Shaftie with tire rubbing swing arm.

2wheels>4

My Yamaha shaft driven bike is rubbing the tire on the swing arm!! I just noticed this yesterday and I can't imagine it has been going on long. I have put 1500+ mi on this thing since buying it two months ago, and I hope I would have noticed the tire rubbing before now.... LOL

The tire is now worn to the point that the side wall is rubbing. (that's how I noticed the damage, I saw the ring on my side wall and thought, "no fucking way I was getting THAT low and sideways"...) It appears to have eaten off the side of the tread first, then made contact with the sidewall. Sorry, I forgot to snap a pic before I left Dublin last night and I spent the night here in Obetz. Heading back soon to wrench on it and I will post some then.

So, here is my quandary... Assuming that the bike wasn't purchased this way, wasn't wrecked, and the rear tire has not been off the bike since I bought it, how the hell does this happen to a shaft driven bike??? My first two thoughts are damaged (bent) swing arm from a wreck or missing shims from the hub/spindle assembly. However, I think I can rule those out... WTF?

Edited by 2wheels>4
add diagrams

damnit... I edited it to add pics, but it posted a new thread for some reason.

I believe it is stock tire size, i planned to double check, but like I said I don't think it could have been rubbing this whole time, perhaps, but unlikely. It definitely just started with the sidewalls... scary fucking shit considering how I typically ride. Side wall lets go when I'm laid into it and that might just hurt a bit.

Picture2.png

Picture1.png

Make sure the last time the tire was mounted that all spacers were installed correctly.

I have all shaft driven bikes and the only reasons that the tire would rub is wrong size tire or assembles incorrectly.

That was what my girlfriend suggested (I'm not making fun, she is a mechanic and a rider) and I am taking the assembly apart as soon as I get back to Dublin in an hour or so to check. That would mean it has been rubbing this whole time though and I don't like that for a number of reasons, not the least of which being that I didn't notice earlier!! Fail.

Pics of said problem and resulting damage. I noted that all spacers are present and accounted for, bearings seem fine and the splines have no appreciable wear at all. Everything is well greased and clean enough. However, I believe the axle shaft may have pulled loose from the pinch bolt when I was riding her hard the other day and I may be able to just reassemble and re-torque the bolts and get everything aligned back. Of course, I should definitely get myself a new rear tire before I act the fool anymore...

GEDC0563.jpg

GEDC0565.jpg

GEDC0577.jpg

GEDC0578.jpg

So the pinch bolt was loose and axle was free to move about. Your swing arm would then twist on hard acceleration making the tire rub. me thinks. brad

Pretty much. I ride very hard pretty much all the time and I think the pinch bolt might have been a bit loose. It pulled the axle through until it was flush with the pinch.... Now that I have it reassembled, the axle protrudes a good inch and the tire has plenty of clearance. All better, bolts tighter, added a very heavy cotter pin through the hole in the end of the axle in case it tries to walk on me again... (since I won't stop riding it like a sport bike... )

Pretty much. I ride very hard pretty much all the time and I think the pinch bolt might have been a bit loose. It pulled the axle through until it was flush with the pinch.... Now that I have it reassembled' date=' the axle protrudes a good inch and the tire has plenty of clearance. All better, bolts tighter, added a very heavy cotter pin through the hole in the end of the axle in case it tries to walk on me again... (since I won't stop riding it like a sport bike... )[/quote']

:trophy:

pics of my new "anti-walk" pin for the axle... It should keep it from walking much when I flog that bitch into the twisties.

GEDC0582.jpg

And now I have some clearance... :)

GEDC0584.jpg

Going for test ride (yes, I connected the brakes now) and will post again if I survive... LOL Now, lets see if I can shear off that pin...

Edit: I beat her for about 50 miles and it didn't budge a bit. Still got clearance, now I just need a new tire! Grrr... Pony is gonna rape my asshole.

Edited by 2wheels>4
test ride

Cool, and that's about the most common solution to a back end problem. Stuff moves around from the torque. I've had the axle on chain bikes move forward, even with axle nut torque correct. Sometimes they have to be a bit tighter. You might look close at the two mating surfaces, at the pinch bolt, the next time it's apart. Make sure the two surfaces are in complete contact, and not greased up or anything. Your "shear pin" should work ok. If there is any room at all, maybe a shim washer to fit under it.