What do you guys think of the new STI?

BigOxley

I don't know if they've had the actual announcement yet but they have released a press release for the "New" STi. They basically took the safest option for the new STi which is the old STi power & drivetrain to a new better chassis and better interior quality and tech. While the looks are subjective, the STi package makes the new body look much better. While not as big a step as many would have liked, i believe that the new STi is a step forward.

Cliff notes to the press release. It will have the same EJ257 will continue to power it(same output as well), and the same transmission. Along with the new chassis it will have a retuned springs and steering. The DCCD is now called Multi-Mode DCCD, but performs the same function. The only change is it will have the WRX's Active Torque Vectoring which brakes the inside wheel to send power to the outside wheel to help with turn in :fuuuu: The interior is the same as the WRX with Unique STi badging. Tech includes their multi-information display that will include VDC realtime operation and boost gauge. Power seats are now an option as well as a better stereo.

FAIL FAIL FAIL

all i'm hearing is a heavy uncomfortable turbo impreza sedan with a stupid wing and engine tech from 2004. i need a drink...

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched the live stream of the reveal, the most I took away from it is that Pastrana has rejoined SRT USA. Are they seriously only making 1000 WRB/Gold Wheel ones? Have they lost it?

http://www.subaru.com/content/subaru/en/motorsports/articles/travis-pastrana-rejoinssubarurallyteamusa.html

1545760_619903294713981_522046949_n.jpg

FAIL FAIL FAIL

all i'm hearing is a heavy uncomfortable turbo impreza sedan with a stupid wing and engine tech from 2004. i need a drink...

Until aluminium or carbon fiber gets cheaper to put in mass produced cars i don't see any car losing a significant amount of weight. The new F150's body had go aluminium to shed its 700 lbs. Also safety standards are just getting higher and higher, and so is weight.

As far as the powertrain unless we get a bombshell and some upcoming car show the JDM STi will also retain its EJ207. Which tells me while the new FA motors have potential and work well in the WRX and forester XT it is not ready yet for what they want to do with the STi. If that is that is true we could be in for something fun this cars mid-cycle refresh. Like i said before if the new STi gets the same EJ then it may be just a stop-gap measure on subarus part while it gets the motor ready. Just like when we got the 2010 mustang with a new body and the old 4.6 motor, while they were finishing up the new 5.0.

Until aluminium or carbon fiber gets cheaper to put in mass produced cars i don't see any car losing a significant amount of weight. The new F150's body had go aluminium to shed its 700 lbs. Also safety standards are just getting higher and higher, and so is weight.

yes but, they didn't have to make it an impreza. they make the BRZ that weighs 2800lbs.

as for the engine, FA engines in the BRZ are getting +400whp without so much of a hiccup. they could've pushed the STI to at least 330.

It's not just the lack of alum/CF. It's adding stupid shit like power seat. Convenient? yes. an enthusiast option? hell no.

yes but, they didn't have to make it an impreza. they make the BRZ that weighs 2800lbs.

as for the engine, FA engines in the BRZ are getting +400whp without so much of a hiccup. they could've pushed the STI to at least 330.

They've already said that the BRZ chassis can't accept the AWD turbo chassis. And even if they could it would have added a decent amount of wight and been just about 3000lbs. I would love a modern day 22B but that is a small market of people that would actually by it and the price they'd have to offer it profitability would be difficult. So using the impreza chassis makes since since they wouldn't have to re-engineer it, and put that money some where else. As long as the chassis is good and handles great(which initial reports see to look like it is) what does it matter.

As far as power i agree that if they didn't have the FA where i needs to be i believe that the aftermarket has shown what can be down with the EJ so it would have been nice for a modest bump. Maybe they didn't want to step on what the next engine update, so they it looks like a much larger improvement. They'd get more praise going from 305hp to 350hp as opposed to 330hp to 350hp.

It's not just the lack of alum/CF. It's adding stupid shit like power seat. Convenient? yes. an enthusiast option? hell no.

Yea but that is an "option" i highly doubt it will be standard equipment. So those that want a well equipped STi with toys will get the Limited and everyone else will get the base that will be lighter. The car isn't overloaded with crap like a luxury cars.

I'm more upset with the brake based torque vectoring. Its a cheap way to at tech that good for regular drivers but not high end performance cars. I've driven cars thats had everything from brake based open diffs to brake base torque vectoring and i've never experienced one that is smooth engagement. They can over heat your brakes if your driving in twisty rights, autox or rally when you get a lot of wheel spin. Thankfully you can turn it off with the traction control. If it was a system likes Acura's SH-AWD that uses a gear to over drive the outside wheel that would be great.

Yeah, I think they have lost me as a customer. Heck, I'm so mad right now I might even get just sell mine when I get some time off at home.

What a disappointment. 300hp 10 years ago was sweet out of a turbo 4. Now it's a joke. Subaru needs to hire someone that gets it with the STi department. If they lose the STi (which it looks like they have) they will lose so much credibility.

I'm more upset with the brake based torque vectoring. Its a cheap way to at tech that good for regular drivers but not high end performance cars. I've driven cars thats had everything from brake based open diffs to brake base torque vectoring and i've never experienced one that is smooth engagement. They can over heat your brakes if your driving in twisty rights, autox or rally when you get a lot of wheel spin.

I totally get what you're saying, I have brake based torque vectoring in my Focus ST. It's bleh.

One on the major problems is the "upgrades" that the STI now has aren't usable on the street. They're beneficial only when tracking the car. I don't know if anyone here follows Subaru of America, but they won't honor the warranty if the car has been tracked.

I'm guessing a Stage 1 or 2 WRX will win out when buyers go shopping.

brake vectoring is fucking stupid at a real track. They fade fast enough as it is.

I think it was R&T or MT that did a "best drivers car" test at Laguna Seca that had a wide range of cars from Focus ST to Bentley Continental GT. Focus ST was completely undrivable after the track day, the torque vectoring had completely destroyed the brakes.

some rumors are swirling amongst the fan-boys that this is the beginning of the end of the STI... or at least the WRX/STI split. maybe one car in the future. :sadbanana:

the torque vectoring had completely destroyed the brakes.

really? that sucks even more for the STI

What a disappointment. 300hp 10 years ago was sweet out of a turbo 4. Now it's a joke. Subaru needs to hire someone that gets it with the STi department. If they lose the STi (which it looks like they have) they will lose so much credibility.

Please tell me the other 4 cylinder cars that are putting out huge HP?

STI 300

EVO 280

S3/Golf R: 296

The only one I can think of is the A45 AMG.

STI 300

EVO 280

GM's 2.0L is 270hp/295lbft

Ford's EcoBoost is 252hp in the Fuckus ST

Easy/reliable to break 300hp with bolt-ons.

GM's 2.0L is 270hp/295lbft

Ford's EcoBoost is 252hp in the Fuckus ST

Easy/reliable to break 300hp with bolt-ons.

Those are not in the same class as the STI. Even so, none of those are even close to the 300hp mark, let alone over, like he suggested the STI should be...

Those are not in the same class as the STI. Even so, none of those are even close to the 300hp mark, let alone over, like he suggested the STI should be...

Good call on being in the same class. GM's 270hp is comparable to the Evo's 280hp, but GM's not fielding a worthy candidate in the U.S. marketplace.

STI 300

EVO 280

How much is it actually putting to the tires though? It seems like "305" horsepower in Subaru-land doesn't really show much of a return, in terms of real world acceleration.

I think the problem with the STi having "only" 305 HP (the same as the base WRX) is that we're accustomed to the STi pushing the boundaries, and now it's not. They had 300hp turbo 4's years before anyone else was offering it (except maybe Mitsu), but they haven't really progressed. Maybe it's because of rally regulations that they want to stay close to, but it's not helping their road car.

STI 300

EVO 280

its been 10 years and nothing has really changed while everything else is blowing past it. Its not breaking any new ground. Fuck it, make a turbo Diesel. It also has so much to do with the tune these cars come with. Its an absolute joke. A stage 1 tune makes this a totally different car and it really doesn't add much HP.

its been 10 years and nothing has really changed while everything else is blowing past it.

I get the concept, but I'll ask the question again.

What cars consist of "everything else."

The only argument that I have found that is a good one, is what they are doing with the WRX. But that has been an issue since 2009...

I think it looks decent.. not great. I agree that it looks too much like every other small foreign sedan out today. I would probably pick an Evo over this, despite big price jump.

I wish US manufacturers would offer something in this segment. I like the "lightweight" manual trans awd sport sedans, and the Germans want way too much for them. Americans make them big, heavy, and automatic only.