What mod next?

ponyjr1647545514

Well guys looks like the Mustang is in need of another modification, or at least I am. I've got a K&N FIPK air intake, Pypes Violator axle backs, an TB spacer and a Hypertech programer. I'm looking for some thing sub $450, that would make more power.

Here's a few things i've researched

-Coil packs (any of them better than another?)

-Ford Racing X-pipe kit (re uses factory cats)

-62 or 64 throttle body

-different tuner (sct?)

Let me know what you guys think would be worth while modifications, or if there's something a little out side of my price range that would be worth saving for.

Do an off road X ditch the cats, and get a tune for the car. Substantial gains to follow.

EDIT: When I say tune I mean get rid of the shitty Hypertech and get a custom tune for your car and your mods.

Do an off road X ditch the cats, and get a tune for the car. Substantial gains to follow.

I looked at doing that. The off road x pipes are about $150-$200, no problem, but i don't think they would work with the tuner that i have. If i do go that route, i'd have to get a new tuner, would the SCT be the better one to go with? I called around about getting my car dyno'd and tuned and decided that was a bit out of my reach and i still plan on doing more mods and don't want to have it tuned multiple times.

Don't spend any money on another handheld tuner with a canned tune on it. Do exactly what MReBusa said and lose the cats with an off-road x-pipe and get a legit tune catered to your specific car. It'll sound much better and you'll see a lot more gain in power than anything on your list would provide.

I've been looking online and found what i think is a pretty good deal, if you buy a SCT programmer from American Muscle you get "customized" tunes for your car. Does that seem like a "decent" option?

No. They're all just generic canned tunes that you tell them your mods and they spend 10 minutes to go through their files and find a car they've tuned that has the same or similar mods, you load it into your car and you're done. Sure, you'll probably see an improvement with that, but every car/engine combination is different and likes different things in the tune. Spending the money to have a reputable local shop strap the car to the dyno and tune your car hands on is the best thing you can do. It'll make more power and be safer than a mail order tune, you'll have dyno numbers, and you'll more than likely make a connection with a knowledgable tuner who will give you advice on what to do next as opposed to "thanks for your order, here's your tune".

Yes a dyno tune is the most accurate. But I disagree with email tunes being bad. A canned tune ( at least to me ) is the ones that come preloaded on a tuner which are complete crap I agree.

But a solid email tune based on your cars ECU code and specific mods is just fine for a fairly basic setup, really only needing to get into dyno tuning if running massive cams or f/i. They dont ( or at least, shouldn't be ) creating it based off other people's car whatsoever. The tuner will have a baseline for that specific ECU code on your engine, then go into the edit tables on the SCT software to change them for whatever performance mods you have. For the S197 cars, AM, BlowbyRacing, and Brenspeed all do very solid tunes. Will a dyno tune be more accurate? Yes. But bang for buck, a good email tune willl suffice for your setup.

I can speak only for SCT software as that is what I have used extensively in the past. Haven't touch the Diablo, Edge, Hypertech ect ect

And far as other mods in your budget, there is underdrive pullies and charge motion delet plates. Either would add about 5 to 8 rwhp roughly in real world figures, not the manufacturer claims.

Or could go with 3.73 or 4.10 gears, wouldn't add any power but the car would wind up much quicker. I have 4.10's on my 06 and love them.

Best Mod:

Sell and buy a new 5.0.

:)

lol or this! Kinda sad the new 5.0 stock is still faster then my modded/cammed 06....Then again when I start eyeing the 5.0's, my wife reminds me that mine is paid off. ;)

Fuck it, I'll go against the grain on this one. Throw an x on there and get a canned tune on an SCT tuner. It'll be pretty close with those minor mods and it'll stick within your budget constraints. Once you get a little more money then you can go ahead and throw it on a dyno to get it dialed in.

Fuck it, I'll go against the grain on this one. Throw an x on there and get a canned tune on an SCT tuner. It'll be pretty close with those minor mods and it'll stick within your budget constraints. Once you get a little more money then you can go ahead and throw it on a dyno to get it dialed in.

this!

I say get a real tune. My car without any new mods gained 39whp and 44wtq by just getting an actual dynotune. That's huge and more than you'd get from any of the mods mentioned.

For those of you that keep recommending dyno tunes, you need to read his post better. There is no argument that a dyno tune would net him the most/better power, but he doesn't have many mods right now, is working with limited amount of money, and he is also looking to throw more at it in the future. For someone looking to slowly upgrade on a limited budget, a SCT would prob be the best option for now. A dyno tune would not be smart for someone who is looking to throw 500 in mods twice a year and not be able to afford retuning at the same time. Once the mod list gets bigger, a dyno tune would be a necessity. Either way, ditch the hypertech.

GEARS. definitely gears---3.73's

maybe some lower control arms and stickier tires as stated above. its been beat to death already, but a canned tune is a waste imo. like buying a suit 'off the rack' vs. having one taylored specifically for you---night and day difference when the car is highly modded--not so much with minimal mods though.