Very Official 2013 Football Thread

Dr. Pomade

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Add Indiana to the list of teams trying to gain publicity via new uniforms:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/indiana-unveils-six-helmets-including-two-cringe-190709321.html

the two white helmets looked cool but that's it, I hope they know new helmets aren't gonna save that program lol

No way. I still stand by the fact that he is considered one of the best in the country.

He's the best at accepting a shit bowl out of pure hubris, at the end of a mediocre season, against a team from a conference that traditionally gives the buckeyes problems, a bowl game we lost , costing us at best a BCS bowl the following year, and at worst a possible national championship.

He's definitely the best at doing that.

Gee to retire, now we just need to get Smith out.

:grin2:

Like I said in the other thread, one of the best OSU insider's sources is saying that he PROMISES Smith is done now. We'll see. I think it's the same source who had Urban to OSU a couple months before it happened almost to the day it would be announced.

I think it's the same source who had Urban to OSU a couple months before it happened almost to the day it would be announced.

Right, but just about every single buckeye fan I know called "Urban" for the job the day Tress was fired, I certainly did. Anyways I hope he's right again though :).

OSU landed a walkon punter from Australia today, kid has a booming leg. Reportedly the coach has vids of this kid hitting 80 yard punts with hang times in the mid 5 second area. I watched a video of him on youtube and he def has a booming kick. Many people were worried that OSU would have to use a schollie on a punter in this class, looks like those concerns are done. Kid is eligible to play this year

He's the best at accepting a shit bowl out of pure hubris, at the end of a mediocre season, against a team from a conference that traditionally gives the buckeyes problems, a bowl game we lost , costing us at best a BCS bowl the following year, and at worst a possible national championship.

He's definitely the best at doing that.

:grin2:

He also just won an award for running the best compliance dept, has been the chair of the NCAA selection committee

AD of the year in 2010

2008 John L. Toner award

2007 President of the D-1 AD association

NACDA President

Also considered the best fiscal control AD out there.

I think it's funny how bad people want him out, but OSU would be very hard pressed to find a better AD

It's cute that all those awards aside from the compliance thing came before the NCAA stuff.

I don't think he's done an awful job overall but the way he handled everything throughout that mess was about as bad as it could have been. Biggest issue seeming to be that he's a bit of an attention whore. Needed to respond to/comment on anything and everything when all he really needed to do was shut up and let things play out.

I think OSU will be hard pressed to find someone as good as Gee who made plenty of dumb remarks but did a ton of good that really mattered. I don't think they'd have too hard a time finding someone who can do what Smith has done.

It's cute that all those awards aside from the compliance thing came before the NCAA stuff.
Cute or ironic that the thing most bash him about, he just won an award for? The award-

"The Organizational Leadership Award is designed to honor organizational leaders who have demonstrated outstanding commitments to promoting compliance within their organizations and on a national level"

I would say that is a pretty damn strong endorsement to everything he has changed within the dept since the tatgate shit.

I don't think he's done an awful job overall but the way he handled everything throughout that mess was about as bad as it could have been. Biggest issue seeming to be that he's a bit of an attention whore. Needed to respond to/comment on anything and everything when all he really needed to do was shut up and let things play out.
I disagree. Obviously the Media is a bunch of FOIA hounds when it comes to OSU (including the Dispatch who sends 100's of requests to OSU weekly). Him commenting on everything was just getting ahead of the media shitstorm that would come with anything released FOIA. If he hadn't, people would be sitting here saying "why are they just letting ESPN run with this shit?". He has a background in Marketing and it shows. He tries to market the brand by dictating the press. Not unheard of.

I think OSU will be hard pressed to find someone as good as Gee who made plenty of dumb remarks but did a ton of good that really mattered. I don't think they'd have too hard a time finding someone who can do what Smith has done.
Gene Smith is such a good fiscal hawk that he grew the Athletic Department into one of the country's largest net givers. The dept. has been self sufficient for quite a while now, but the amount he gives back to the University is outstanding. Like I said, I think OSU would be hard pressed to find someone as good as him.

Meh, I don't care if he won a Nobel prize for spontaneously creating the "World Peace" god-particle. He cost us a shot at a national championship because of his arrogance. Send him packing.

Meh, I don't care if he won a Nobel prize for spontaneously creating the "World Peace" god-particle. He cost us a shot at a national championship because of his arrogance. Send him packing.

I believe that was Jim Tressel, the tat5 and the guys who took money at the benefit (incuding Jordan Hall, who is still on the team)

I believe that was Jim Tressel, the tat5 and the guys who took money at the benefit (incuding Jordan Hall, who is still on the team)

That is only partially correct. Yes they caused the entire fiasco, and the guilt of the act (which we all must agree is fucking stupid) lays at their feet.

The handling of the situation post-tresselgate is all on Smith. He was the one telling the media openly, that he didn't expect a ban, all but asking to be made an example of. He accepted the Gator Bowl invitation, instead of making that years, shit-bowl a sacrificial offering, which only further made him come off as an over-confident ass.

How anyone can defend him with "Compliance" awards is beyond me, unless you were just being humorous.

http://i.imgur.com/tDUTZEU.jpg

Looks good to me. Read that construction would take place between January-August 2014 so it'll be ready for next year. Should close a little more sound in. Probably means a Cleveland spring game or something for 2014 though.

No way. I still stand by the fact that he is considered one of the best in the country.

Doesn't matter what he's considered, he's just one of the best at covering his ass just like a politician and he deserves to be fired despite some of the good he's done, period.

Doesn't matter what he's considered, he's just one of the best at covering his ass just like a politician and he deserves to be fired despite some of the good he's done, period.

LOL no

Six Ohio State teams — football, softball, women’s golf, women’s gymnastics, women’s tennis and women’s volleyball — have been honored with public recognition awards, the NCAA announced yesterday.

The football team recorded an Academic Progress Rate score of 982, and the other five teams had a perfect score of 1,000. The awards are given each year to teams that score in the top 10 percent in each sport based on their most recent multiyear APR.

Only 13 FBS football teams were honored.

I read that those APR numbers are always skewed...fwiw Alabama made that list, bet Gee is pissed that someone in the SEC learned to read and write.

ND signed a 10 year deal with Texas, they drop Michigan and add Texas? Their schedule is going to be even more brutal than it normally is. You could see years where they face Texas, USC, Florida St, Va Tech and Stanford in the same year, plus other teams like Clemson and Michigan St

I read that those APR numbers are always skewed...fwiw Alabama made that list, bet Gee is pissed that someone in the SEC learned to read and write.

From what I understand they are mainly negatively skewed. If you have a guy leave early for the NFL, and they withdraw from school before the end of the year, it's a hit on your APR.

2 more start times announced:

Buffalo- Noon

San Diego St- 3:30

That makes 6 games now with a 3:30 or later start time. I wonder if Urban had any say in this and could possibly be using it as a recruiting tool. Later start time on game day might give recruits more of a game day experience.