Talk me into boating

Hahn

I just kind of stumbled upon the idea of buying a boat and ran into a head ache. I have an idea of what i want to do with the boat but dont know what to look at. I want to use it for entertainment with fam/friends, water sports and some fishing. I have the idea of pontoons, cuddy cabins, deck boats and open hull. Are these along the right path for what im looking for and is there any others that could serve this purpose. I want it to hold at least 4ppl with more being better. Also would prefer to find something under $7500, cheaper being better. Also ran into the problem of storage as i only have a one car garage which im sure cant hold a boat. I might be getting ahead of myself but oh well, i have nothing better to do with my time. Thanks in advance for any advice fellas.

Your post was too vauge...you said you were intersted in preety much all kinds of boats...

Personally I love being on the water. I've got two bjetskis and the family now has a boat(I sld my boat 2 years ago) andbeing in the boats been some of the best times I've had in year. Only thing on the boat that broke was a solnoid so nothing biggie at all and I ran the piss out of that thing.

Your post was too vauge...you said you were intersted in preety much all kinds of boats...

I listed 4 possibe boats. Just wondering if these fit the critieria for what i want to do with a boat. Just trying to get some answers on something i have no idea about.

I listed 4 possibe boats. Just wondering if these fit the critieria for what i want to do with a boat. Just trying to get some answers on something i have no idea about.

You listed 4 styles of boats. That's like saying, I'm looking at coupes, hatchbacks, sedans and SUVs.

I will spend my entire summer on the water. But there is always the cost of fuel and maintenance even if nothing breaks.

Edited by Linn

I bought a boat to have fun with family and friends one Summer.

I took it out twice by myself for an hour each time and once with another couple at Buckeye Lake for maybe two hours.

Three times out all year then sold it for a grand less than I paid.

$333 per trip. :)

:(

Ok well this has been disapointing. Deff expected more pros for the boating scene. But no questions answered and it sounds like you lose money regardless.

The best kind of boat is one your friend owns. Re-read Vinny's post and you'll know why I say that. Your friend will completely disagree, but keep in mind, you want it that way.

Depends on where you are in your life. If you have time and are legitimately going to use it twice a month or more....then it will be worth it. But keep in mind you won't use it as much as you think you will. If you don't have storage on your property, it sucks to pay to store it. How close are you to water?

Personally, I got rid of my aquatic toys. I still enjoy renting a ski boat, party barge, or jetski at the lake nearby whenever I want to get out. But I don't have to worry about it later.

I will try to help. I have owned everything from pontoon boats, jetskis, power boats, canoes, you name it I have owned it, all except a sailboat. Depending on how heavy you want to get into boating and the amount of time to want to set aside to enjoy it will help you decide what boat is best for you. If your on a budget but want to go fast and dont plan on taking more than yourself or another rider out, think jetski. They are fun, easy to maintain, dont take up alot of space but you are limited to riding by yourself or unless you have 2 finding others to hang out with. Then you have your typical standard boat which tends to be either an open bow or cuddy. Cuddy doesnt make sense for most people and they would rather have the space for more people than being able to go down into hull unless they plan on sleeping on the water or like having the amenities that can come with them. These boats tend to go faster and allow for 5-7 passengers. Downside is these are the gas guzzlers. I typically spend $2-300 in fuel everyday I am out. Go out 5 days a week during vacation and it adds up, but then again thats alot of cruising. These are by far the most expensive to maintain out of the 3 I will describe. Lastly theres the pontoon boat which is my all around favorite. You can haul around alot of people, they are great just to get out, anchor and hang out/cook on all day. They are fairly easy to maintain and repair, they can be had for reasonable $$$ and for a family you can cheaply modify them so everyone enjoys it. The downside is these tend to come with smaller motors, you can add a larger motor or go all out and buy one with an i/o motor just like a regular vhull boat but they get a bit pricey. Dont plan on getting a pontoon with a 25hp motor and want to go all over the lake. You will get pissed as your passed by just about everyone so just anchor and have fun. There are various types of all that I have listed and you can interchange features of each. The above just gives you a basic runddown of my experience with each.

If going fast is for you think jetski or speedboat

If you want to just get out and hangout think pontoon

If you want to go fast but fishing is your thing think bassboat

If you want to go fast by yourself think jetski

If you want to go fast with others and dont mind the cost of repairs, maint. and fuel think speedboat

If you want to go fast but with more room think deckboat

Keep in mind there are alot of boats out there that are designed to add crossover features of the others. Pontoons setup for family fun and fishing ect...

Keep in mind there are places for you to rent just about everykind of boat so dont feel pressured to buy one. To do it right no matter which boat you go with plan on spending several thousands a year in payments, repairs and storage. Its definately not a cheap sport. I pay $30 a night just to dock the boat while its out, it all adds up. Its better to pay a guy $150 a day to rent his pontoon boat for a day than $5-10k a year of buying and maintaining a boat you take out 3 times. Remember with all the costs, boating season is typically only 3 months long.

I am not a boat guy. I never have been, and I doubt I ever will. That being said, my bud in Florida has taken me out on his fishing boat several times, and ALWAYS had a blast. It's a great fishing boat. But, that's just it. It's a FISHING BOAT! IMO, it does not have value for cruising w/ friends and family.

My In-Laws had a Houseboat. It was a BLAST! You could have as many folks on there as you knew! Great for gatherings and casual fishing. The downside: it was FUCKING HUGE!!!! (120')

My In-Laws sold their Houseboat and bought a lakeside home and picked up a Pontoon Boat (~25-30'). This was also a great gathering boat. We had 10 people on it, and had TONS of room. It was "fast" enough to pull a skier (not very agile though). It could get into some better fishing spots, and was comfy enough to spend the night on (if we had wanted to).

Well, there's MY input. Take it for what you will.

KillJoy

99% of all boaters do not nor will never get into the type of boating in linns first video. I think of boating like guys who enjoy riding motorcycles. I owned a bike but when I heard people descibe riding I never had the feeling they did about how much they enjoyed it. The closest thing I can relate to it for me is boating. To really enjoy being a boat owner you have to have the desire to really commit to it.

I bought a boat to have fun with family and friends one Summer.

I took it out twice by myself for an hour each time and once with another couple at Buckeye Lake for maybe two hours.

Three times out all year then sold it for a grand less than I paid.

$333 per trip. :)

$333 per trip sounds ridiculous. I had no idea it would cost that much each time. That could be a huge factor for me. And now that i think about it, between school, work and the family, i probably wouldnt be able to get out as much as i think that i could.

:(

The best kind of boat is one your friend owns. Re-read Vinny's post and you'll know why I say that. Your friend will completely disagree, but keep in mind, you want it that way.

Good point, but now i have to recruit friends with boats.

Depends on where you are in your life. If you have time and are legitimately going to use it twice a month or more....then it will be worth it. But keep in mind you won't use it as much as you think you will. If you don't have storage on your property, it sucks to pay to store it. How close are you to water?

Personally, I got rid of my aquatic toys. I still enjoy renting a ski boat, party barge, or jetski at the lake nearby whenever I want to get out. But I don't have to worry about it later.

As far as where im at in life, i think not owning a home with space to store a boat is another big factor i didnt realy take into consideration. Also, i didnt realy considering renting a boat which seems like a great idea.

I will try to help. I have owned everything from pontoon boats, jetskis, power boats, canoes, you name it I have owned it, all except a sailboat. Depending on how heavy you want to get into boating and the amount of time to want to set aside to enjoy it will help you decide what boat is best for you. If your on a budget but want to go fast and dont plan on taking more than yourself or another rider out, think jetski. They are fun, easy to maintain, dont take up alot of space but you are limited to riding by yourself or unless you have 2 finding others to hang out with. Then you have your typical standard boat which tends to be either an open bow or cuddy. Cuddy doesnt make sense for most people and they would rather have the space for more people than being able to go down into hull unless they plan on sleeping on the water or like having the amenities that can come with them. These boats tend to go faster and allow for 5-7 passengers. Downside is these are the gas guzzlers. I typically spend $2-300 in fuel everyday I am out. Go out 5 days a week during vacation and it adds up, but then again thats alot of cruising. These are by far the most expensive to maintain out of the 3 I will describe. Lastly theres the pontoon boat which is my all around favorite. You can haul around alot of people, they are great just to get out, anchor and hang out/cook on all day. They are fairly easy to maintain and repair, they can be had for reasonable $$$ and for a family you can cheaply modify them so everyone enjoys it. The downside is these tend to come with smaller motors, you can add a larger motor or go all out and buy one with an i/o motor just like a regular vhull boat but they get a bit pricey. Dont plan on getting a pontoon with a 25hp motor and want to go all over the lake. You will get pissed as your passed by just about everyone so just anchor and have fun. There are various types of all that I have listed and you can interchange features of each. The above just gives you a basic runddown of my experience with each.

If going fast is for you think jetski or speedboat

If you want to just get out and hangout think pontoon

If you want to go fast but fishing is your thing think bassboat

If you want to go fast by yourself think jetski

If you want to go fast with others and dont mind the cost of repairs, maint. and fuel think speedboat

If you want to go fast but with more room think deckboat

Keep in mind there are alot of boats out there that are designed to add crossover features of the others. Pontoons setup for family fun and fishing ect...

Keep in mind there are places for you to rent just about everykind of boat so dont feel pressured to buy one. To do it right no matter which boat you go with plan on spending several thousands a year in payments, repairs and storage. Its definately not a cheap sport. I pay $30 a night just to dock the boat while its out, it all adds up. Its better to pay a guy $150 a day to rent his pontoon boat for a day than $5-10k a year of buying and maintaining a boat you take out 3 times. Remember with all the costs, boating season is typically only 3 months long.

Great information that i was looking for. It makes since to get a pontoon or deck boat for what i want to do, but now having all the other costs pointed out to me, i just dont know if its something i can get into right now. As much money as it costs to run a boat for just one trip along with storage fees since i dont have space to store it all adds up quick on top of just the cost of the boat. Now knowing all this i think its safe to say ill have to wait for the right time a little later in life to consider a boat. Thanks for all the good input fellas, much appreciated.

I still don't understand why you want to have a boat in Central Ohio: you can only use it part of the year, storage is a PITA, and you're in an overcrowded puddle. I would find a friend with a boat and offer beer/food/gas to go out with them a couple times a year.

EDIT: So I'm not a hypocrite, I will add the disclaimer that I'm looking at buying a 2000 Hurricane 237 for my condo in FL, but at a firesale of a price and at a boat slip w/ lift in my condo complex. :)

I still don't understand why you want to have a boat in Central Ohio: you can only use it part of the year, storage is a PITA, and you're in an overcrowded puddle. I would find a friend with a boat and offer beer/food/gas to go out with them a couple times a year.

EDIT: So I'm not a hypocrite, I will add the disclaimer that I'm looking at buying a 2000 Hurricane 237 for my condo in FL, but at a firesale of a price and at a boat slip w/ lift in my condo complex. :)

.. I don't have any issues flying across the lake. Honestly buckeye and alum is big enough for what I want out of it.. lounging around, wakeboarding or tubing..and the ocasional race.. plenty big for my boat and jet skis. For a 100mph boat sure these wouldn't work but chances are most don't have aboat that fast.

I'm 100% in favor of boating. Frankly I find it cheeper then street racing and well there's half naked women all around... ide takee that over parking lot pimping with a bunch of dudes..

At this point in time, i realy dont think its going to happen just because of the storage issue. But i will have one at some point, and i agree with Paul, Alumn and Buckeye are plenty big enough for what i would want out of it.

At this point in time, i realy dont think its going to happen just because of the storage issue. But i will have one at some point, and i agree with Paul, Alumn and Buckeye are plenty big enough for what i would want out of it.

storage isant very expensive. alum creeks 510 for the year(full 12 months) thats like 40 bucks a month not to expensive. then you have to factory in insurance a month( i pay 13 monthly for my skis) and then gas in a 4cyl boat i used about 80 bucks a day flying across the lake all day but idk im awesome. my ski takes like 50 for a full day towing a tube and wakeboarders.

think of it this way you use more in gas in a car going say out in the country for a drive threw the curves.

I've been boating since College. I've had sail and power boats from 8-40'. Being on the water on anything beats being on land. There is something mentally soothing about leaving shore. The posts here about how much time you have to spend are right-on. Think about what you do now on the weekends. Family? Golf? Church? Parties? Car events? It all has to fit. Do you have kids or pets? They have to 'fit' too. We used to spend every weekend on our sailboat. But it was just the two of us. Then we got a dog...he hated it and we didn't want to leave him alone. So...living by Alum...we got waverunners. That way we were able to go out after work and for shorter periods over weekends. Plus...we dragged them around on vacations since they were so easy to launch and tow. the sailboat was neither. We aren't really social people so we never got into the whole speedboat/deckboat party cove scene. But if what you are worried about leaving 'on-shore' is friends and family...check those out. Nowadays we have a 40' powerboat that we keep at a Marina on Catawba. We trade a 2 hour drive every Friday and Sunday for big water, more room, etc. We have 3 dogs but they just come along. It's big enough to be like a cabin on the water. 360 degree lakefront can't be beat. A counterpoint...you want to hate boating? Take a small boat of any kind out on any central Ohio lake in the middle of a hot saterday.

I've been boating since College. I've had sail and power boats from 8-40'. Being on the water on anything beats being on land. There is something mentally soothing about leaving shore. The posts here about how much time you have to spend are right-on. Think about what you do now on the weekends. Family? Golf? Church? Parties? Car events? It all has to fit. Do you have kids or pets? They have to 'fit' too. We used to spend every weekend on our sailboat. But it was just the two of us. Then we got a dog...he hated it and we didn't want to leave him alone. So...living by Alum...we got waverunners. That way we were able to go out after work and for shorter periods over weekends. Plus...we dragged them around on vacations since they were so easy to launch and tow. the sailboat was neither. We aren't really social people so we never got into the whole speedboat/deckboat party cove scene. But if what you are worried about leaving 'on-shore' is friends and family...check those out. Nowadays we have a 40' powerboat that we keep at a Marina on Catawba. We trade a 2 hour drive every Friday and Sunday for big water, more room, etc. We have 3 dogs but they just come along. It's big enough to be like a cabin on the water. 360 degree lakefront can't be beat. A counterpoint...you want to hate boating? Take a small boat of any kind out on any central Ohio lake in the middle of a hot saterday.

Pics of 40 foot boat?