My turn - What car to get?

Sully

I'm really struggling about making a decision on a new vehicle. I have my truck because I occasionally need to haul things; drywall, gravel, mulch, etc. However, my truck sits in the garage 98% of the time (I bought it brand new November 2003 and it has 60k miles). It's paid off, but I'm struggling with the fact that I drive it maybe twice a month due to the shitty gas mileage (13 mpg).

For the gas saver, I have the CRX. The thing runs like a champ. I really have no complaints about it. However, life has changed, so it's time to upgrade to something with 4 doors, newer and safer.

I could afford to just go buy a newer 4-door car and sell the crx, but I'm a tight-ass, and don't want much, if any, car payment. If I get rid of the truck, I could put that money towards a newer car, but then I have nothing to haul things with when needed.

Ideally, what I would like is to just have 1 all-purpose vehicle that I would dd year-round. I would want something with 4 doors, sporty (fun to drive daily), mid-size, some luxury options, could tow a utility trailer, and gets upwards of 30 mpg.

Does such a beast exist? Help me figure something out, please.

EDIT: No wagon or SUV.

Edited by Sully

I've given this topic a lot of thought in the past. Since I always have a cheap truck, I don't have to worry about what to haul stuff in. However, if I didn't have a truck I would....

...buy a 4-door Jeep Wrangler and a cheap trailer. Or - better yet - I have a cool neighbor with a trailer that I could borrow!

4-door Jeep Wrangler:

-seating for 5

-4-doors

-Stick shift

-All-weather traction

-comfortable on the highway (A/C, cruise control)

-Ability to tow

-CONVERTIBLE for fun

-eternally cool

-Fun to drive

:thumbup:

EDIT: Welp, except for the fuel economy!!!!

C'MON, 2013/2014 JEEP WRANGLER DIESEL!!!

Edited by zeitgeist57
reading comprehension eludes me...

I know you say "NO Wagon" but have you seen the CTS-V Wagon..... It can do everything and it is WAY cool.

If you can not do a SUV or wagon then you force yourself to own two vehicles so suck it up and make payments on your new sedan and keep the truck.

Oh sully how about an avalanche, Honda ridge line, etc...

My man Harris drove me to your house in a Ridgeline.. that thing was super nice. It has 200k miles on it and runs like a champ only needing wear/tear parts every so often.

My man Harris drove me to your house in a Ridgeline.. that thing was super nice. It has 200k miles on it and runs like a champ only needing wear/tear parts every so often.

Interiors are straight out of cheap plastic hell, but besides that and the trans, seem like a very practical vehicle.

Audi A6 Turbo4 or V6?

Two Audi Crew members passed through already, yet it's left to me to suggest an Audi? WTF?

I think the best fuel economy in the A6 you would get is in the 2.7t, and that won't be more than low 20s. Plenty of torques though, you could tow one of those faggy wannabe trucks like a Ridgeline.

Lets think about the requirements for a moment:

1. All-purpose vehicle that I would dd year-round.

2. Something with 4 doors, sporty (fun to drive daily).

3. Mid-size, some luxury options

4. Could tow a utility trailer.

5. Gets upwards of 30 mpg.

If this were europe, you'd have a whole host of options, 99% of which would be DIESEL wagons & SUV's.

You want a fun to drive luxury sedan that gets 30mpg and can tow?

If you knock out the 30mpg requirement you might be able to get into a a few cars, but who knows if they can have a hitch installed. You seriously should probably keep a truck around and get a FUN 30mpg Daily.

Lets think about the requirements for a moment:

1. All-purpose vehicle that I would dd year-round.

2. Something with 4 doors, sporty (fun to drive daily).

3. Mid-size, some luxury options

4. Could tow a utility trailer.

5. Gets upwards of 30 mpg.

If this were europe, you'd have a whole host of options, 99% of which would be DIESEL wagons & SUV's.

You want a fun to drive luxury sedan that gets 30mpg and can tow?

If you knock out the 30mpg requirement you might be able to get into a a few cars, but who knows if they can have a hitch installed. You seriously should probably keep a truck around and get a FUN 30mpg Daily.

My thoughts exactly. Go find something decent suck it up and deal with a payment, and keep the good truck. Beater trucks cost more then a decent truck, and you already have a good truck.

Why not get an Audi and get a trailer for hauling things. Don't expect it to haul real heavy stuff, but I would rather have a trailer sitting at the house then a newer truck that is never driven. Also if you don't do it a lot just rent a truck every 2 months and keep a list of everything you need to do for the day.

Bruh, wagon fits the bill best IMO. I mean the towing thing is throwing people off. What out there can tow, and be sporty/fun, and practical?

Wagons...no

SUV....no

What about a Forester XT (turbo)? Or is it too SUV/Wagon like?

What sort of weight are you looking to tow? Like how big is this trailer?