Which SUV is best?

Hahn

Im looking for a used (2000+) SUV for under $13k. I need it for daily usage and want it as a 4x4. Also the SUV needs to have under 100k miles with lower being better obviously. Iv been looking around and pretty much have it narrowed down to the Jeep Liberty, Chevy Trailblazer, Ford Explorer and maybe even the Jeep Grand Cherokee. My question is, does anyone have one or have owned one that they can give me some input on aka pros and cons. Im leaning towards the Liberty but im open for input. Thanks.

Im looking for a used (2000+) SUV for under $13k. I need it for daily usage and want it as a 4x4. Also the SUV needs to have under 100k miles with lower being better obviously. Iv been looking around and pretty much have it narrowed down to the Jeep Liberty, Chevy Trailblazer, Ford Explorer and maybe even the Jeep Grand Cherokee. My question is, does anyone have one or have owned one that they can give me some input on aka pros and cons. Im leaning towards the Liberty but im open for input. Thanks.

Liberty: MY aunt and lead guitar player in my band have one. They're chick Jeeps and I will never forgive them for replacing my beloved XJ and swapping the 4.0 I6 for the 3.7. That being said they seem very reliable. My aunt is a terror on vehicles. Once drove a Neon 80,000 without a single oil change. Her's is still truckin'.

Explorer: Not too bad. Have had many friend/fam have good success with theres but some not so good. The upside is they're easy to work on with parts readily available. Same with Jeep and Chevy.

Grand Cherokee: I can't express to you enough how much I love these things. I still prefer the 4.0 I6 over any other engine Jeep has used but I'm biased. I beat on my XJ and my brother beats on his ZJ but those 4.0 engines just hold on tight and keep going.

If you can't tell I love and 100% recommend Jeeps. I haven't personally owned an Explorer or Blazer so I won't get into a pissing match about which is better. Fam/friends have owned both but I've seen mixed results. I personally have never seen anyone get a Jeep and be dissatisfied. My buddy, the guitar player, really didn't want a Liberty but got a KILLEr deal from his Father In Law and couldn't pass it up. He now loves it and says he may be a "Jeep guy" the rest of his life.

I'll tell you one thing, once I can get out from under my 2 current VW's I'll be going back to Jeep. I'd rather drive a rusty 88 Wagoneer than deal with these things.

we had a liberty that haad some recall issues. It was a suspension issue. When we got our the recall had been repaired by the previous owner. My wife was turning in a parking lot and the whole passenger suspension collapsed due to the recall issue again. We ended up having to pay for the new wheel and rotor because jeep said it was not part of the recall repair, even though it was a direct result of it(bulls--t). I didn't think it rode very well, and even with four wheel drive didn't seem to be heavy enough in the snow for it. It got bad gas mileage too, but that is all jeeps. The cons are that my wife still loved this vehicle for some reason. My thought would be the explorer or the grand cherokee.

My buddy has a 2001 Grand Cherokee Limited that now has 160k on the clock. They seem to have a number of common issues among all of them, but none have been super expensive to fix. Tranny cooler line, rear wiper motor is a big piece of crap, heater motor flap (that was fixed prior to him getting it), some control item for the tranny died, etc.

You can get one well under budget. He got his about 4 years ago from Buyers Volvo, in great shape, 90k miles, every option except the offroad skid plate, for 10k cash out the door. I'm sure you could get it a lot cheaper 4 years later!

But are you stuck with an SUV, or would a quad-cab type truck also fit the bill? With the weather-proof bed covers on my Avalanche, I can haul items in the back in the winter. Plus when my SUV owning friends need to borrow my Avalanche to do stuff, that says something. :)

I am going to be another vote for a Jeep. I am not a big fan of the 1st generation Liberties. The 3.7L is a big dog. Seems like it has much less power than the 4.0L. Interior is pretty basic. I hate where the window controls are. The newer Liberties are much nicer, but may be out of your price range.

I am a big fan of the Grand Cherokees. I have a 2001 Laredo with the 4.0L that I picked up about a 1.5 years ago. I got it for $5K with 111K miles. Only thing I have replaced on it since then are maintenance items, brakes, battery, alternator. Common problem with the WJ (99-04) is the fan relay for the aux fan goes out a lot. Easy to replace once you have done it once and you cut the panel. Normally you notice it in the summer when you have the ac on and sitting in traffic. The aux fan won't spin up faster to help cool down the engine, or it stays on high all the time. Other common problem is only on the Limited models, the blend door for the heating system will stick closed. Many write ups on how to fix this.

As for engine, I love the 4.0L but since I went to a little larger tires, I wish I had the 4.7L. Gas mileage is not that different between the 2 engines. Only thing is the 4.7L normally comes with the full time 4x4 system. I love having the selectable 4x4 system on mine so I can run in 2wd and then pop it into part time 4x4, locked high or locked low if I need it.

I have also been looking at a few newer Grand Cherokee's (WK 05-10). They are a much nicer ride than the WJ and have a lot more options for the interior, but they are probably going to be a bit out of your price range.

But are you stuck with an SUV, or would a quad-cab type truck also fit the bill? With the weather-proof bed covers on my Avalanche, I can haul items in the back in the winter. Plus when my SUV owning friends need to borrow my Avalanche to do stuff, that says something. :)

Im not stuck on an SUV, i like the ford ranger but not many in my price range with low miles. Just seems that an SUV is the best bang for the buck but im open to either or. The advice you guys are giving is very good and appreciative. Im getting ready to head out and test drive some and hopefully come home with something. No word on the trailblazers? just not worth it compared to the others or what? Seems like the Jeeps are the way to go.

trailblazers/buicks are nice.

Around the raido the black paint wears and you can see the white plastic. The early ones 02's had issues. The newer ones 04 and up are pretty solid. Lots of torque with the inline motor. I like them. Come out and look at our buick. I think you will like it better than any jeep (and ive owned several jeeps).

I had a 04 Explorer 4.0 4x4 and it was a great truck plently of power handled great in all condition's never a problem in the snow and had a good amount of room. It held up great structually as well, wife was rear ended once and blasted a guardrail with it and it performed excellent with minimal damage.

I know a few people thats had later model 04+ Grand Cherokee's and they both traded them in with 2 years. Both said the were horrible to drive and were rattle traps.

The WK Grand Cherokee (05-10) is incredibly nice. I have an 06 Limited with the 5.7 and I absolutely love it. Bought it April of last year with 28k on it, about 72k on it now and all I've done is throw on a starter. Its very smooth, even with the somewhat aggressive Nitto Terra Grappler tires I put on it. Great power, seats are very comfortable. I've made several 12 hour trips in it and never felt sore. In the snow it goes exactly where I point the steering wheel effortlessly and the ABS actually manages to stop it (I'm an ABS hater but like this system).

My only thing with it is next time around I plan on going a little bigger, so I'll probably in a couple years replace it with a Commander.

My mom has an 02 Trailblazer RWD LT, 105k miles. Great vehicle.

fuel filter, spark plugs, brakes, tires, oil

Its due for a good overhaul though. 8 years and 105k miles, needs some bushings, trans/cooiling system flush and fill etc.

Very reliable.

It is also much larger on the inside for people and cargo than the jeep and explorer are.

My vote is a Tblazer variant.

Thanks for the tips guys, unfortunatley im only 21 and have 0 credit and my cosigner ended up finding out today that he doesnt have as good of credit as he thought so im still carless. Its rediculous that i cant finance a car.

I bought a 1999 grand cherokee 4.0L last summer for my job. I needed more room to haul parts and equipment. Its one of the nicest things I've ever driven. I spend 60-70% of my day in it (so much that I even have a laptop mount just to give you an idea) and I'll say its very comfortable. `99-04's still have solid axles in the front and rear so they do still ride a bit like a truck, but jeep did an excellent job of making that easy to deal with and I doubt mines ever had shocks (142,000miles) now.

I got it because the engine/driveline is very reliable and its very easy to work on and cheap to get parts. Down side is gas mileage being in the 17-21 range, but thats comparable to any 4x4 vehicle including small things such as Chevy Trackers and toyota pickups.

I paid $3800 for mine and so far its been very good. Just small maint items that I noticed it needed. As for the comments a few replys ago about rattle trap this one I bought is great and I pull U-turns off the pavement all the time, hit or jump curbs, drive long distance in construction sites (we do a lot of work with kokosing) and I've never hear a rattle or had a dome light flash on (some do this.)

Also you gotta appreciate that the vehicles original buyer was well into the middle class, the vehicle was high price tag for the SUV market of the times and it is a flag ship vehicle for Jeep Corp and you get them used very cheap now.

stay away from the first few years of the trail blazer. the transmissions go out constantly and if you don't believe it do a google search. I was looking at them when I decided on a jeep because I like GM (well old GM anyway.) The newer trail blazers where okay, but I wanted to stay below $5-6K so they were ruled out.

My vote is also the grand charokee. My brother had one and i loved it. Reliable as hell and probably one of the most comfortable vehicles i've ever ridden in.

Rented a jeep liberty once and drove it to florida and back, not a bad suv, but id never buy one due to itbeing a complete woman's vehicle as mentioned before.

Exploder.... no

My mom had the first body style durango. Hers being a 2000 i think? My brother bought it off of her today. It has always been a great vehicle and you can find them for next to nothing. Im actually extremely pissed she didn't offer it to me to buy it first. Durango would be my second choice after grand charokee.

Trailblazers i know nothing about, but an ss would be sick to have

BTW fuck all those choices, get a Ford Expedition, you can carry you, a friend and 6 hookers anywhere you need to go.

+1

Parents had an '08 Expedition for awhile. Never had any issues with it, the room was amazing. It had decent pick-up for being a full size SUV, never towed with it though. I'm not even sure on towing specs to be honest. But I loved that damn truck. Gas mileage wasn't great but who gives a fuck. It was comfortable as hell and you could haul all your bitches and then some with ease.

BTW fuck all those choices, get a Ford Expedition, you can carry you, a friend and 6 hookers anywhere you need to go.

I dont have any issues stuffing 6 hookers into the trunk of my subcompact kia...then my buddy can ride up front and not have to deal with the smell...youre doing it wrong

:confused: