How much do you tip?

russian rocket

One more thing. If you tip a good amount online would that be incentive for them to deliver faster, or since it's already locked in, they can take their time?

How is tipping prior to service being received smart? Further goes to incorrectly set expectations for such jobs.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In before UPS, FED Ex, US Mail and NAPA delivery drivers go on strike for not being tipped.

I tip my UPS/USPS person every holiday - I dont think they can accept cash so its usually a good size gift card or something. These are guys who do anything i ask them when deliver things (carry it the garage, hold certain things.. yadda yadda)

Break this down a bit. TIP has replaced the true term here. Gratuity. If I feel as though you are due my gratitude, I give 20%. If you suck, you get 2%.

For pizza, 20% or more. If they deliver to my house (out in the sticks) I give more. If I drove into town for a different pizza, there is no gratitude from me for making the pizza.

In Europe or Asia, its usually 5% and that is alot for them.

Even though I admitted above how cheap I became, I feel that all those you named should be tipped. I even leave a note on the hotel bed with a tip for the room service maids. Tipping even modestly has produced over-the-top service at the places I go, but I think it's at least as important to treat those employees with friendliness and respect. Although I'm sure it seems corny and egotistical, I admit I like being called by name when I sit down at a blackjack table or when I enter a hotel lobby and prefer my car be parked either at the entrance or "first out" and in the line of sight of the valets.

I'm sure others value other things more, and there's nothing wrong with that.

We went on a Cruise a few years ago with folks who are used to Cruises. Day One, Minutes One, they introduced themselves to their room's Statesmen. My friend gave the man a $100 bill. He mentioned that we were with them. I swear to god every single attendant in the area knew us (and them) for the entire week. Everything "seemed" fast when asked (we had no prior cruise experience)... So, I feel that GREATLY improved our service for the Trip. Both of our rooms left a generous tip at the end of the cruise (even though there was a little built in)...

KillJoy

Edited by KillJoy

Hey Tim,

I was hoping I could contact you in regards to some pictures I would like done of myself and my girlfriend as a late Christmas present. I was curious as to how much you would charge. I don't feel like taking pictures is a very hard thing, since you just aim the lens at us, and push a button. I was just hoping that maybe you could just do it for the electricity it takes to charge your camera and batteries, and then use my paper I supply, and I'll just pay for the electric your printer and computer use, but I don't feel like I should have to pay for all the electric you would use for your computer because I know you would be on it anyways, and wouldn't be editing/printing solely my pictures.

I think $4 is a fair price to cover electric and your gas, pus your time to take and edit the pictures, since all you do is aim and push, and the editing is aiming and clicking.

I would really like to do business with you, if you think this is an acceptable offer, please, PM me a date and time as well as a place to meet you.

Thanks

I never tip online, you can write it in at the door. Paying a tip upfront is asking for poor service.

iirc I've never seen a tip line on the receipt from papa john's. Might be because I tipped online or I just didn't notice it.

How is tipping prior to service being received smart? Further goes to incorrectly set expectations for such jobs.

I guess it isn't, but I've been doing it for years and my pizza almost always shows up in about 30min. Also I never noticed but I'm right in the middle between two different papa john's, does that mean I should tip more, assuming I'm at the edge of their turf?

And also, at work I'm "not allowed" to take tips.

I can't tell you how many times I've taken a look at a headlight, or battery that is more work than I am technically allowed to do within X amount of time without getting bitched out, and a customer mentions giving me a few bucks, I'm usually a little more willing. It's an even bigger surprise when I get it on something simple, like one of those Hyundai batteries that have a single hold down like a chevy truck and take a whopping 3 minutes to change out. People appreciate me hustling so they can get on with their day, I appreciate them bringing me an easy car to work on which means I'm out in the cold less, and we both walk away happy. I appreciate anything, even if it is $5.

Christmas Eve I changed 3 batteries for a guy. Both batteries in his Powerstroke, and a battery in his wifes Touareg IIRC. Battery in the VW or w.e. it was, was in the hatch area, and down beneath the spare. The guy handed me $30, even though both were fairly simple, and then brought me 2 pizzas the next time he saw my truck outside work. You can believe I'm going to bend over backwards for this guy the next go around without expecting a tip, and help him quicker and a lot more than the ghetto asshole yacking on their phone while I'm struggling to get their headlight out and they are asking me how long it's going to take.

That said, I think in an environment like that, just being a pleasant person to deal with is a tip in itself. If you are willing to help me help you, then I am more than happy to do so. If you come in and expect me to grab everything you want, ask me how to do it, then ask for 10% off your total, it's not gonna happen.

I was curious as to how much you would charge. I don't feel like taking pictures is a very hard thing, since you just aim the lens at us, and push a button.
I was just hoping that maybe you could just do it for the electricity it takes to charge your camera and batteries, and then use my paper I supply, and I'll just pay for the electric your printer and computer use, but

I don't feel like I should have to pay for all the electric you would use for your computer because I know you would be on it anyways, and wouldn't be editing/printing solely my pictures.

I think $4 is a fair price to cover electric and your gas, pus your time to take and edit the pictures, since all you do is aim and push, and the editing is aiming and clicking.
I charge by the hour based on the event and I factor my hard/soft costs into my hourly. That means I don't have to "hope" someone is going to tip me, I know my business is profitable. What clients think is fair isn't considered when pricing out events. I set my fees not my clients. Great news is I only do corporate events and am typically booked 3 months out. See, I know what type of "jobs" to take and book because fees are commensurate with the type of clients and work. Corporate Gigs > Family Photos. Even better news is my business is 100% referral only and no tipping is required.

In summary, if you're out delivering Pizza's keep realistic expectations and don't expect the average customers to tip you like you're waiting tables at a high end restaurant or working a corporate clientele like a concierge or bell hop at a luxury hotel. Want those gratuity levels, submit your application inside. Or deliver to CR Members where everyone fucks supermodels, drives exotics, tip HUGE and never bitch about money.

Edited by TTQ B4U

:lol:

So....

1) You are breaking company policy by taking money from people..

2) Your "job" is installing a battery, light bulb, or wiper blades for "free" so you only do this is they offer you money that your not allowed to take?

3) Who cares what elements you are working inn again its your JOB.

Wow some of you crack me up. Think you deserve a tip for doing a job your paid to do. If that's the case every person that flys out of the Columbus airport owes me 20% of their ticket price for doing my job.

And also, at work I'm "not allowed" to take tips.

I can't tell you how many times I've taken a look at a headlight, or battery that is more work than I am technically allowed to do within X amount of time without getting bitched out, and a customer mentions giving me a few bucks, I'm usually a little more willing. It's an even bigger surprise when I get it on something simple, like one of those Hyundai batteries that have a single hold down like a chevy truck and take a whopping 3 minutes to change out. People appreciate me hustling so they can get on with their day, I appreciate them bringing me an easy car to work on which means I'm out in the cold less, and both walk away happy. I appreciate anything, even if it is $5.

Christmas Eve I changed 3 batteries for a guy. Both batteries in his Powerstroke, and a battery in his wifes Touareg IIRC. Battery in the VW or w.e. it was, was in the hatch area, and down beneath the spare. The guy handed me $30, even though both were fairly simple, and then brought me 2 pizzas the next time he saw my truck outside work. You can believe I'm going to bend over backwards for this guy the next go around without expecting a tip, and help him quicker and a lot more than the ghetto asshole yacking on their phone while I'm struggling to get their headlight out and they are asking me how long it's going to take.

That said, I think in an environment like that, just being a pleasant person to deal with is a tip in itself. If you are willing to help me help you, then I am more than happy to do so. If you come in and expect me to grab everything you want, ask me how to do it, then ask for 10% off your total, it's not gonna happen.

:lol:

So....

1) You are breaking company policy by taking money from people..

2) Your "job" is installing a battery, light bulb, or wiper blades for "free" so you only do this is they offer you money that your not allowed to take?

3) Who cares what elements you are working inn again its your JOB.

Wow some of you crack me up. Think you deserve a tip for doing a job your paid to do. If that's the case every person that flys out of the Columbus airport owes me 20% of their ticket price for doing my job.

1. Yes

2. No, but if the bulb is one we normally aren't technically allowed to do, I'll do it. I'll get shit if I install it, so why not install it and take cash if they give it to me? If you or anyone else had to deal with some of the dumbfucks I do I'm sure the extra $5 for a Big Mac meal at the end of the day would be nice to you as well.

3. It's my "JOB" to put shit on if I deem I'm able to. I've been told time and time again that if it is pouring rain, don't go out until it slows down, etc. 95% of the time unless you are an arrogant prick who seems like you are in a big hurry to get shit done for free you can easily do yourself, then you can stand inside or wait, or go out and get soaked trying to figure out something it takes me a minute to do.

I've worked outside for 2 years prior to this job in basically any weather conditions we face in Ohio. Again, another jobbed that I wasn't considered a "tipped' employee. Did I take tips? Yes. Was I pissed when I had to do something that was really outside the limits of my capability with the tools at hand? Sometimes, other times I just got over it.

I'm certain if you slung parts for a month, even at your current rate of pay, you would take the $5 tips when you saw them, and be just as pissed/frustrated/whatever when 90% of the people who walk in the door and don't know anything about their car aside from what color it is. If we want to do the "20% of every customers ticket" shit, I could just as easily say I want 20% of every transaction I do, as well as 20% of the grand total I saved the customer by changing their battery for them, instead of letting them take their POS to the shop where they can pay $200 to have a battery installed and have it take tenfold longer. Maybe that clears the air as to why I have come to accept tips against my companys policy of "no tip taking." (Which originated from employee's who don't know jack shit about cars not getting squat when it took them an hour and a half to replace a battery that shouldn't take an average joe but 20 minutes.)

So in comparison, $5 to me for doing a better, faster job than the lube monkey's at the dealer, Firestone, Midas, etc. to do a battery for $200 or so and half ass it, is a bargain in my eyes.

You mad bro? You seem mad..

1. Yes

2. No, but if the bulb is one we normally aren't technically allowed to do, I'll do it. I'll get shit if I install it, so why not install it and take cash if they give it to me? If you or anyone else had to deal with some of the dumbfucks I do I'm sure the extra $5 for a Big Mac meal at the end of the day would be nice to you as well.

3. It's my "JOB" to put shit on if I deem I'm able to. I've been told time and time again that if it is pouring rain, don't go out until it slows down, etc. 95% of the time unless you are an arrogant prick who seems like you are in a big hurry to get shit done for free you can easily do yourself, then you can stand inside or wait, or go out and get soaked trying to figure out something it takes me a minute to do.

I've worked outside for 2 years prior to this job in basically any weather conditions we face in Ohio. Again, another jobbed that I wasn't considered a "tipped' employee. Did I take tips? Yes. Was I pissed when I had to do something that was really outside the limits of my capability with the tools at hand? Sometimes, other times I just got over it.

I'm certain if you slung parts for a month, even at your current rate of pay, you would take the $5 tips when you saw them, and be just as pissed/frustrated/whatever when 90% of the people who walk in the door and don't know anything about their car aside from what color it is. If we want to do the "20% of every customers ticket" shit, I could just as easily say I want 20% of every transaction I do, as well as 20% of the grand total I saved the customer by changing their battery for them, instead of letting them take their POS to the shop where they can pay $200 to have a battery installed and have it take tenfold longer. Maybe that clears the air as to why I have come to accept tips against my companys policy of "no tip taking." (Which originated from employee's who don't know jack shit about cars not getting squat when it took them an hour and a half to replace a battery that shouldn't take an average joe but 20 minutes.)

So in comparison, $5 to me for doing a better, faster job than the lube monkey's at the dealer, Firestone, Midas, etc. to do a battery for $200 or so and half ass it, is a bargain in my eyes.

You mad bro? You seem mad..

I would say no, but I guess I'm mad that someone who can't see that $135 for a battery and $5 extra to me is a deal compared to $200 for a dipshit to install it and be out of a car for a day makes more money than me somehow.

I would say no, but I guess I'm mad that someone who can't see that $135 for a battery and $5 extra to me is a deal compared to $200 for a dipshit to install it and be out of a car for a day makes more money than me somehow.

I've worked at multiple shops and there is never labor to install a battery. Even at the dealership we didnt charge. So you may think its 200$, but for an INTERSTATE battery (better than any napa, az, advanced battery) it was 89.99 installed by ASE certified mechanics.

That's a pretty strong sense of entitlement.

I've worked at multiple shops and there is never labor to install a battery. Even at the dealership we didnt charge. So you may think its 200$, but for an INTERSTATE battery (better than any napa, az, advanced battery) it was 89.99 installed by ASE certified mechanics.

Things must have just changed recently then...

That's a pretty strong sense of entitlement.

And saying that someone who brings you your food so you don't have to get off the couch gets a $1 tip isn't?

Things must have just changed recently then...

And saying that someone who brings you your food so you don't have to get off the couch gets a $1 tip isn't?

Unless you think 2004 is recent, its been that way for years. So you actually charge more for your battery installed plus tip than a shop charges for a battery installed with no tip.

And not ALL people order pizza so they can *sit on the couch*

Not considering it's an optional service offered that I can choose pay for vs walking around like the world owe you a tip just because. The savings that client is realizing....it's HIS money, not yours. Edited by TTQ B4U

Unless you think 2004 is recent, its been that way for years. So you actually charge more for your battery installed plus tip than a shop charges for a battery installed with no tip.

And not ALL people order pizza so they can *sit on the couch*

If you can find a new battery anywhere for $89.99 installed, with anything outside a 30-90 day warranty, from a local store, in stock, I'd be amazed.

Is it like that for pizza delivery? When you order online you can add a tip amount.. and I always do. If cash is easier I'll just do that.

Pretty much anywhere eathier the business owner takes part of it or if its on a paycheck its taxed by uncle same, earthier which way your not getting the tip that some one payed for. If you have the means pay in cash hands down.

Edited by Paul

If you've never read the book 'Freakonomics', this discussion is basically the gist of the book. The author discusses how people will gladly overpay for certain items from one place and scoff at the idea of paying even a FRACTION of the cost from a different source, for the SAME product (think movie theater popcorn, or baseball park beer, vs going to a grocery store). There is also a discussion about a man who had a business delivering bagels which were paid for by the honor system, and the biggest perpetrators of non-payment were executives with an inflated sense of entitlement. They could AFFORD to pay more, but for whatever reason felt that they didn't have to, leaving the cost of the bagels to be paid for by the people in the office making less money.

If you can find a new battery anywhere for $89.99 installed, with anything outside a 30-90 day warranty, from a local store, in stock, I'd be amazed.

Autozone on Sawmill, store #4527, Duralast Gold Battery for my MS3, last March. Guy installed it in the parking lot in like 5 minutes so that I could get my core charge of $12 back. $87 plus tax. When I asked what I owed him, he refused and said, "dude it took like 5 minutes" Three year free replacement warranty. I see no reason to pay $135-200 for such a thing from a dealer.

Autozone on Sawmill, store #4527, Duralast Gold Battery for my MS3, last March. Guy installed it in the parking lot in like 5 minutes so that I could get my core charge of $12 back. $87 plus tax. When I asked what I owed him, he refused and said, "dude it took like 5 minutes" Three year free replacement warranty.

I highly doubt you paid $87 for a Gold battery a year ago. None I can think off off hand for $100 or less. Maybe a 51 or 51r for $100-ish