Official Football 2011 Thread

DaddyBuiltRacing

As much as it pains me to admit it (I am the founder of a group of Buckeye fans known as ABB - Anyone But Bauserman...lol) Bauserman outplayed Miller throughout both spring practices and fall camp. And because of that the players on the team actually had more confidence in Bauserman being able to guide the team successfully through this season than Miller. That's why he got the majority of the snaps against Akron then Miller being a little dinged up led to Bauserman getting ALL of the snaps against Toledo. Reading the insider site at Scout... Miller was actually supposed to start the game against Miami. Notice anything about the first few offensive series for OSU? They were almost exclusively from the shotgun. They scrapped starting Miller at the last second and plugged Bauserman into Miller's gameplan. And you saw the result. Then, incompetently enough, when Miller got into the game we went to I formation stuff. The running game was working either way but the rollout stuff and read option stuff (I believe Bauserman kept a read option pretty early in our first series for like 3 yards) was not because Bauserman apparently doesn't know how to throw a spiral after 38 years of playing football.

Another thing from the Scout insiders... do not expect Miller to light it up right away. There are going to be more fumbles and interceptions from him. The freshman mistakes. While almost everyone agrees it's the right move, no one in their right mind thinks this is going to cure everything right away. Miller, despite being here since January (unlike Pryor who showed up in June and was able to throw 4 TD's in his starting debut against Troy), reportedly does not even have the same level of understanding of this offense that Pryor had by the time he took over in 2008.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

reportedly does not even have the same level of understanding of this offense that Pryor had by the time he took over in 2008.

That's really really really bad, because they ran like 5 plays with Pryor that whole season

Mechanically Braxton is way ahead of Pryor at the same point but that doesn't mean a whole lot when you don't know where your teammates are going to be/what you're supposed to be looking for. Pryor had a pretty high football IQ and freak athleticism. But there were still plenty of games that season where he didn't even attempt 15 passes. That will be similar to the plan for Braxton. Call maybe 20 passing plays a game for Braxton knowing full well he's going to take off on 5-10 of them.

I've posted these in here before but feel the need to post them again... this guy does amazing game analysis and write-ups. He typically has video to go along with them but this one doesn't due to technical difficulties. But here's the offensive analysis from the Miami game (I'm sure this was a ball to analyze...lol) and at the end it talks about switching to Miller and what OSU should do with him/expect of him moving forward...

http://www.alongtheolentangy.com/2011/9/20/2436600/osu-v-miami-offensive-analysis

Mechanically Braxton is way ahead of Pryor at the same point but that doesn't mean a whole lot when you don't know where your teammates are going to be/what you're supposed to be looking for. Pryor had a pretty high football IQ and freak athleticism. But there were still plenty of games that season where he didn't even attempt 15 passes. That will be similar to the plan for Braxton. Call maybe 20 passing plays a game for Braxton knowing full well he's going to take off on 5-10 of them.

Pryor had a Beanie

http://www.dispatch.com/content/graphics/2008/11/16/1116_beanie_sp_11-16-08_C1_MSBTD3F.jpg

And to think, everyone swore up and down that Braxton was light years ahead of Terelle at this point in their careers...

I knew he wasnt. Mechanics, yeah. Gameplan,not a chance. TP actually worked very hard at that. As much as people want to hate on him, I do know that for a fact.

I knew he wasnt. Mechanics, yeah. Gameplan,not a chance. TP actually worked very hard at that. As much as people want to hate on him, I do know that for a fact.

That was really obvious when he did the thing with Gruden. Dude knew his shit.

That also backs up my theory that 99% of the time when he made a mistake, it was a "Favre" type mistake.... aka trying to do too much rather than letting the game come to him.

It seemed the coaching staff would do an exceptionally good job calming him down before bowl games too.

Not sure if serious...

Why wouldn't I be? Most of his interceptions were just forced interceptions, not from having a lack of knowledge of the coverages. I'm sure that happened from time to time.

He didn't make those mistakes in the bowl games

Well Braxton played better then I expected but still wasn't great by any means. He throws an awful wobbly deep ball, but it was on the money. I like his elusiveness as a runner too.

Miami goes down to Kansas St today, just goes to show Miami is horrible and OSU played like total ass last week.

Florida St goes down for the 2nd straight week which proves my claim that they were overrated!!!

Next weeks game against MSU is going to be huge as OSU should be back in the top 25 and could make a decent push if the same team that showed up today decides they want to play the rest of the year. Funny how much a teams look can change in a matter of a week. Not gonna say they are going to a BCS game or anything like that but could win at either Nebraska or Wisky and make a decent bowl game

umm no where in the self imposed sanctions was anything about a bowl ban mentioned....do you really think the NCAA is going to make their biggest cash cow sit out a bowl game? Not to mention its the same NCAA that allowed the suspended players to play in a bowl game last year lol.

Well Braxton played better then I expected but still wasn't great by any means. He throws an awful wobbly deep ball, but it was on the money. I like his elusiveness as a runner too.

Miami goes down to Kansas St today, just goes to show Miami is horrible and OSU played like total ass last week.

Florida St goes down for the 2nd straight week which proves my claim that they were overrated!!!

Next weeks game against MSU is going to be huge as OSU should be back in the top 25 and could make a decent push if the same team that showed up today decides they want to play the rest of the year. Funny how much a teams look can change in a matter of a week. Not gonna say they are going to a BCS game or anything like that but could win at either Nebraska or Wisky and make a decent bowl game

i could be wrong because im not a huge bcs nerd or anything but i dont see how osu would get back into the top 25 after beating a team whos only win is against colorado state. the way i see it is that osu let a team thats slightly better than akron score 17pts on them....im pretty sure neb and wisk are out of osu reach for atleast another year or two

i could be wrong because im not a huge bcs nerd or anything but i dont see how osu would get back into the top 25 after beating a team whos only win is against colorado state. the way i see it is that osu let a team thats slightly better than akron score 17pts on them....im pretty sure neb and wisk are out of osu reach for atleast another year or two

I agree that OSU won't be back in the top 25 for beating Colorado. Might squeak back in with a win over MSU next week but that won't be easy.

Do not agree that Nebraska and Wisky are out of OSU's reach for "at least another year or two." Nebraska is nothing special and Wisky will be replacing their starting QB again and 9 other senior starters after this season. OSU currently has 3 seniors starting for them. Of course once Adams, Posey and Herron return they will be playing a lot if not starting and that's 3 more but 6 is still a VERY low number to replace and these kids are only going to get better. There have been a lot of flashes but they're freshmen so the consistency isn't there yet.

Could definitely happen. Braxton will have 3 more starts under his belt by then and Adams, Herron, Posey and Thomas will be back. Probably Williams and Brown from injuries as well. I mean, Miami beat OSU by 18 and they lost to Maryland who just got thumped hard by Temple. Of course, the transitive property means jack shit in college football but it's still interesting. The team doesn't want to win any game more than that Wisconsin game.

Braxton did fine - if not good - in his first start. What I saw out of him confirmed for me that he should have been the starter from Day 1 and that Fickell is even a bigger dolt than what I thought last week for not starting him. I'm also convinced that, had Braxton just been the starter all along, then we win at Miami.

Nebraska is overrated. Wisconsin probably isn't. Michigan State is always overrated.