Weight Loss Thread "2010/2011"

Benner

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i reached my goal weight of 200lbs a little over a week ago and now am in the cutting phase to strip off some fat, currently at 195, aiming for 8% BF at the heaviest weight i can

did a 425 raw paused bench, but only a 470lb squat and a 565lb deadlift so far, still working on them.

My buddy is a trainer at the gym and wrote me up a plan for jogging. Im up to 3x a week, jogging 5 min, walk 1 min, 6 times...last night i covered 3.7 miles in 37 minutes. Funny thing is, im still stuck right at 190-191 and have been for a few weeks even with all this jogging

My buddy is a trainer at the gym and wrote me up a plan for jogging. Im up to 3x a week, jogging 5 min, walk 1 min, 6 times...last night i covered 3.7 miles in 37 minutes. Funny thing is, im still stuck right at 190-191 and have been for a few weeks even with all this jogging

Aerobic activity is terrible for weight loss in my experience. The only way I have found it to work is to combine it with dieting.

If you are serious about losing weight, look to lifting weights, even if its doing low weight, high reps.

Aerobic activity is terrible for weight loss in my experience. The only way I have found it to work is to combine it with dieting.

If you are serious about losing weight, look to lifting weights, even if its doing low weight, high reps.

I lift as well, 3x/wk, and while i dont "diet", i dont over eat or eat shitty foods.

i reached my goal weight of 200lbs a little over a week ago and now am in the cutting phase to strip off some fat, currently at 195, aiming for 8% BF at the heaviest weight i can

did a 425 raw paused bench, but only a 470lb squat and a 565lb deadlift so far, still working on them.

Do you lock your knees or bend them when you deadlift? I began by bending my knees but thought i was doing it wrong, switched to locking my knees but wonder if this puts too much load on my lower back?

UPDATE: down to 215lbs, dont know my bf% because I havent been tracking that but have been watching my diet regularly and i feel great. My hockey game has improved, definitly less fatigued at the end of a game or a shift and my legs feel real strong. Only thing Im concerned about is fitting in my cardio. Ive slowly started doing more weight lifting and less and less cardio but this is an easy fix.

I have always used really light weight on my deadlift, squat and bench b/c I was just starting out now that ive been lifting regularly for about 4 weeks i want to up the weight on all three to see where my strength is. Funny thing is, the more i read about excercising and eating better my girlfriend is convinced Im becoming obsessed and will turn into some sort of body builder... seriously. She saw me reading a muscle tech magazine and just said "OMG" and walked away... really!

Do you lock your knees or bend them when you deadlift? I began by bending my knees but thought i was doing it wrong, switched to locking my knees but wonder if this puts too much load on my lower back?

UPDATE: down to 215lbs, dont know my bf% because I havent been tracking that but have been watching my diet regularly and i feel great. My hockey game has improved, definitly less fatigued at the end of a game or a shift and my legs feel real strong. Only thing Im concerned about is fitting in my cardio. Ive slowly started doing more weight lifting and less and less cardio but this is an easy fix.

I have always used really light weight on my deadlift, squat and bench b/c I was just starting out now that ive been lifting regularly for about 4 weeks i want to up the weight on all three to see where my strength is. Funny thing is, the more i read about excercising and eating better my girlfriend is convinced Im becoming obsessed and will turn into some sort of body builder... seriously. She saw me reading a muscle tech magazine and just said "OMG" and walked away... really!

lol...when my girlfriend used to actually go to the gym, we'd be working out and she would always complain, and then went into talking about "you dont want me to turn into one of those nasty muscle girls do you?"...i told her id make sure she slowed down before she got there, but that was a LONG time away.

What's your diet like? I was completely frustrated until I finally pinned myself down to tracking everything I ate. I thought I was doing good but turned out to be very surprised at my calorie intake.

I also struggled with snacking, especially in the morning while at work. Even good for me snacks added calories. What I do for breakfast now has worked for me like a dream.

1 cup Almond Milk (Sometimes I mix it with a couple ounces of choc milk) :o

1 Frozen Banana (not every day)

1/4 cup Special K bran heavy cereal

1 or 2 Tablespoon Wheat Germ

1 or 2 Tablespoon Flax Seed

1 Small packet of Milk Mixers sugar free powder. Taste great and come in Vanilla, Strawberry or Choc. Malt.

Blend the above up into a shake and viola. Zero cravings for sweets and I can drink water all morning without my stomach growling like a dog.

For lunch, I've been strictly keeping my calories and cars in check. To curb any cravings, again I have a huge sweet tooth, I buy 25 calorie ea. mint/chocolates and have 2 of those.

For afternoon snacking I do either a Special K 90 Cal. Bar for sweets or Beef Jerkey if I have a salt type craving.

By the time I get home I am able calorie wise to have a very good portion of dinner. My intake for my goals is limited to 1,750 calories per day.

lol...when my girlfriend used to actually go to the gym, we'd be working out and she would always complain, and then went into talking about "you dont want me to turn into one of those nasty muscle girls do you?"...i told her id make sure she slowed down before she got there, but that was a LONG time away.

Yeah mines the same exact way. She got pissed when i was working hard on the treadmill next to her, i didnt tell her until afterwards but she was a half a mile ahead of me so i was trying to catch her... she was pissed.

Tim sounds like a good morning shake. I usually make mine with strawberries, banannas, 1-2 scoops of whey protein, a cube of ice and some skim milk. Delish. If im really hungry i'll eat egg whites on a whole weat english muffin.

Yeah mines the same exact way. She got pissed when i was working hard on the treadmill next to her, i didnt tell her until afterwards but she was a half a mile ahead of me so i was trying to catch her... she was pissed.

Tim sounds like a good morning shake. I usually make mine with strawberries, banannas, 1-2 scoops of whey protein, a cube of ice and some skim milk. Delish. If im really hungry i'll eat egg whites on a whole weat english muffin.

yeah, you may be confused...lol. my gf is no where close to being muscular, and she tried to use that terminology to try to get out of doing actual work. im just sitting there thinking, "being muscular should be your last thought right now...you've got a ways to go". lol

I bend my knees, unless your doing stiff legged deadlifts to work more of the hamstrings bend your knees.

once you get the movement down right increase the weight, you lift to build muscle, you will not get "to big" unless you eat a lot and then some.

also a woman cannot get to bulky unless she is eating a ton too. she doesnt have enough testosterone to build a lot of muscle.

dont read muscle tech or any other fitness magazine, they dont know jack, all it is is an advertising scam.

I bend my knees, unless your doing stiff legged deadlifts to work more of the hamstrings bend your knees.

once you get the movement down right increase the weight, you lift to build muscle, you will not get "to big" unless you eat a lot and then some.

also a woman cannot get to bulky unless she is eating a ton too. she doesnt have enough testosterone to build a lot of muscle.

dont read muscle tech or any other fitness magazine, they dont know jack, all it is is an advertising scam.

Thanks for the tip. I did them last night and bent my knees a bit but it wasnt like a squatting position or anything, felt good. As for Muscle Tech or any other mags, i take the advice with a grain of sand its not like i base all my workout off of it but that particular time i was reading about a pro's daily diet... over 4700 calories! eff that.

Thanks for the tip. I did them last night and bent my knees a bit but it wasnt like a squatting position or anything, felt good. As for Muscle Tech or any other mags, i take the advice with a grain of sand its not like i base all my workout off of it but that particular time i was reading about a pro's daily diet... over 4700 calories! eff that.

careful on deadlift.. always use proper form.. Here are a few tips.

set-up -

approach bar

feed directly under hips, toes pointed out slightly

grip on the outside of hips

shins touch the bar

chest up.. as high as you can

back tight, good lumbar and thoracic curve

shoulders will be slightly ahead of bar, scupula will be directly over bar

the pull -

keep bar close to body, drag bar up legs

torso angle the same until bar reaches knee. SHOULDERS AND HIPS RAISE THE SAME RATE

if hips come up first.. all lower back

once bar passes knees.. hips extend

You'd actually be surprised at proper caloric needs for maintaing weight. With my height,weight, and activity level I should be around 3000 a day if not a little morejust yo maintain. Of course since I'm working on loosing it I want to create a small deficit

• 3 weeks later...
Ever lift so hard you puke? I ACHIEVED THIS BREAUXS. I was liftin legs, then arms then legs, then arms, then went for more legs with 2 sets of leg press. I wanted 3 but started getting light headed. I think I almost passed out. Made it to the trash can to puke but it was full of dip spit so I threw up in the sink GNARLY.

Ever lift so hard you puke? I ACHIEVED THIS BREAUXS. I was liftin legs, then arms then legs, then arms, then went for more legs with 2 sets of leg press. I wanted 3 but started getting light headed. I think I almost passed out. Made it to the trash can to puke but it was full of dip spit so I threw up in the sink GNARLY.

I've done this. I did the first day I started football lifting. They are seriously trying to kill us haha. I've never been push so far in my life. You get to the point where you begin to like the pain. It's kinda fucked up.

I've done this. I did the first day I started football lifting. They are seriously trying to kill us haha. I've never been push so far in my life. You get to the point where you begin to like the pain. It's kinda fucked up.

I like the pain but i thought I was going to die, srsly. I think the puking has to do with the introduction of too much lactic acid within a short period of time.

I'm just surprised that people are actually asking about deadlifts. I haven't seen anyone else doing them in years. When the World's Gym was still open on the West Side it was daily, but now in Hilliard no one does them. Hmm.....

Because they suck and the overall population like the "easy" way out. So no deadlifts, no deep squats, no pull ups, etc, etc. They think doing 1/4 inch squats will make them huge