My first new car purchase - a truck

spankis

Always liked these, and they're not making them any more after this year. As a result they had some pretty solid rebates in order to liquidate the last of them, and I bought this one last night after work. I had to search A LOT to find the color/cab/motor/transmission combo I wanted, as there are seemingly less than 10 left in the country. Actually found this one an hour or two away, in Ohio, but barely.

Anyway, it's a Ranger 2wd, 2.3L 4 cylinder, 5 speed. The color is Vista Blue Metallic, and it looks much lighter in these pictures than it does in person, so far I like it a lot. It's not fast by any means but it's not at all painful to drive, and should give me 27-28 mpg highway. It's got power everything, and a cd player with 6 months of sirius. Not too exciting but as my first new car purchase I figured I'd share.

Token asshole picture:

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x33/spankis/Ranger%20Pics/DSC_0302.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x33/spankis/Ranger%20Pics/DSC_0294.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x33/spankis/Ranger%20Pics/DSC_0295.jpg

My plans in the near future are just to Line-X the bed, and some other functional stuff, then maybe eventually some factory mustang wheels and a slight drop, but nothing crazy.

My neighbor just gave his 1988 S10 to his son and bought the same Ford Ranger in Metallic Gray. They must be making some crazy deals on them. His is 4x4 and looks to have much larger wheels but overall, pretty basic.

Thanks everyone, I've already put over 200 miles on it and so far I'm damn happy. And Brian, the ford badges are gigantic, but since they're nearly the same blue as the truck they don't bug me too much.

As far as rebates, I qualified for basically all of them, including a new college grad deal, and all in all I ended up buying the truck for around 4k less than sticker. I considered base models with black plastic bumpers and crank windows, but figured I'd want to kill myself eventually. You can pick up those super basic trucks for 14-15 though it seems like.

good looking truck bud. didnt know they were stopping making teh ranger?

Ford is selling a shit ton of F150s with V6 engines...they are assuming that most buyers will want to step up to a base F150 over a decently-loaded Ranger. Now, they are forcing the issue.

We need more small pickups here in America.

Ford is selling a shit ton of F150s with V6 engines...they are assuming that most buyers will want to step up to a base F150 over a decently-loaded Ranger. Now, they are forcing the issue.

We need more small pickups here in America.

+1

Diesel Mahindra :yuno: come to america already ?

I considered a 4x4 V6, but I've always heard how shitty the 4.0L engine is and wanted to avoid it. They were offering substantially better rebates on V6 trucks though, so the "upgrade" actually wouldn't have cost too much.

My dad also has a Ram 2500 with the Cummins and 4x4 that I generally do the maintenance on, so whenever I need a real ballsy truck for something that's always available.

Driven many of those as work trucks in the past, dead reliable with the 4 cylinder or 3.0L V6. I was always partial to the S10 but the rangers are way better then the shit GM sells now for small trucks. Congrats on the purchase.

I DD'ed a 2.3 5sp Ranger for a while. I will say it did its job. Also hauled 1200lb of gravel a couple times. But, I don't recommend that. :)

haha on ym 2.3l 5 speed ranger i had the 6 foot bed filled from top to bottom with stacked fire wood..talk about skethy :lol: