Quick question CR

dover

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some quick thoughts on a few of them, with an emphasis on your request for pros/cons:

GTR

Pros: Stupid fast, instant street-racing cred upon purchase, can immediately start calling out everyone from roll or dig, easily modified, can make ridiculous power/numbers/gains, not as expensive as a Gallardo, about as expensive or less so than the 997TT

Cons: More expensive than a C6Z or the CTS-V, it's an automatic (which is a con from the "I'm a real driver and I like to shift shit" audience; auto could be perceived a pro from various other angles), is (at least to me) not as aesthetically pleasing as a 997TT or a Gallardo

Gallardo

Pros: Most exotic of the bunch, most unique, will get the most looks, will get you laid by girls more often (whereas GT-R will get you laid by fanbois more often), arguably the most aesthetically pleasing of the bunch, uber fast, can be made to be light-speed fast and essentially untouchable on the street with the right package (read: see UGR, not CTD)

Cons: Expensive as fuck for just about everything, right? Also, what about those Lambo elitists that will say you bought an entry-level Lambo? Not that I'd care, or most people would care, but there's always that one elitist lurking around, waiting to pounce on whatever insecurity you might have.

997TT

Pros: Aesthetically pleasing (perhaps even better looking than the Gallardo), proven platform, relatively reliable, not as expensive as the Gallardo (or so I would imagine), will get plenty of looks, uniformly well-received by both chicks and car guys, has good mod potential, good resale value

Cons: Expensive because, well, it's a Porsche. Less unique than a Gallardo, maybe even less unique than a GT-R.

Reading John's post above makes me realize:

Most would agree the GTR is the platform to decimate all, but I can't get over how vanilla the styling is. Considering how stunning some of the other Nissan/Infiniti models are (even the new Murano:lolguy:) I hope to see sexier styling in the next evolution of the GTR. I respect that the GTR evolved from the square-ish R-series Nissan Skylines back in the 80s/90s, so at least it remembers where it evolved from.

I'm firmly in the manual transmission crowd, because I can go faster than all of you at 3,500 feet above the racetrack for a lot less. :gabe: For me, the budget choice would be a 556hp supercharged CTS-V with the six-speed and panoramic glass roof. Aftermarket has a good number in the $40k range.

- If you want to win races, get a GTR

- If money's not a concern, get a GTR or Gallardo and throw as much of your leftover budget to aftermarket mods.

- If you want a fast car to enjoy, I'd get the 997TT

- If you want to do the best you can on a "budget" (relatively speaking in this group), get an '09+ CTS-V.

There's a $50k+ used market value difference in those three picks. (WAAAY more if you include the Gallardo) :lol:

I did a lot of homework on Gallardo's when I had a hard-on for them a couple years ago. They're basically and Audi and highly reliable and cheap to maintain in relation to the cost of the car.

Start breaking stuff and putting out 1000hp plus and that rule goes out the window but if you buy one with bolt-ons and can turn a wrench yourself ownership costs won't be that bad. Maybe my perception is skewed cause I do all my own work and don't pay labor costs but this is how I see it.

The expensive part is if you get an e-gear car the computer eats the clutch for you. It's $5-7k job and most e-gear cars need a clutch by the time they get to 30k miles. I think it was '06 cars they started being able to tell via onboard diagnostics how much life was left in the clutch. All the more reason to find an early car with true 6-speed.

my .02 on the Gallardo

I did a lot of homework on Gallardo's when I had a hard-on for them a couple years ago. They're basically and Audi and highly reliable and cheap to maintain in relation to the cost of the car.

Start breaking stuff and putting out 1000hp plus and that rule goes out the window but if you buy one with bolt-ons and can turn a wrench yourself ownership costs won't be that bad. Maybe my perception is skewed cause I do all my own work and don't pay labor costs but this is how I see it.

The expensive part is if you get an e-gear car the computer eats the clutch for you. It's $5-7k job and most e-gear cars need a clutch by the time they get to 30k miles. I think it was '06 cars they started being able to tell via onboard diagnostics how much life was left in the clutch. All the more reason to find an early car with true 6-speed.

my .02 on the Gallardo

^This.

I did lots of reading last year when I was trying to find "my next car".

You can do a check on E-Gear and see the life remaining in percent IIRC.

Even the 6MT's aren't notoriously strong and will need replacing far before most cars would. (I tend to beat the crap out of cars vs just tooling around). Over-all, VERY reliable cars though, and brakes are "cheap" compared to almost any other exotic (Audi Bin Parts).

And, for the money spent (I know this again) they aren't terribly fast compared to other options. One day I'll be over "going fast" and get a nice cruiser, I just don't think that time is now.

Oh CR, now Lamborghini Gallardos are considered "not terribly fast". Tough crowd.

Relatively speaking old man...

For the money spent, a basic bolt on GTR will destroy a Gallardo with ease.

Bolt on's for the Gallardo don't net nearly as much, and the car costs way more to begin with.

Manual Gallardo Spyder. Easier to flip off the haters.

I love the GTR, I love the 997TT, I love the C6Z. But those are cars for people who weigh pros and cons and think about ROI. The Gallardo is a car for the Clarksons of the world who don't believe "delicate" and "right foot" belong in the same sentence.

Buy the Gallardo and let everyone tell you how much faster a GTR would be right before they get into their clapped out 240SX.

Make sure it's bright orange or neon green or something offensively awesome. Get matching color wheels. Wear a shirt that says "What Recession?" on it. Embrace the hate. Be one with it. Feed on it.

Manual Gallardo Spyder. Easier to flip off the haters.

Buy the Gallardo and let everyone tell you how much faster a GTR would be right before they get into their clapped out 240SX.

Make sure it's bright orange or neon green or something offensively awesome. Get matching color wheels. Wear a shirt that says "What Recession?" on it. Embrace the hate. Be one with it. Feed on it.

I'm 100% with this :fuckyeah:

Talking to Chad, he said that his GTR is a much better car than the Gallardo. And would be cheaper to maintain down the road as well. But the Lambo is sexy as hell.

But lets be honest...

"what do you think bitches are gonna do when you throw Porsche keys on the table"

-Mike Dover circa 2010

Realistically a ugr tt gallardo is the machine to have.

Gtr is very meh imo. They can be stupid fast though

C7z has a lot of promise! But c6z is an older gen. I'd steer away unless you plan to build something serious. I would not but a c7 with direct injection if u want something crazy fast.

If you want a ttg, look at one used. They are surprisingly fairly avaliable. They even list some on ugrs site

At those price points I would look for fun factor over technical numbers.. which I think a C6Z or (not on the list) Roush Mustang would fall into play.

2013-2014 GT500? 662hp off the showroom floor..

Did you notice that you are the only one talking about Mustangs in a thread that they clearly don't belong in?

J/K, I really dig the new stangs but don't see them in the same class.