Never had this happen before with tires

DaddyBuiltRacing

Today I get a callfrom my buddy who's tuning my car. He says that they had to stop tuning due to something being wrong with the tires. He then explains to me that the rubber was seperating and that chunks of tire was going every where. This was on the dyno and on wastegate pressure (6psi). Tires are 195/50/15 Kumho AST's (yes I know they are cheap)

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/alittlelessordinary/Car%20Pics/4dr%20GSR/tire.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/alittlelessordinary/Car%20Pics/4dr%20GSR/tire2.jpg

These tires have maybe 1000 miles of use on them and its most likely more realistically 700ish. They have never been launched on, no burnouts done on them ect...I use my slicks for that shit lol. Idk if I should try seeing if Jegs will warranty them out or if I should contact Kumho directly to see if anything can be done.

Usually tires have warranty periods to where you can get another tire within a certain timeframe if a defect occurs.

That's with tirerack, I have no clue what Jegs will do.

I wouldn't be telling anyone that it was on the dyno if I was you.

Edit, it's a 130 mph tire...how fast were you dynoing it at?

Edited by M0nk3y

Yeah I always run he AST's as they are $50 a piece and I don't typically do 130mph on the streets. I use my slicks for when I wanna race, and even then I haven't hit 130mph at the track (close but no cigar). Just strange that that this happes on a controlled enviroment setting such as the dyno. Thankfully it wasn't on the highway.

What tires are a better option to a baller on a budget lol. I run $50 tires because I am poor point blank. I now however feel that these aren't very safe and would rather skip out on going out to eat and put money towards better tires.

Yeah I always run he AST's as they are $50 a piece and I don't typically do 130mph on the streets. I use my slicks for when I wanna race, and even then I haven't hit 130mph at the track (close but no cigar). Just strange that that this happes on a controlled enviroment setting such as the dyno. Thankfully it wasn't on the highway.

What tires are a better option to a baller on a budget lol. I run $50 tires because I am poor point blank. I now however feel that these aren't very safe and would rather skip out on going out to eat and put money towards better tires.

How fast was the dyno running at though? The rubber (if there was any) from the roller could easily have an effect on the tire.

It's hard to find a tire in a 15" size these days. I was going to suggest Hankook, as I've had good success with their Venus V4s, V12s, and currently have their R-S3s for autocross.

If you're not doing any digs or anything, just find a decent tire with some speed rating, and when you're going to dyno throw the slicks on.

The more I think about it the more I think this isn't anyones fauilt but my own. I should've gotten a higher speed rated tire from the onset instead of being a cheap ass, lesson learned!

I applaud you for taking responsibility and not trying to lay the blame on anyone else.

Call me at 3pm. Ill see if we can't take them back and get you into something better suited for your application. My extention is 631.

For the record, I'm not trying to sell anything, I'm being nice. If I'm breaking any rules by doing so, I'm apologizing now.