Tires from Dealer VS. DT/NTB?

truckin

So I'm looking at tires for my wifes Tarus X (set of Yokohama avid trz's 215/65/17). I've spoke to NTB, Discount Tire and my local Ford dealer, after discussing pricing with all three and trying to get the Dealer down on price (said they'd beat any price) the service advisor called me back and said this:

She talked to the service manager and he stated the reason they are alittle more ($40 after a $60 discount) than NTB/DT is because the tread depth is not the same at those companies as it is at the dealer. So basically your getting alittle LESS tread on tires from NTB/DT than you are from a dealer. So this keeps the cost down and in turn they can sell tires cheaper. He also said the part #'s for the tires themselves are different so you can tell them apart.

I've never heard of this on tires, but I know places like HomeDepot and Lowes do this on Household items, Tubs, Toilets, Doors etc. I found that out building my own house. So I Do think there is truth in this to a point.

Can anyone verify this or have any other info on this?

I'm wanting to buy tires This Saturday.

Thanks

I figured it was BS, just curious if anyone ever heard of shit like that. And only reason i was given the dealer a chance is i get rewards cash back for all service and purchases, so i'd earn money of the purchase and use it towards other stuff like having my tranny serviced.

http://www.yokohamatire.com/images/demo/spacer.gif

P215/65R17 98T Part number 31626

ask them what their part number is, mine are a 12/32nds of an inch deep and carry an 80k warranty.. fuck the dealer, do you wanna buy tires from someone trying to screw you around like that? I've never let them touch my car again. call me tomorrow with the lowest price you've found.. I'll beat it.

i'm there 630-6pm 232-8881

-Derek

ask them what their part number is, mine are a 12/32nds of an inch deep and carry an 80k warranty.. fuck the dealer, do you wanna buy tires from someone trying to screw you around like that? I've never let them touch my car again. call me tomorrow with the lowest price you've found.. I'll beat it.

-Derek

I'll call ya in the morning Derek

Justin

-Derek

Shit you can come to my store and i'll measure a tire for you then you can have my tread depth gauge and you can goto the stealership and prove them wrong and I'll beat it by 20bux.

No pun intended on NTB just adding I can help also

Shit fuck that dude. they cant offer a Free replacement warranty like we have either.

Stealerships.

Speaking of stealerships I saw a car come in the other day they twisted and kinked brake line hoses after they replaced a guys front sub frame due to recall.. Idiots Brake lines rubbed all the way through on both cv boots. Guy came back to our store saaying his brakes sucked after replacing tires and he had a clicking noise.

I showed him and he lost it went back to his dealership threw a fuckin fit.

Anything to make a dollar... Pathetic. I've never heard such bullshit in my life. Get said service managers name and contact BBB. I can only imagine how many people without much knowledge eat that sort of shit right up.

Go the route of someone here on CR. I've had more than enough help through people on here. You'll get the hook up yo.

sounds like BS to me too, but on the same note, does this make sense? a guy on another forum posted this a few years ago and this thread made me think about these posts...

OP- speaking about some OEM michellins

These EXTREMELY popluar OEM tires that are on everything from Huyndai's

to Mercedes, are, indeed, a very strange tire to figure out!

It really seems people either love them or hate them , judging from the very

many customer reviews on http://www.tirerack.com. If you go to tirerack web site

to this tire and click on "hightest rating" you will be the the first 8-10 folks

absolutely love these tires, with claims of threafile up to 145,000 miles!

Yes, 145000, check it out now! Than, the polar opposite, with folks that claim

the tires are bald at 15,000 miles!!

Why shoudl a crazy discrepency here?? I believe BOBms2 stated that the

dealer he works at he sees 25-30K and bald!? Well, that just doesnt make

sense to me. If someone is ONLY getting 25-30K out of these tires and they

really are indeed "bald" at that mileage, than....

1. Thier tires are not properly inflated and they fail tio monitior their tire

pressure and NEVER even check it

2. The tires are out of balance

3. The vehicle needs an alignment

4. They NEVER have rotated the tires, or do not rotate them regularly.

5. They drive very hard on ramps and corners.

Ok, I have my 2005 GLS and I have 20500 miles so far with these Michelins

As I look closely at the threadwear and the wear bar, im about just a tad

over a 1/3 worn. So I will be able to get 55-60K out of these tires!!

Of course, I rotate every 5000 miles, maintain tire pressure, alignment is

dead on and tires are balanced.

There is no reason why, if one follow these steps, they cant get 50K plus

out of these tires!

reply...

Also keep in mind that the factory tire on the Hyundai's, while the name is the same, the actual rubber compound is not. At the dealership we'd see the OE's last 25-30k on almost every Elantra. Those that put new ones identical in name but from Discount, Tire Rack whoever would last 40-50k miles.

Manufacturers ask for a specific compound from the tire companies for specific applications. Since they buy them in the millions, companies like Mich, Firestone and others gladly make what they want. But trust me, they are NOT the same tire as yo find available in the aftermarket.

Settle down people...before you form a lynch mob...

It is very common for Original Equipment tires to be slightly different than the 'same' tire in the replacment market. I have seen this with most major tire manufacturers (not Yokohoma, however) and it is done for a variety of reasons.

Sometimes the tires come out of the same molds and just have different tread compounds, optimized for low rolling resistance to get the lowest possible MPG number on the window sticker, or they might be tires that have slightly different tread patterns and internal construction.

Personally, I'd go for the aftermarket replacement tires, ESPECIALLY if they are less expensive. You'll probably get better wet traction and wear from the replacement tire as compared to the OE tire.

All pretty interesting........Thanks for the info guys, like i said I smelled BS from the start but was curious to see if there was infact any truth to this. My best experience with an OEM factory tire was on my 05 F150 it came stock with the 18" Goodyear Wranglers, I got 68k miles outta those tires which i thought was amazing for a 4wd truck. I did end up purchasing the exact same tires for it, it's the same tires i have on my F250 but in 20".

I ended up calling Derek and will be getting the tires from him.

Thanks Derek!

Settle down people...before you form a lynch mob...

It is very common for Original Equipment tires to be slightly different than the 'same' tire in the replacment market. I have seen this with most major tire manufacturers (not Yokohoma, however) and it is done for a variety of reasons.

Sometimes the tires come out of the same molds and just have different tread compounds, optimized for low rolling resistance to get the lowest possible MPG number on the window sticker, or they might be tires that have slightly different tread patterns and internal construction.

Personally, I'd go for the aftermarket replacement tires, ESPECIALLY if they are less expensive. You'll probably get better wet traction and wear from the replacement tire as compared to the OE tire.

it's some what true. Those OEM Tires would have specific markings on them to tell you that it's an OEM tire. i.e The Conti sport contacts 2. Porsche OEM tires would have a N2 by them as well. If the name is the same, tires are the same, no specific marking. It is the same tire.

it's some what true. Those OEM Tires would have specific markings on them to tell you that it's an OEM tire. i.e The Conti sport contacts 2. Porsche OEM tires would have a N2 by them as well. If the name is the same, tires are the same, no specific marking. It is the same tire.

Not always.

I've run across some that only had a difference in the colored stripes on the tread. The tires looked identical on the outisde, with the same markings (except for the date code in the serial tin) and no other indications that they were OE, except the fact that they came on the new vehicle.