How much do you tip?

russian rocket

I highly doubt you paid $87 for a Gold battery a year ago. None I can think off off hand for $100 or less. Maybe a 51 or 51r for $100-ish

Feel free to call whoever you know and have them pull the transaction details from their system.

Edited by TTQ B4U

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Autozone on Sawmill, store #4527, Duralast Gold Battery for my MS3, last March. Guy installed it in the parking lot in like 5 minutes so that I could get my core charge of $12 back. $87 plus tax. When I asked what I owed him, he refused and said, "dude it took like 5 minutes" Three year free replacement warranty. I see no reason to pay $135-200 for such a thing from a dealer.

By last March, I assumed you meant this past March. Not two March's ago. In that case $87 would make sense.

BTW it is a 5 year warranty with a 3 year replacement if you bought it then. No need to call anyone, could punch it in myself with the info you've left on CR on your FS threads...

If you've never read the book 'Freakonomics', this discussion is basically the gist of the book. The author discusses how people will gladly overpay for certain items from one place and scoff at the idea of paying even a FRACTION of the cost from a different source, for the SAME product (think movie theater popcorn, or baseball park beer, vs going to a grocery store). There is also a discussion about a man who had a business delivering bagels which were paid for by the honor system, and the biggest perpetrators of non-payment were executives with an inflated sense of entitlement. They could AFFORD to pay more, but for whatever reason felt that they didn't have to, leaving the cost of the bagels to be paid for by the people in the office making less money.

speaking of this, I was on a business trip with my senior director and he made me pay and expense his hotel room where without my knowledge he decided to charge beer to my room and when I told him to pay me back, he made me go to the people he purchased the beer for to get my money back. the moral of the story, you are right, wealthy people feel they are entitled to free shit and thus explaining how they became wealthy...

By last March, I assumed you meant this past March.

if that were the case I would have said this past March...but I didn't, I said last March aka 2012.

Unless you think 2004 is recent, its been that way for years. So you actually charge more for your battery installed plus tip than a shop charges for a battery installed with no tip.

Because it needed quoted.

BTW it is a 5 year warranty with a 3 year replacement if you bought it then.
Like I said a three year free replacement warranty. The last two years are pro-rated, just as they have been for years. Don't like my wording, then feel free to compare it to their website or the brochure I'll gladly scan that shows such under Features and Benefits; 3-Year free replacement warranty

if that were the case I would have said this past March...but I didn't, I said last March aka 2012.

Like I said a three year free replacement warranty. The last two years are pro-rated, just as they have been for years. Don't like my wording, then feel free to compare it to their website or the brochure I'll gladly scan that shows such under Features and Benefits; 3-Year free replacement warranty

Tim, I work for autozone. The battery has a 5 year free replacement warranty and a 3 year prorating period... If yours isn't then somehow you got screwed. At the time you bought it, they were 8 year batterys, 5 free, 3 prorated, now they are 5, being 3/2.

Tim, I work for autozone.

I know, that's why I posted it.

The battery has a 5 year free replacement warranty and a 3 year prorating period... If yours isn't then somehow you got screwed. At the time you bought it, they were 8 year batterys, 5 free, 3 prorated, now they are 5, being 3/2.
My paperwork shows Warranty consists of 3 years free replacement plus 2 years prorated.

If it was 8 at the time and I go screwed then so be it. It's just a battery and if it dies in 3-5yrs, I'm not likely going to claim it under warranty anyway. Would likely just get a new one and be done with it. It only died early as for the last couple years I didn't put a tender on it and it sat more than it drove.

Back OT, if you go around feeling entitled to a tip simply for putting it in someone's car, then that's on you. I think someone already pointed out that it's called a Gratuity for a reason. I'm sure many will provide one and I offered, but the guy was pretty stand-up and declined. Sounds like he obeyed the rules and appreciated the offer more than the money itself.

This thread delivers (pun intended).

I usually just round up a few bucks. If it's $21, I'll do $25. If it's $24, I'll give $3-$5 totally depending on speed and how friendly the people are. No, I'm not expecting a smiley blow job from my delivery guy, but if you're a prick I'll hold a $1 or 2 back. If you seem like a good person, $3-5 is no problem.

In the grand scheme of things, it's their job, but they still provide a service and should be tipped. How much is determined by how I am greeted at the door.

Out of probably 100 pizza's ordered, I've only had 5-7 delivered. I am usually too cheap to pay for delivery, so I just go get it.

Wouldn't the last March we had have been March 2013. Just like if you were to say, "last week", that would refer to the week before this one, not 2 weeks ago.

Just a thought on this derailed thread.

Wouldn't the last March we had have been March 2013. Just like if you were to say, "last week", that would refer to the week before this one, not 2 weeks ago.

Just a thought on this derailed thread.

Don't make me call the old lady across the street from you.....

I usually never get delivery for pizza because I live so close but if I do it is $2. I live 4 minutes away you don't deserve a full tank of gas. If it is a holiday or bad weather I will tip $5. Eating out 20% plus $1 for every alcoholic drink. Haircut $2. I don't tip anything else. If I get any food for pickup no tip either. That part makes no sense to me. All you did was answer the phone, tell the cook what to make, and put it in a bag.

To the people like evan that want more money for delivery you need to man up and deal with it. Do you want a part time job with off hours with better tips? Become a bartender. You will have lots more chances for more than $2. If you have breasts you will probably make more money than most people with a normal 9-5 job. Ask any hot bartender. My GF used to be a bartender full time and would come home with $2000 on a slow night in tips. No one other than yourself is forcing you to deliver pizza.

When I went to Holland and tried to tip as I did in the states the waiters though I left money behind. I would leave 3-4 euros on the table and they would either tell me before I left or chase me outside and give me my money back. They didn't want my tip and said it was not necessary. I was drunk and high after leaving one place and asked the guy how much money does he make that he doesn't need tips. He made around $10 an hour with the currency exchange rate. I told him people in the states get upset when you barely tip or don't tip at all. He said that is because Americans feel entitled for things they don't deserve. God I love Amsterdam everyone is in a great mood and straight to the point. Also there was not one fat person anywhere. Seriously I tried to find one for 2 weeks and none existed. First airport I arrived in back in the USA I see a 350 lb woman sitting in the terminal with 3 overweight rug rats. Well at least I knew I was at home... :(

• Upvote 1

I told him people in the states get upset when you barely tip or don't tip at all. He said that is because Americans feel entitled for things they don't deserve. God I love Amsterdam everyone is in a great mood and straight to the point. Also there was not one fat person anywhere. Seriously I tried to find one for 2 weeks and none existed. First airport I arrived in back in the USA I see a 350 lb woman sitting in the terminal with 3 overweight rug rats. Well at least I knew I was at home... :(

Best part of the best post in this thread.

just out of curiousity, how much do you guys tip the pizza delivery guy?

i usually tip 5 dollars, but the more i read online about how much i should tip, seems like i am an over tipper lol

I tip my pizza man 5$ or more every time. I've had the driver bring me my pizza in 30 minutes on days were the wait was 1hour + ... Drivers remember you if you tip well.

How much do you guys tip the teller at the bank? I normally tip him/her at least 25% after every transaction. Same goes for the greeters at walmart. If I get a wave and a greeting I'll tip them 20% of what I spend there. If it's only a greeting then i'll tip them only 15%.