do you cook your steak fast or slow

russian rocket

There was a 'how to be man and cook a steak right' post thingy one time a short while back. Pretty much how that was done since I like my steaks rare to med-rare. (5min approx on each side, then minimum 5min covered on plate.) And if you're putting sauce on your damn steak, either you don't know how to cook one or you're buying shitty ones. You want sauce, just buy a damn hamburger. ;-)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like low and slow for my steak.

Searing actually lets out more of the juices. http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/to-sear-or-not-to-sear/24511.html

Searing is more for flavor and texture.

A heavy coating of salt with some high temps creating that crunchy crust on a steak or a burger.... OH MY GOD

Depends on the cut! Grilled a few sirloins last night. I did them over the high temp searing burner. 4 minutes per side, and because they were pretty thick, another 4 minutes per side on lower heat.

pull from fridge

Grill mates seasoning

warm up to room temp

Low heat

medium rare

While were on the subject of cooking, i usually grill my chicken as well, but decided to try baking it the other day. Holy shit was it good. slightly time consuming but damn was it good.

pull from fridge

Grill mates seasoning

warm up to room temp

Low heat

medium rare

While were on the subject of cooking, i usually grill my chicken as well, but decided to try baking it the other day. Holy shit was it good. slightly time consuming but damn was it good.

Bake it then grill it. It will be so good you will shit yourself

I pull the meat out of the fridge and tell it a camp fire story and show it a picture of a flame. Let it rest for 5 mins and enjoy. Cutting against the grain.

or I boil a steak in milk over hard with a side of jelly beans.

But seriously.

Room temp seasoned early.

Hot side of grill for 1 min (direct heat)

rotate for 1 min (direct heat)

flip

1min (direct heat)

rotate 1 min (direct heat)

flip to medium side of grill (indirect heat)

3-4 mins

flip on med side of grill (indirect heat)

3-4 till done

How I like my steaks:

Med-rare

salt and pepper only

How it should be prepared to achieve prime results:

put seasonings on and refrigerate, no less than 1 1/2 inch thick cuts

How it should be cooked to achieve prime results:

high heat for a few minutes (I go by smell, not so much by time) don't open the grill cover, don't poke that bitch.

flip it and do the same thing. I think I usually end up around 5 minutes per side.

then, the most important thing; DON'T CUT IT TO CHECK DONENESS, JUST LET THAT MOTHERFUCKER REST FOR 5 MINUTES WHILE THE JUICES CONTINUE TO COOK THE MEAT.

edit: if for some reason forced to cook with crappy steaks, Montreal Steak Seasoning is aces

Marinate for at least an hour depending on how I do it.

Preheat Propane grill to med-high heat.

Side one goes 5-7 minutes. Flip and pour any remaining marinade.

Side two for five minutes.

Flip again and cook off marinade for minute.

Place on counter for a few to rest.

There was a 'how to be man and cook a steak right' post thingy one time a short while back. Pretty much how that was done since I like my steaks rare to med-rare. (5min approx on each side, then minimum 5min covered on plate.) And if you're putting sauce on your damn steak, either you don't know how to cook one or you're buying shitty ones. You want sauce, just buy a damn hamburger. ;-)

http://loljam.com/post/10769/

Lol I feel like I haven't posted in forever. But I have to drop in my 2 cents here. I just took a 16oz porterhouse, 2- 9 oz tenderloins, and 2- 12oz ribeyes off the grill. Crank that bitch up. The hotter the better, atleast 450-500 degrees. Quick 2 min sear, turn steaks clockwise a quarter turn. 2-3 mins later, flip. 2 min later quarter turn, 2 mins later serve directly to the plate, medium to medium rare depending on thickness of your cut. Obviously tenderloin will come out medium rare at a 6-9 min cook time. 1 1/4 tsp kosher/sea salt, 3/4 tsp garlic powder, 3/4 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp coarse grind pepper. ( perfect seasoning combo for a 16 oz porterhouse )

Oh yea rookies... STEAK IS SERVED FRESH OFF GRILL No foil, no sit it on the counter. COOK IT, SERVE IT. If your timing while cooking sucks so bad that you have to let your steak sit before the rest of the food is done. Then you put the steaks on too early.....
  • Downvote 1

Oh yea rookies... STEAK IS SERVED FRESH OFF GRILL No foil, no sit it on the counter. COOK IT, SERVE IT. If your timing while cooking sucks so bad that you have to let your steak sit before the rest of the food is done. Then you put the steaks on too early.....

I really think you are wrong here. Everyone says let is rest, it will actually cook the final 5-10 degrees under a foil tent.

When it rests, that first cut into it does not bloody up the plate.

True Story (~20% of the way down)

:thumbup:

Try it ;)

KillJoy

Most steak places sear it in a pan and then bake the steak. Yes, tastes great but I won't do it at home....

I Sear them on my grill, typically a minute a side (depends on the meat) and then slide them into the Holland grill for 8-10 minutes a side. Of course I use my own seasoning, rub, oil, etc...but depends what you like.

Then cover them and let site for a bit.... ;)

That is incorrect but if that's how you want your steak, more power to ya.

Does that mean you also eat them well done (dry and no juice or flavor left either)... :p

Most steak places sear it in a pan and then bake the steak. Yes, tastes great but I won't do it at home....

I Sear them on my grill, typically a minute a side (depends on the meat) and then slide them into the Holland grill for 8-10 minutes a side. Of course I use my own seasoning, rub, oil, etc...but depends what you like.

Then cover them and let site for a bit.... ;)

That is incorrect but if that's how you want your steak, more power to ya.

Does that mean you also eat them well done (dry and no juice or flavor left either)... :p

They broil the steak, not bake it

Depends on how thick the steak is. I prefer high heat and fast for most but, on excessively thick steaks i drop the temp and slow things down a bit to avoid a burnt steak thats barely warm inside. I also NEVER cook steaks with the top down, it always seems to dry them out, not sure why.