Workout/Weight loss thread 2012

AWW$HEEET

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...
I started the "ripptoe starting strength" program and started eating big and clean. I feel like I spend most of my day eating or preparing meals, and a disproportionate amount of time working out. I don't even feel very tired after the workouts, not to mention they are ony every other day.

I need to start eating better, im just too lazy to do so. I hate cooking for just me, so at home, its usually something quick and easy. Ive been doing a shit ton of cycling, about 2100 miles so far, and have dropped from 190# to 188#. Lol

Started DDPYoga a while ago, down 20 lbs from when I started to the last time I weight myself, haven't had access to a scale in a while so it could be more now, but do it every day and eat far less than I used to.

• 2 weeks later...
I started the "ripptoe starting strength" program and started eating big and clean. I feel like I spend most of my day eating or preparing meals, and a disproportionate amount of time working out. I don't even feel very tired after the workouts, not to mention they are ony every other day.

I've cut back my eating by one meal per day, and my workouts feel a little harder, though not super challenging.

Here's my numbers:

Bench: 190

Dead: 195

Squat: 265

I am increasing arm lifts by 5lbs each workout, and legs by 10lbs each workout. My knees feel like the weakest point in my squats. I feel like I could be lifting more in dead, and my bench feels ok.

So I don't think I have posted in this thread, but I'll share my progress.

I decided to diet and do p90x

starting weight April 8th

231 lbs

Weight as of July 29th

197 lbs

The only real strength gain I can quantify is on the chest and back routine on p90x. The first day I did 90 total pushups throughout the routine. On my last day of it I did a total of 205 pushups.

you defiantly can be deadlift more then 190 if your squat is 265

just put a little effort in it.

Agreed. I am just increasing how the program told me to. Maybe ill bump it up some extra next workout. Does a person typically deadlift more or less than their squat?

Agreed. I am just increasing how the program told me to. Maybe ill bump it up some extra next workout. Does a person typically deadlift more or less than their squat?

more, like 60-100lbs more

my raw numbers right now are

415 bench

500 squat

575 deadlift

i have done

430 bench

510 squat

585 deadlift

Yes, it can also vary depending on stature and frame. I have met people who dead/squat the same. I also know people who squat 2-300lbs more than their dead lift. I should add that they pull some pretty amazing numbers.

I got that book too. Feel comfortable with the bench and shoulder presses and am working my way up (got to a 'body weight' bench a few weeks ago :fuckyeah:).

Squats and deadlifts not so much. I need to get into a gym with someone who know wtf they are doing. I know I can lift a lot more than I am but I fear my form could be so bad that I really risk an injury by doing so.

Some of Rippetoe's stuff is a little over the top for me (e.g. real men don't wear gloves, GOMAD, etc.). If I wanted to deadlift 500+ and have a physique like a bowling ball, yes. Working towards more of a running back or baseball player build, no. That said, I think there is huge benefit in becoming expert at those five basic exercises and using them as the core of a strength program.

I need to get back on the wagon. I lost 35 pounds last year just by cutting back on snacks and sugar, and cutting back to reasonable sized portions for meals. Grad school has been kicking my ass for a month and food (especially sugar) helps me focus and concentrate. The diet went out the window and I'm probably back up 5 pounds from the shear volume of junk I have eaten in the last 5 weeks. But grad school is all but done, so time to get back to the diet. I'd like to loose another 30 pounds this year, that would put me at 170.

I got that book too. Feel comfortable with the bench and shoulder presses and am working my way up (got to a 'body weight' bench a few weeks ago :fuckyeah:).

Squats and deadlifts not so much. I need to get into a gym with someone who know wtf they are doing. I know I can lift a lot more than I am but I fear my form could be so bad that I really risk an injury by doing so.

Some of Rippetoe's stuff is a little over the top for me (e.g. real men don't wear gloves, GOMAD, etc.). If I wanted to deadlift 500+ and have a physique like a bowling ball, yes. Working towards more of a running back or baseball player build, no. That said, I think there is huge benefit in becoming expert at those five basic exercises and using them as the core of a strength program.

huh, what are you trying to say? without ignorance?

real mean do not wear gloves, that is true. Deadlifting 500+ does not shape you like a bowling ball, quite the contrary. If you cand lift 500lbs off the floor you are not a man.

sounds like you just want to have a lean built build, in which core exercises would help.

If I wanted to deadlift 500+ and have a physique like a bowling ball, yes. Working towards more of a running back or baseball player build, no. That said, I think there is huge benefit in becoming expert at those five basic exercises and using them as the core of a strength program.

yes, because neither of these athletes dead lift. :dumb:

huh, what are you trying to say? without ignorance?

real mean do not wear gloves, that is true. Deadlifting 500+ does not shape you like a bowling ball, quite the contrary. If you cand lift 500lbs off the floor you are not a man.

sounds like you just want to have a lean built build, in which core exercises would help.

No bro you got that all wrong, you bowling ball shaped ape.

2011svt i suggest you try this workout.

monday,tues,wed,thurs,fri,sat

Curls in the squat rack

shoulder press

bench

Curls in the half rack

Push downs ( bent over, gotta incorporate them shoulders)

Pull Downs

A few quick mirror posses ( look around first to see if anyone is watching)

Set up for dead lifts 315#s to start (walk around for a few, put on some more weight and then leave it.. act like you just lifted 500lbs like a boss)

Slam a bro-tein shake... yes bro-tein ( 100% more bio available than protein.)

Walk on the treadmill @ 30%incline while holding onto the handles @ a 2 speed

Dont forget to do them crunches before you leave.

Curls in the squat rack

shoulder press

bench

Curls in the half rack

Pull Downs

Set up for dead lifts 315#s to start (walk around for a few, put on some more weight and then leave it.. act like you just lifted 500lbs like a boss)

this workout sounds like a lot of broscience but i give it a 9/10. man is aware.

Curls in the squat rack

shoulder press

bench

Curls in the half rack

Pull Downs

bench is so 1980's you just need to replace that with cable cross overs and some push ups on dumbbells then you'll be golden

and do forget curls on the smith machine to target that peak.

Was supposed to go 285 on squat tonight but I got 2 reps in and was not feelin it. My form is kinda shit, I'm not goin low enough. So I dropped it back to 245, and made myself go really low. It felt hard, but a lot more productive then goin 285 and only partially down.

I feel like 10lbs progression per session for squat is a lot, seeing as I'm not trying to be a body builder. I don't see myself ever needing to squat more than 300. I also feel that if I don't go up the 10 per session, I am cheating the session.

Was supposed to go 285 on squat tonight but I got 2 reps in and was not feelin it. My form is kinda shit, I'm not goin low enough. So I dropped it back to 245, and made myself go really low. It felt hard, but a lot more productive then goin 285 and only partially down.

I feel like 10lbs progression per session for squat is a lot, seeing as I'm not trying to be a body builder. I don't see myself ever needing to squat more than 300. I also feel that if I don't go up the 10 per session, I am cheating the session.

well full rep squats are better then 1/4 squats

if you dont want big legs, i suppose thats fine with using light weights.