what oil and filter do you use?

Stimmel1647545512

you use royal purple in that thing? you are brave..

M1 or amsoil for the TBSS and CTS-V with ACDelco, M1 or NAPA gold filters.

amsoil for the camaro with ACDelco, M1 or NAPA gold filters.

Are you just quoting what I said to Gabe referring to the fact fram filters use a bypass valve held on by cardboard and glue, or is there a legitimate reason why I shouldn't use royal purple?

Are you just quoting what I said to Gabe referring to the fact fram filters use a bypass valve held on by cardboard and glue, or is there a legitimate reason why I shouldn't use royal purple?

well from all the engine failures from people running it on tracks i would say thats a good reason.

Z06-Amsoil Euro 5w40/Napa Gold . I might change to German Castrol next time.

2500hd with the 8.1 gas I use 10-40 summer and 5-30 winter just plain old conventional oil valveline/what ever wally as on sale.

altima with 230k miles usually just 5-30 conventional and it does not use a drop between changes.

i found out about it doing a lot of searching about oils. but i also have this link post #15

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1792283&postcount=15

i'm also thinking about running kendall. i used it before when i got it free and after tearing an engine apart that was running it and everything looked brand new, and that was after a full season of running high 6 second 1/4 mile passes.

'06 Civic Hybrid >> M1 0w20, M1 filter

GF's '92 Civic >> Napa 5w30, Napa gold filter (the thing doesn't get oil changes, just filter changes... not sure if it burns, leaks, or both, but we're just holding it together for another few months until we can go shopping this fall)

My boss and the lead tech thoroughly read the "lubes and oils" magazine that we subscribe to at the shop and Royal Purple scored as one of the worst oils to use. This is on top of lots of various internet sources and factory recommendations based on certain components that make up various oils/lubricants. They know their stuff when it comes to lubricants, and when you work on the vast range of cars that we do it is important that the customer's vehicle gets the proper/best lubricants. I haven't said anything about it in the past, but I will here as it pertains.

I use Castrol GTX in everything of mine with Napa Gold filters. Synthetic oils, we use Amsoil at the shop, if the customer wants to get their own we recommend Mobil 1 as it is easier to come by than Amsoil for the average person.

Although I have been debating on going OEM filters as I have heard, but not researched that the OEM filters are better than the Napa Gold filters.

In the VW's it was Castrol 20/50 conventional and Mann Filters. Oo Bosch when I could find them locally. Not sure about the Mazda, 5/20 and what ever NTB put in it. The Bimmer will be Castrol Synth, and Mann filters. The Bug gets the screen cleaned, and 20/50 conventional.

well from all the engine failures from people running it on tracks i would say thats a good reason.

Fair enough.. I hadn't heard anything bad about them previously, I used to use mobil 1 but the supra had royal purple in it, so I figured I'd keep royal purple in it.. Sounds like I'm back to mobil 1 next oil change.

I used Royal Purple for awhile and then I started burning oil. It steadily got worse. So I decided to switch back to what I grew up on Castrol GTX. Not to long after that I found this article about oils (Oil 101). After reading it I just did my first oil change with Amsoil. So far I am happy. I used to use Purolator PureOne (switched after research about 8 yrs ago told me the Fram I had grown up with was crap). That being said I have also switched to Amsoil filters.

How do these two compare ? Amsoil 5w-40 vs Redline 5w-40 I would like to know which one hold to its 40 weight the best after a few miles. I have read many times that German Castrol which is a 30 weight is actually closer to a 40 which is why I might start using it. I have around 4000 miles on the 5 40 amsoil in the Z06 and it looks pretty clean and its still at the same level on the dip stick. Im just curious about what oil keeps its 40 weight the best.

Purolator PureOne in most stuff, Fleetguard in my dad's Cummins, as I've been doing the maintenance on that thing.

Valvoline Premium Blue in the Cummins, Valvoline in the Stealth, generally Castrol in everything else.