College Football Thread v4.0

bicranium

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^It's a combination of both. Braxton's best looking pass is the deep bomb, same situation Pryor had. He needs another year of developing as a QB before he's taken seriously. He's one hell of an athlete, that's not disputable, but to say he's a great qb is. I will say this, from last year to this year he has improved, would be nice to see how much more he can improve with another year of off season practice.

^^It's a combination of both. Braxton's best looking pass is the deep bomb, same situation Pryor had. He needs another year of developing as a QB before he's taken seriously. He's one hell of an athlete, that's not disputable, but to say he's a great qb is. I will say this, from last year to this year he has improved, would be nice to see how much more he can improve with another year of off season practice.

This.

When you run like we can, your best throw SHOULD be the deep ball. We have a perfect setup, except our receivers are garbage. Brax is not an amazing qb, I'm not arguing that he is. After watching this team play for a season, we have a lot of playmakers, none of them at the WR position.

When you run like we can, your best throw SHOULD be the deep ball. We have a perfect setup, except our receivers are garbage. Brax is not an amazing qb, I'm not arguing that he is. After watching this team play for a season, we have a lot of playmakers, none of them at the WR position.

Agreed. Philly and D. Smith both have 655 yds putting them at 121 in the nation. Cool thing is, Braxton IS able to spread the ball around, especially when he has to scramble. Mulitple WRs/TEs with yardage (albeit not great yardage) and TDs, no single star to double team.

When the Vikings play, AP is targeted. Detroit? Calvin. Cincy? AJ Green. Browns? Gordon. Saints? Graham. Seahawks? Lynch. Broncos? Moreno, Thomas, Thomas (yes, there are two), Decker, Welker...

I like having multiple targets, but I agree, it'd be beneficial to have BETTER mulriple targets.

I don't think we'll be able to run the ball next year like we were able to this year. You have to keep in mind we had arguably the best offensive line in the entire nation this year. 4 of those guys are leaving, as well as our 1,000 yard, 230lb running back. Braxtons role next year in my opinion will be much like his first 2 years, but hopefully he throws the ball more and doesn't end up injured. I don't think we have a guy to fall back on next year like we did this year with Guiton.

We'll find out in a little over 8 months just what we are working with next year. Until then, we speculate haha

Can't get your hands on the ball when their 10' above your head. he's improved alittle , he's not a passer.

And if you can't lose your defender in one on one coverage, you will be getting passes that you HAVE to make a play on, as in, jump balls or back shoulder fades. We can go back and forth all day, but I am going to finish on the side of Brax not being the main problem in the passing game. Whatevs.

I'm also going to go on record and say that Zeke Elliot is our next every down back. He seems to be the favorite amongst the coaches, and the one with the most upside. We will have, arguably, a FASTER backfield next year. However, as has been pointed out, we are going to need our o-line guys to become studs in a hurry. I was encouraged by what I saw from Elflein (sp?)...

Elflein played pretty well when he was in there, however you could see a drop off with the line play when he and Boren went in for the starters. However, just like I said with Braxton, it'll be a good thing for them to have another year of off season training. Elliott does seem like the favorite to be the starting running back next year.

Braxton improved a lot this year. How quickly people forget how he was slinging it around for most of October before OSU had to go run heavy due to weather (cold + wind) then, IMO, were rusty as far as the passing game was concerned when they got into a controlled environment in Indy.

Anyway, moving past that... I had a really long post typed up last night around 5AM about the OL and ended up not posting it for some reason...lol.

The gist of it was this...

Likely starters...

OT Taylor Decker (Jr.)

OG Pat Elflein (RS So.)

OC Jacoby Boren (Jr.)

Possible starters...

OT Darryl Baldwin (RS Sr.)

OT/OG Evan Lisle (RS Fr.)

OT/OG Chase Farris (RS Jr.)

OG Billy Price (RS Fr.)

No one knows...

OT Kyle Dodson (RS So.)

OT/OG Tommy Brown (RS Jr.)

OG Antonio Underwood (RS Jr.)

Incoming freshmen...

OT Kyle Trout

OT Jamarco Jones

OG Demetrious Knox

OG Marcelys Jones

Trout and M. Jones will be enrolling early so I guess there's a very, very, very slim chance one of them could win a starting job but I highly doubt it.

I could see a couple in the "who knows" category transferring. Haven't really heard much of anything on any of those three except I believe most people say Brown is pretty much useless.

This is why keeping Warinner or at the very least finding a solid replacement will be absolutely crucial. They need to find at least 2 starters (I don't think Boren is a lock to start) out of a group that includes 3 guys who were actually recruited primarily as defensive linemen (Baldwin, Farris and Price) and a bunch more who haven't done anything of note in 2, 3 or even 4 years on campus.

Looks like Withers is indeed going to be James Madison's new head coach. Good riddance.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/james-madison-hires-ohio-state-000351746--ncaaf.html

Agreed.........Our Backfield needs major help. Clemson scares me in the passing game.

And I agree Miller wasn't the only issue in the Passing game, but he is the field general he didn't get it done, And that was shown in the play calling in that lack of confidence in passing. Blame it on weather, the sun, grubs in the grass etc. But when you see other QB's who are freshman and sophmores tearing it up and compare to Miller......he's got a lot of work to do. He's a helluva athlete no doubt, not a Passing QB.

I love me some Mike Leach but dude needs to learn how to win a game like that. He didn't fumble the ball but his unwillingness to take the air out of the ball up as much as they were must have been excruciating for Wazzu fans to watch.

And possibly good news here...

FootballScoop Staff ‏@footballscoop 1h

Sources telling us that Jeff Monken will accept the Army head job

If true I can't see OSU losing Warinner elsewhere. Army was worrisome because of his history there.

Raekwon McMillan celebrating the news...

There are going to be a bunch of openings in NFL, I'd think. (Like every year, I guess.) however I think the pressure to win at the NFL would be infinitely higher than at PSU, at least in the foreseeable future.

He negotiated with Penn State to lower his buyout clause and they did it haha. The chances of him to go to the NFL is looking greater by the day. Also I watched that game and it was crazy, the worst 1:45 I have seen of football in a while haha.

Urban spoke about possibly making a change in the secondary for the bowl game and rumors started popping up a couple days ago as to what those changes may be but nevada is saying it is confirmed... Tyvis Powell is replacing Pitt Brown and Vonn Bell is taking Powell's spot at the star. I wish they would have figured this out in the first bye week of the season (said as much in whichever version of this thread we were on) but they didn't so whatever. Can't wait to see Bell out there for a full game.

He negotiated with Penn State to lower his buyout clause and they did it haha. The chances of him to go to the NFL is looking greater by the day. Also I watched that game and it was crazy, the worst 1:45 I have seen of football in a while haha.

Oh didn't know about the lowered buy out clause. Ha yeah that's not a good sign for Penn State.

Urban spoke about possibly making a change in the secondary for the bowl game and rumors started popping up a couple days ago as to what those changes may be but nevada is saying it is confirmed... Tyvis Powell is replacing Pitt Brown and Vonn Bell is taking Powell's spot at the star. I wish they would have figured this out in the first bye week of the season (said as much in whichever version of this thread we were on) but they didn't so whatever. Can't wait to see Bell out there for a full game.

Fuckyeah.org

Way too early top 25 for 2014 lol

http://nationalchamps.net/2014/earlybird/index.htm

OSU 8th, Michigan State 6th

"According to Adam Schefter, a representative of Bill O'Brien recently reached out to Penn State in an effort to lower his buyout for leaving for an NFL team. Schefter notes that last summer O'Brien's contract was reworked from from a $19.33 million buyout down to $6.48 million for this year."