What makes your call on a parts store?

99StockGT

Are you usually using reman or new parts that you have had problems with in the past Crossle? I can tell you on the part supplier side its a big pain in the neck for us as well having to replace a part that's failed. Not to mention it doesn't reflect well on us when lifetime parts fail in a year or two..though sometimes improper installation does accelerate the death of some parts.

I have unboxed plenty of "new" parts that have defective right out of the box.

I have seen reman parts that are more expensive than the new part.

I have ordered 2 of the same new part, same part number and box (Example, outer tie rods) and have had them be different in build quality and appearance. This is incredibly frustrating.

I have gotten the high line new part and have it boxed with the low end part. This is usually caused by the parts house NOT CHECKING THEIR RETURNS, everyone looses on this one. I am wasting money waiting for the issue to be corrected, the parts house has to run their delivery person around fixing the problem, and the supplier gets angry having to deal with any of it.

Most all of our customers do not complain about our prices, and the ones that do almost always come back for more work. We strive for good parts and will buy from whomever can provide us the high quality part. The most important aspect of this is having those parts in stock. We get killed waiting for the good parts. Since most of the general public buys the cheapest parts, and parts houses push them beause they have a better mark up on them as well. Why not sell the person a quality part so instead of coming back with a broken part they come back for a different part to fix a new problem?

We also practice certain techniques with some parts that other shops do not to help insure longevity of wearable components. Examples are only using suspension components that are greaseable (not that quicklube actually lubes them) or turning brand new rotors with a on car brake lathe.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you have been up and down both sides of this issue yourself. Unfortuntely as we all know by now, not "all parts are created equal". Remans most of the time are great for the cost saving and usually excellent equality though sometimes this isn't the case. Whether it was a bad core that was reworked, the rework process wasn't done properly, or just general bad luck...it happens.

Prices can swing so wildly on certain parts for different vehicles it's hard to speak to an exact cost saving but it IS ususally pretty sizeable. I know the inventory battle is one every parts shop has to deal with on a daily basis, the sheer amount of cycle counting and product on hand checking we do is rather incredible so hopefully thats helping to push your local store towards a better supply for YOU.

Hopefully you will also find that your store you are doing business for goes out of their way to take care of you if you are a good customer, commerical or otherwise. As I said in an earlier post I've sent drivers all the way across the city for a lug stud/nut before which was a total drain on my revenue but it was the right thing to do and keeps that relationship strong. I'm sure on the services side you have seen where that kind of thinking gets you, repeat customers, higher satisfaction scores, word of mouth referrals...it all comes down to taking care of people properly.

Kudos to you as shop also trying to get people into the higher quality parts too, for SOOO many reasons. Most people these days don't have nearly the throw around money they used to...but you rather do this right the first time. For your sake, our sake, and their sake!

*steps off soapbox*

I'm late to this party. When I'm buying parts it depends on the car, certain parts I'll stick the with factory OEM parts only, but if I'm in a bind or that particular part doesn't matter then its the brand and availability, certain aftermarket brands I stay away from.

Now I've gone into a few parts stores where the person behind the counter is 100% clueless and I end up looking up the part I need for them. Only qaulification for that damn job must be breathing.

Honestly the Advance Auto on Bethel is the reason I personally am an Advance Auto fan. I lived around the corner and parts are almost always in stock, at a good price, and the staff was awesome. I doubt you know anyone that was there since I left Cbus almost 7 yrs ago (wow) but Jono, member on here was part of the staff and he always went above and beyond. Even though the price and availability is relatively the same in most stores (for what I needed) I have been to other Advance Autos where the staff did not have an idea of what they were talking about, and the Autozone across the street was better. Just the nature of it.

To place some contrast on Cordell's rant, its no secret when I started on this forum I didn't even know how to do my own brakes. Did I learn the ropes of automotive? Yes. But it was with help from forum members, manuals, interwebs, etc. I value the opinion and guidance of my autoparts guy if I need it. Kind of like the guy at lowe's when i'm tackling a home project.

I understand that yo have to protect your industry but you also have to have a business vision that there are several business opportunities to be had. Of course you want to get paid to do the work and that is understandable. There will always be people that will pay technicians to do their car work, they don't have or want the knowledge, they aren't passionate about it, they are rich, whatever. But there is also a market (obviously) for the do it yourselfers.

I will admit I consider myself smart with money, some say frugal or cheap, but I disagree as I will spend money where quality is necessary. But most importantly I have had and heard of bad experiences with 'professionals'/'technicians'. I won't take my car to a shop unless I absolutely have to because since I'm not paid hourly I make sure I do a quality job and don't cut corners. I know i'm not getting stuck with crappy oil. I know that I'm replacing the crush washer on the drain plug. I know I am putting anti-seize on my spark plugs. I'm going to be careful and not scratch my car, or damage the interior. I know I am using my torque wrench. Maybe I expect something that is unreasonable? But that is why I do my own repairs.

Getting back on topic. Staff is very important I remember the NAPA warehouse on 161 was pretty awesome. They had stuff advance auto didn't and I remember their staff was usually very knowledgeable (old timers), but then again sometimes they only knew about old vehicles and technology so you have to have a good mix. What I like about NAPA that most other chain stores don't have is that they can look parts up by PARTS rather than by car.

That might be tricky to understand, but imagine you lose a hub bearing cap/dust cap. Can't find the application for your vehicle in the computer but you can run out there with the sales guy, a digital caliper and measure the bore. In turn flip through some manuals and find a part that fits by the size/application rather than by vehicle. This kind of service would have been really nice when doing my LSX conversion since there is fab work involved and stuff is not off-the-shelf.

Also, don't know how feasible this is, but NAPA also has hardware in bins, sold separately. For example NPT fittings. You can bring your part in, make sure its going to work for what you need. I absolutely love a local hardware shop (15 miles away) that has a hardware row. When I am putting something together you can go to the hardware store and run through the bins assembling what you need. Its great, has metric and standard stuff and then stuff i consider out of the norm. Helicoils, roll pins, square keys, wierd caps and just good stuff you seem to always need. I do not like having to run from the auto parts store and then to the hardware store. But not sure how viable this really is for a store. Since most auto stores just don't have the real estate to provide this level of detail.

When you say breathing...do you mean with or without assistance? Now is that assistance with a manaul pump or electric? 1.8liter tank or 2? Might I also suggest this excellent cannula grease to keep the connection strong and lubricated? ;)

I agree though about the depends on the car. Certain on vehicles it's easy to find good quality not terribly expensive parts, others its impossible. Unfortunately its anyones guess as to which these are. I've run into mid 90s Honda/Acuras that are insanely difficult to even find brakes for which is insane.

Honestly the Advance Auto on Bethel is the reason I personally am an Advance Auto fan. I lived around the corner and parts are almost always in stock, at a good price, and the staff was awesome. I doubt you know anyone that was there since I left Cbus almost 7 yrs ago (wow) but Jono, member on here was part of the staff and he always went above and beyond. Even though the price and availability is relatively the same in most stores (for what I needed) I have been to other Advance Autos where the staff did not have an idea of what they were talking about, and the Autozone across the street was better. Just the nature of it.

To place some contrast on Cordell's rant, its no secret when I started on this forum I didn't even know how to do my own brakes. Did I learn the ropes of automotive? Yes. But it was with help from forum members, manuals, interwebs, etc. I value the opinion and guidance of my autoparts guy if I need it. Kind of like the guy at lowe's when i'm tackling a home project.

I understand that yo have to protect your industry but you also have to have a business vision that there are several business opportunities to be had. Of course you want to get paid to do the work and that is understandable. There will always be people that will pay technicians to do their car work, they don't have or want the knowledge, they aren't passionate about it, they are rich, whatever. But there is also a market (obviously) for the do it yourselfers.

I will admit I consider myself smart with money, some say frugal or cheap, but I disagree as I will spend money where quality is necessary. But most importantly I have had and heard of bad experiences with 'professionals'/'technicians'. I won't take my car to a shop unless I absolutely have to because since I'm not paid hourly I make sure I do a quality job and don't cut corners. I know i'm not getting stuck with crappy oil. I know that I'm replacing the crush washer on the drain plug. I know I am putting anti-seize on my spark plugs. I'm going to be careful and not scratch my car, or damage the interior. I know I am using my torque wrench. Maybe I expect something that is unreasonable? But that is why I do my own repairs.

Getting back on topic. Staff is very important I remember the NAPA warehouse on 161 was pretty awesome. They had stuff advance auto didn't and I remember their staff was usually very knowledgeable (old timers), but then again sometimes they only knew about old vehicles and technology so you have to have a good mix. What I like about NAPA that most other chain stores don't have is that they can look parts up by PARTS rather than by car.

That might be tricky to understand, but imagine you lose a hub bearing cap/dust cap. Can't find the application for your vehicle in the computer but you can run out there with the sales guy, a digital caliper and measure the bore. In turn flip through some manuals and find a part that fits by the size/application rather than by vehicle. This kind of service would have been really nice when doing my LSX conversion since there is fab work involved and stuff is not off-the-shelf.

Also, don't know how feasible this is, but NAPA also has hardware in bins, sold separately. For example NPT fittings. You can bring your part in, make sure its going to work for what you need. I absolutely love a local hardware shop (15 miles away) that has a hardware row. When I am putting something together you can go to the hardware store and run through the bins assembling what you need. Its great, has metric and standard stuff and then stuff i consider out of the norm. Helicoils, roll pins, square keys, wierd caps and just good stuff you seem to always need. I do not like having to run from the auto parts store and then to the hardware store. But not sure how viable this really is for a store. Since most auto stores just don't have the real estate to provide this level of detail.

I realize there maybe a very small niche for this level of service and the investment just may not be worth it.

Berto - Thanks for the post, very good points! One of the things I'm currently battling with is getting this store (Bethel Rd) back to its former glory. We have a pretty decent crew here now and starting to really hit on all cylinders. Unfortunately as you said the retail space in most of our stores doesn't allow us to have all the fun toys and parts we wish we could. Heck in exhaust parts/Intake/Intercooler alone for people doing custom piping would be wonderful to have unfortunately we just don't have the space for it.

We are however expanding some of our instore parts we have been carrying, and as I said in an earlier post if there are some specific things (Redline) we all want to see carried I can start stocking it. It just has to move out the door to justify.

I really like NAPA, but I much prefer Advance Auto.

In my mind most parts stores are much the same- prices, parts quality, etc..... usually generic and garbage.

I prefer AutoZone the least, I won't go out of my way for O'Reillys, Advance Auto is usually everywhere, and I never go into any of these stores without having an idea of a part number or part name for them to look up. Otherwise, I deal with parts from online retailers I trust and just stick to getting oil change supplies from local parts stores.

Yup, if you walk into a store, or try to order something without doing your own research and having the part number ready, you deserve what you get. :dumb:

Why would u expect that. Don't shop at that place. Period.soon or later they will hire people with a brain or shut the doors.

Unfortunately as much as we would like to have ex or current mechanics staffed at all times in all stores that's not the reality of how things can work. If we were to do so our labor overhead would be so high, which would get passed down in price hikes, that we wouldn't be doing any business anyways.

Another thing to keep in mind as was mentioned from a previous poster when you are no longer stock sometimes upgrades require different parts than what is listed in the computerized parts catelogs. I would say most of us do some digging around online or at the very least asking a friend about what we may need before heading to the parts shop.

im the Retail parts pro for the advance in pickerington, been in autoparts for 8 years

i like to think i know what im doing ive learned most of what in know from working on cars and research.

but honestly people want everyone that works in a parts store to know everything

you have to remember, the company hires people who will work for low wage before they hire experience

how many people do you know that are super experienced in automotive knowledge

and will work for $8/hr

i was young when i started in auto parts and didnt know shit

Most of the best people you'll find in our stores as well as any of the other major parts houses are self taught or shade tree folk. Not saying its a bad thing though! Unfortunately with the reality we all have to deal with these days that's just how things are. We DO of course try to get the post possible people for our dollar.

Just an aside I really appreciate the feedback you all have provided. Had a great meeting today with my higher-ups and will bring up several of these points again on Monday when we meet again. Let the research continue!

Interesting thread...

After 35+ years in the automotive aftermarket (parts & service) - it's interesting to hear some live feedback - other than trade magazine surveys of "techs". A few personal observations on various chains/parts/brands:

I rarely use Autozone or Carquest and less and less NAPA due to the "what's in the box?" issue. When everything is a "house brand" - who knows what your getting. Many "house brands" are a hodge podge of the cheapest part they can get and can be made up of any number of manufacturers parts. Just because the part number on the box belongs to a certain manufacturer doesn't mean the part in the box is from them (in a house brand). Unless I know who the supplier is - I rarely use house brands.

Warranty - the "Lifetime Warranty" crap started with retailers 30+ years ago to give people confidence in "unbrand" parts. It was a DIY thing as those folks often didn't care if they did the job 2 or 3 times - it was all about price.

RockAuto (and several mail order houses) - I typically don't use them - they are just mail order houses that drop ship from existing warehouses. I usually just go to the source.

Quality - more and more of an issue. I will not buy brake rotors from most retail chains as many only offer Chinese rotors. Usually there is no US or European option. I typically buy brands I know are good quality - regardless of the printed warranty. Like Tommy Boy said "I can take a dump in a box and put a warranty on it, I've got the time".

Price - yes, I like to get the best price on the brands I want. I will not buy bulbs, hose clamps, fuses from retailers - 2 chinese made bulbs for $4.99??? No thanks, I can go to KOI / Smyth / Genuine and get them for less than $1.00 each. Hose clamps - same story - over $1.00 each by the 10 pc. box ant the "O", less than .60 each at a traditional parts house.

OEM vs. OES. vs. Aftermarket - Do you know the difference? OEM - Original Equipment Manufactured - is the assembly line part - usually only available for less than 10 years after the car is manufactured. OES - Original Equipment Service (Delco/Motorcraft/Mopar) - MAY be the same as the OEM, but is usually an aftermarket part. Keep in mind Delco manufactures nothing, they are simply a reboxer. Much of their stuff initially comes from OEM, but after the first several years it is almost all "aftermarket" supplied.

Aftermarket is assumed by some to be junk (particularly by some dealership guys who have been drinking the cool-aid too long). Major aftermarket companies typically are also OEM and OES suppliers. Again, know who the parts come from - it's still a quality thing.

Yes I work for a major aftermarket entity. Yes, I've seen a lot of companies come and go. Yes, we sell parts to Advance, O'Reilly's, NAPA, Smyth Parts Plus, KOI-Federated, Auto Value, Pronto, Jegs, Summit and others (even a few to Autozone & Carquest) - and these are strictly my own personal observations.

And finally, yes, I will get off my soapbox....

Always glad to discuss the parts business with anyone who wants to learn, better thamselves and make the business better for everyone. Best of luck in your new position - I do shop the Bethel store regularly - I'm about halfway between there and N High St.

Edited by craig71188
Disclaimer added

Top 2 things for me are knowledgeable staff and availability on higher line parts because I wont buy "economy" parts. Most places are fairly close on price and I get a discount everywhere anyways so cost isnt a huge factor in where I buy from. I need knowledgeable people on the other end of the phone when Im ordering parts at the shop or else I lose it. We do order most of our parts through napa though and take full advantage of their ProLink program which is great. Im slowly becoming a big fan of smyth parts plus due to availability, customer service and the parts are all made by the same manufacturers as all the bigger chains and Ive yet to have any issues. I also look for anywhere that is NOT autozone. Ive had more part failures and issues with them than anywhere else and I dont care how good the warranty program is, I do not want to do the job twice and certainly not three times.

I really appreciate the foot traffic and feedback from the community over the last week. Since opening this thread I have gotten some wonderful posts and private messages that are hopefully helping us to become a better and better shop. We are beginning to tweak our product offerings including some new higher end care care products that very few shops actually stock. More to come on this later!

The Napa system is awesome, there's no other way to say it. I have to deal with that battle on a daily basis with my commercial accounts, it is that it is. Best tool on my side is a genuine desire to really make your buying experience positive and HOPEFULLY a not so bad place to come for a carshow ;) (shamesless cross thread promotion attempt)

I'm with Crossle on quality. Doing a job twice is once too much. I believe in doing a job once and doing it right and moving on. Even on things that probably don't matter, I'll typically spend the extra money on the better quality part. The part is only a small part of the work typically. I'm used to the labor cost being the lions share of the job, so I may as well pay to have a better part installed. The labor is the same regardless of the quality of the part.

I can tell you honestly, I wish more people understood that. Time after time customers will come in and opt for an off brand/house brand/reman when a brand new high quality option is available for just a couple of dollars more. Now granted, that new nice shiney part can still fail but most likely not quite as quickly and worse case it generally carries a MUCH longer warranty.

Spread the word around, buy the best part, do the job once! (Hopefully)