What's your opinion on a repaired lens's resell value?

1fynz

Hey all,

A while back my Canon 24-70 f2.8 was knocked off a table. The lens barrel bent, and the lens was possibly back-focusing, but more than likely that problem existed within the 7D body that was attached during the accident, as the lens didn't exhibit the same issue on other bodies.

I have been eyeing the new Tamron 24-70 2.8 with their Vibration Compensation, as the image quality doesn't seem far off the canon, and with the amount of video I do the VC would be invaluable. With Canon finally updating their 24-70 and still not incorporating IS, it doesn't seem that will happen anytime soon.

My question comes down to how much, if at all, the history of my 24-70 would be reflected in the resell price. I obviously don't expect to recoup my costs of repair, but with the lens being hand checked and calibrated by Canon, which some send their brand new lenses in for, is this detrimental to the resell value?

Check your serial numbers. My bet is they didn't repair your lens but rather likely exchanged it. Date codes will confirm if they gave you a newer model. I've had two lenses sent in for repairs and in both cases they were replaced with refurbs much newer than my originals.

Check your serial numbers. My bet is they didn't repair your lens but rather likely exchanged it. Date codes will confirm if they gave you a newer model. I've had two lenses sent in for repairs and in both cases they were replaced with refurbs much newer than my originals.

I was hoping this would be the case, especially after having to send it back as it still was exhibiting some issues, but I still have my original copy.