If you had $100,000

dover

So if everyone on cr received 100k at the same time, this could be a very feasible joint venture.... just saying.

Muhfuggah, I ain't givin you a fuckin dime. You best go somewhere else with that "share the wealth" bullshit. This is CR, where Republicans go to complain.

• Upvote 1

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, an airstrip has hangers and buildings, ect. Prob on 30+ acres. My guess it would be over 1mil to purchase one.

Depending on location you are talking anywhere from $100-300k+ for a small grass strip/field to several $100M+ but that's nothing when you've got a G650 on order... ;)

If you had $100,000 liquid capital and had no debt, what would you do with it?

Not for a car.

Not for a house.

Would you invest? Would you start a company? Would you save it?

Goal, being to take that money and turn into something that will inevitably make you more money.

Those of you that are the wealthier ones on the board, I always hear the phrase it takes money to make money. Well, what did you do? How did you go about getting to where you are?

Edit: One has the ability to take a Government backed Patriot SBA for a maximum amount of $500,000.

I haven't read all of the replies but here's my two cents. If i cant purchase a home (which would be my first choice) I think I would invest in a pub. 100k probably couldn't purchase or finance the entire thing, maybe i could have a partner but it's easy work with little overhead. The challenge is location and keeping traffic up. Its easy to open a new bar but to keep that location relevant and your customer's coming back would be difficult. There are a lot of bars out there, what would make your business different or unique?

IF not that, my other option would be to invest it into my education. Another option might be invest in some rental properties on campus, but I literally know NOTHING about real estate.

oh and go on another vacation... somewhere exotic... cuba.

Booby bar. Those places bring in tonnnnns of money. Lotta red tape to go through but very worth it.

I worked in one for 7 years, it would probably take more thank 100k to get started unless you can purchase one for cheap and overhaul it even then its gonna cost alot. Surprisingly there's not that much more red tape than a regular bar / liquor license but its a pain in the ass to deal with all those bitches all the time.

First: Using your own money to bootstrap a business isn't how to do it. If you really do have a good idea that you can show will be profitable, there is plenty of money out there chasing good ideas. Example: A business plan that I wrote in a weekend got a 100k start-up guarantee with up to 1M in continuous funding (with stipulations) from a single investor. Though I decided not to go that direction, the money was there. HealthSpot, a Dublin based company, turns away investors if they don't have enough clout to simultaneously build the brand. Columbus is such a strong city for start-up incubation and financing. One of my companies is located at Inc8000 in New Albany which provides office space and collaboration, subsidized by the city to encourage entrepreneurship. TechColumbus, and the DEC in Dublin have similar programs. Once a month OSU hosts a "Wakeup Startup" where aspiring business owners can pitch ideas, get feedback and/or funding.

Second: If you really really want to be an entrepreneur, everything you need to do it is out there and most all of it is free. Meeting the right people is #1, learning what is important and what is not from people who have been down the path is invaluable. When I was in Columbus I met with 10 other business owners for 3 hours a month, we held each other accountable to our goals, made introductions to other helpful people and got feedback on strategy and ideas. One thing that you will experience is that nobody you know (or are married to) will understand your vision. They will complain about the initial dip (being broke and working non-stop) and encourage you to find a mediocre job with benefits. Being surrounded by other people who are making it happen every single day is the single most important factor in getting through your dip.

Here is Seth Godin's Start Up School Podcast: Link (it's on iTunes too)