Workout/Weight loss thread 2012

AWW$HEEET

so I'm down from 245ish to 227 . I'm using myfitness pal and working out on my weight machine at the house. I work out for 5-10 minutes every day and have noticed a major differnce in my strength and that my tshirts are tighter around my arms instead of tighter around my belly ;)

I still got a ways to go i just thought I'd share.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so I'm down from 245ish to 227 . I'm using myfitness pal and working out on my weight machine at the house. I work out for 5-10 minutes every day and have noticed a major differnce in my strength and that my tshirts are tighter around my arms instead of tighter around my belly ;)

I still got a ways to go i just thought I'd share.

:lolguy::dumb:

:lolguy::dumb:

Seriously, I try to do it more then once a day but I find it hard to work out for long period of time. I'd rather have a constant regimine I always do then to set a target I won't hit ever. I started out @ 2 weights on the thingy and now I'm almost up to the whole stack of 45ish days.

i do sets of 10-15 on 3-5 exercises.

I'm adding cardio soon DDR!!!!

Never posted in here, but I have 2 weeks left in phase 3 for P90x2. I feel so much better overall from day to day doing it.

On my off days i swim 25-30 laps at the university pool.

Didn't need to lose any weight, just needed to tone myself and get rid of fat. Currently at around 178 and a 33 pant size. I still want to cut more body fat and get down to 10-12%.

Prior to starting, i was around 172 and 34 pant size.

When Im done, im considering starting phase 2 over and.keep doing 2 and 3, or actually going to hit the gym.

I wana drop weight once I return to the gym. I hardly ever workout in the summer. Still at 284 20"but a 38" waist. Id like to drop down to 250s and 36" waist. Any good fatburners out there.

The best I've ever used is OxyElite Pro. Just don't take it within hours of sleep. It's pretty intense

im finally (knock on wood) starting to drop a few lbs from all the cycling i do. i would've thought it'd come sooner, but its one of those things you gotta keep eating to have the energy to go on for hours on end. i've finally gotten into some eating patterns that are helping.

was at 192-194 a month or two ago, been hoovering at 185 for the last week or so.

this winter, i'd like to do spin class and really watch my diet (since i'll have a little more time to focus on it not being out on the bike 3-4 days/wk and get down to 170-175ish.

to the smart(er) people on here, maybe i can get some tips on this -

i'd like to find out how to get stronger to where im not keeping such a high heart rate when im riding. for my age, my max HR should be 185, and i can usually ride pretty hard and sit at 187-188 and still feel ok, but past that, im hurting. i get home and see average HRs of 165-173, and it seems really high. i have a buddy i ride with who is almost 40, MUCH stronger than me, and can kill hills that break me at 2x the speed, and not even crack 170HR. he's not been cycling much longer than me, maybe a few years max

what do i do to drop my average HR so im not getting burnt out so quick?

Still doing DDPYoga every night. Also bought an elliptical and put it together over the weekend, and have been doing that after Yoga. I am also doing Shayloss September with the shayloss channel on youtube, which means that I am doing a video blog every night. I like it because it is adding both a level of support and a level of accountability. Its going pretty awesome.

Oh yeah, down 40ish lbs total, so 20 more than my last update.

im finally (knock on wood) starting to drop a few lbs from all the cycling i do. i would've thought it'd come sooner, but its one of those things you gotta keep eating to have the energy to go on for hours on end. i've finally gotten into some eating patterns that are helping.

was at 192-194 a month or two ago, been hoovering at 185 for the last week or so.

this winter, i'd like to do spin class and really watch my diet (since i'll have a little more time to focus on it not being out on the bike 3-4 days/wk and get down to 170-175ish.

to the smart(er) people on here, maybe i can get some tips on this -

i'd like to find out how to get stronger to where im not keeping such a high heart rate when im riding. for my age, my max HR should be 185, and i can usually ride pretty hard and sit at 187-188 and still feel ok, but past that, im hurting. i get home and see average HRs of 165-173, and it seems really high. i have a buddy i ride with who is almost 40, MUCH stronger than me, and can kill hills that break me at 2x the speed, and not even crack 170HR. he's not been cycling much longer than me, maybe a few years max

what do i do to drop my average HR so im not getting burnt out so quick?

Do you do anything during the winter? Do you have a trainer? Rollers?

Lowered HR comes with time man. Are all your rides long and consistent paced? I think if you have a good base built up, try to keep your schedule the same as it is now, but throw some shorter, more intense rides, or even interval training.

Ex: you ride 1.5hrs 5 times a week now. Replace one of those rides with a more intense 45 min ride, or a 1hr fartlek/interval type ride where you are riding hard for a few mins, then lay off and recover.

You need to throw some anerobic workouts, in short. Some of your rides right now may be going anaerobic from the sounds of it. (Fatigue). Without knowing your max HR, its tough to say. When my max was 205, I would keep my aerobic runs between like 155 to 165 to stay aerobic. My resting rate was maybe somewhere between 45 and 47ish.

from what i've found, and theres many different formulas, my MHR should be between 185 and 188.

we usually ride at a steady pace, it was slower earlier this year as i wasnt nearly as strong as i am now, but we usually keep a 19-22 pace for the whole ride. obviously we do a slower pace when we go out for hill training around granville, lancaster, etc, but for the most part, its pretty consistent. and we'll have spots in the ride where we might hammer at 26-27mph for a couple miles then drop back down to 20-21, but then have a hill towards the end which i'm thrilled to keep 14-15mph going up it

as for winter, this is the first year that i've gotten into cycling seriously. i had a bike last year, it was 5cm too big for me, and i got about 1200 miles in. total. this year, i bought a new bike, getting out a lot more (pushing 3100 miles so far since end of feb, and still plenty of time to ride). the majority of my rides are between 40-60 miles, had a few that were longer. i have a trainer i bought last winter, and plan to try to use it a lot more this winter, but as i already know, and keep hearing from friends who ride, trainers get boring. thats why i want to try to do spin class a few days a week. get in with a group of people, have others there to push each other, etc. in my basement its just kinda "eh, this is good enough", when its probably not.

for anyone interested in looking at my activity, http://ridewithgps.com/users/84159 ...it'll show rides i've done, distance, time, average speed, etc, and starting around 7/10/12 (?) or so, my heart rate information, since thats when i picked up my Garmin w/ HRM.

i think my resting is high 50's, low 60's. i can control my HR while riding, i just can't control it AND produce more power. lol. when i see it creeping up to my max level, i know i have to dial back my effort to keep it from going over my peak, but that results in slower riding. i'd like to get to a point where i can put out a more decent effort/speed without the crazy jump. i can average 18mph for 50-60 miles (as seen on my ride last sunday...and even though it says low 17s, its because the route i took had a couple shitty spots where i had to ride gravel for a mile and half doing 9, or grass where the "paved trail" stopped") at 154bpm, but last week when i rode dublin tuesday night, i think we averaged 22.0 with a 173+ average HR. thats 93% of my MAX. that can't be good for training. or can it?

from what i've found, and theres many different formulas, my MHR should be between 185 and 188.

we usually ride at a steady pace, it was slower earlier this year as i wasnt nearly as strong as i am now, but we usually keep a 19-22 pace for the whole ride. obviously we do a slower pace when we go out for hill training around granville, lancaster, etc, but for the most part, its pretty consistent. and we'll have spots in the ride where we might hammer at 26-27mph for a couple miles then drop back down to 20-21, but then have a hill towards the end which i'm thrilled to keep 14-15mph going up it

as for winter, this is the first year that i've gotten into cycling seriously. i had a bike last year, it was 5cm too big for me, and i got about 1200 miles in. total. this year, i bought a new bike, getting out a lot more (pushing 3100 miles so far since end of feb, and still plenty of time to ride). the majority of my rides are between 40-60 miles, had a few that were longer. i have a trainer i bought last winter, and plan to try to use it a lot more this winter, but as i already know, and keep hearing from friends who ride, trainers get boring. thats why i want to try to do spin class a few days a week. get in with a group of people, have others there to push each other, etc. in my basement its just kinda "eh, this is good enough", when its probably not.

for anyone interested in looking at my activity, http://ridewithgps.com/users/84159 ...it'll show rides i've done, distance, time, average speed, etc, and starting around 7/10/12 (?) or so, my heart rate information, since thats when i picked up my Garmin w/ HRM.

i think my resting is high 50's, low 60's. i can control my HR while riding, i just can't control it AND produce more power. lol. when i see it creeping up to my max level, i know i have to dial back my effort to keep it from going over my peak, but that results in slower riding. i'd like to get to a point where i can put out a more decent effort/speed without the crazy jump. i can average 18mph for 50-60 miles (as seen on my ride last sunday...and even though it says low 17s, its because the route i took had a couple shitty spots where i had to ride gravel for a mile and half doing 9, or grass where the "paved trail" stopped") at 154bpm, but last week when i rode dublin tuesday night, i think we averaged 22.0 with a 173+ average HR. thats 93% of my MAX. that can't be good for training. or can it?

I'm not going to explain in great detail but there's a lot that goes into why you cannot produce power at a high heart rate. Most of it has to do with muscle type.

I for instance suck at distance, i can move an incredible amount of weight for low reps. However my muscles fatigue quickly with high reps. It's the same with cardio. Quick sprints vs. long distance, my muscles fatigue fast but can produce a lot of power in short burst/distances.Fortunately you can train your body for certain things, you will not be as good as someone who is genetically built with slow twitch fibers though. Also, get your V02 max taken at osu. That is another factor that may be hindering your performance.

Are you taking any stimulants?

I'm not going to explain in great detail but there's a lot that goes into why you cannot produce power at a high heart rate. Most of it has to do with muscle type.

I for instance suck at distance, i can move an incredible amount of weight for low reps. However my muscles fatigue quickly with high reps. It's the same with cardio. Quick sprints vs. long distance, my muscles fatigue fast but can produce a lot of power in short burst/distances.Fortunately you can train your body for certain things, you will not be as good as someone who is genetically built with slow twitch fibers though. Also, get your V02 max taken at osu. That is another factor that may be hindering your performance.

Are you taking any stimulants?

Such as? I honestly probably need to figure out a good diet and stick to it. I usually try to stay hydrated leading up to a ride day, although i know i could/should do much better. If im riding in the AM, i slam carbs the night before. Evening rides ill eat a decent lunch, and have some carbs/sugar (pb&j) about an hour before, has helped me a lot doing that.

I should say, its not that i really feel fatigued, i mean, i keep with our group and dont get dropped like i did start of the year, i just want to do what im doing now, but with less effort/not requiring as much energy...then i can have some extra reserves for when a few of us want to mess around and do sprints and just go balls to the wall for 2-300 meters, im not burnt out and hitting 199+ bpm after 100 meters.

Such as? I honestly probably need to figure out a good diet and stick to it. I usually try to stay hydrated leading up to a ride day, although i know i could/should do much better. If im riding in the AM, i slam carbs the night before. Evening rides ill eat a decent lunch, and have some carbs/sugar (pb&j) about an hour before, has helped me a lot doing that.

I should say, its not that i really feel fatigued, i mean, i keep with our group and dont get dropped like i did start of the year, i just want to do what im doing now, but with less effort/not requiring as much energy...then i can have some extra reserves for when a few of us want to mess around and do sprints and just go balls to the wall for 2-300 meters, im not burnt out and hitting 199+ bpm after 100 meters.

Cut out the fat before the ride, take in complex carbs.

How far ahead of time are you talking? For example, lets say on a day like today, up at 630, breakfast, at work at 8, lunch at 12, and i plan to ride at 6. I know if i dont eat within an hour or so of starting, i break really early. So what would be something to shoot for during lunch, and something pre ride?

How far ahead of time are you talking? For example, lets say on a day like today, up at 630, breakfast, at work at 8, lunch at 12, and i plan to ride at 6. I know if i dont eat within an hour or so of starting, i break really early. So what would be something to shoot for during lunch, and something pre ride?

I guess its what you have access to in order to prepare your meals or reheat them/cook them at work.

Days you ride i would consider a sweet potato, brown rice or some other form of complex carb with lunch along with a lean protein of some sort.

Prior to the ride ( about 1hour) eat some granola.

171 average HR for almost 6 hours today. Hit my max or more over 22 times. Felt a little sore but ok after the ride...Hurting pretty bad now. Chest is tight, a little hard to breathe. Hell, even the muscles in the front of my neck are sore to the point it was a little uncomfortable to eat something

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/220840929

Do you even know your max? If you are using the 220 minus your age formula, its probably wrong.

Go out, warm up for 5-10 mins, then go as hard as you can for a minute or 2. Note the heart rate. Cool down for a few mins, then go hard as fuk again. Note the heart rate. This should be your max.

my question isnt about finding my max. if i wanted to go off the fastest ive ever got my heart pumping, its up around 199-201. even going off this, 171 is 85%...for 6 hours.

My question is how do i get stroger to the point that im not putting that much stress on my heart? i could do a slow ride at 14mph and keep my HR at 140 and ride literally all day long. how do i work to the point where i can do a faster paced ride and keep a lower HR so i can have more endurace and not feel like im working so hard?

my question isnt about finding my max. if i wanted to go off the fastest ive ever got my heart pumping, its up around 199-201. even going off this, 171 is 85%...for 6 hours.

My question is how do i get stroger to the point that im not putting that much stress on my heart? i could do a slow ride at 14mph and keep my HR at 140 and ride literally all day long. how do i work to the point where i can do a faster paced ride and keep a lower HR so i can have more endurace and not feel like im working so hard?

Get a stress test done/ vo2max done.