diesel and it's a completely different animal. I want to do a lot of reading first so that I'm comfortable with it.