#^(%! Best way to remove this bolt?

Draco-REX

14201011917_a27e75b407_b.jpg

(ignore the finger-selfie)

It's a M6 in size, the allen socket in the head is 5mm.

Installed the Intercooler and went to swap to a smaller pulley and apparently they used thread locker on these. Three came out, but this one stripped. I need to get this bolt out with a minimum of damage to the blower. I could, in theory, stand to lose the pulley that's on there. But I'd rather not, just in case. And I'd really like to do this without messing up the existing threads.

Any recommendations are are appreciated. Tools, a shop, etc. I've thought of grinding the head square and using a wrench, drill and use a bolt-out. Use a small nut remover, etc... I've just had mixed results with these methods in the past and I'm hoping for more experienced advice.

Thanks.

I've had a lot of luck using a torx bit that's either perfect size or just barely too big and lightly hammer it in.

also if you have access to a light impact wrench it'll help due to the rapid light blows. I've got a 3/8 inch SnapOn battery impact that I use at work that's perfect for these jobs.

I would suggest a bolt out first, should slip over the outside vs drilling the center and using the inside extractor.

I wouldn't grind the head square as it wouldn't have enough strength left to withstand a wrench. You could do that, break the head off which would all the pulley to come off and then use a bolt out to remove what is left.

tapping in a torx is a great idea, I've been successful with that before. If that doean't work I would try a twist socket on the out side. If your lucky the head will break off and the threads will no longer have a load on them.

My HVAC guys had a cute (yes, I really just did apply that term to a tool) needle-nose vise-grip that I used in a nearly identical situation two weeks ago. Grab on to the outside of the head and gently turn+pull.

Thanks guys. I'll start with a torx and small raps from my impact. Failing that I'll try using one of those removal sockets. I really really don't want to drill this.

Heat would be nice, but I can't get to the hub where the threads are in order to heat it up; the pulley pretty much covers it and heating up the pulley will just pull the bolt tighter against its threads.

the threadlocker will heat up before the bolt really expands enough. I work with threadlocker alot when removing VAG ECU's and you just need a little heat to get the threadlocker 'deactivated'

Just lightly hover over the bolt for a couple seconds and then go away for a second and do that 5-6 times.....that should be enough to loosen the threadlocker without expanding the bolt too much. Worse that can happen is you wait for the bolt to cool.

Also, with the head still on there, you could take a dremel tool and make a slot for a big, flat head screwdriver.

Which vehicle is this for?

BRZ. According to the tuner, I should be around 300 at the wheels when I'm done. It's not a ton, by CR standards, but this will be the best power/weight ratio car I've ever owned. And by a good margin.

BRZ. According to the tuner, I should be around 300 at the wheels when I'm done. It's not a ton, by CR standards, but this will be the best power/weight ratio car I've ever owned. And by a good margin.

300 wheel in a BRZ should be a blast to drive. I have a blast at 180 wheel in my Miata, so it should similar in power to weight if not better. Sounds like fun.

And I'm glad you didn't have too much trouble taking care of your bolt.:fuckyeah:

My HVAC guys had a cute (yes, I really just did apply that term to a tool) needle-nose vise-grip that I used in a nearly identical situation two weeks ago. Grab on to the outside of the head and gently turn+pull.

I have had luck this this as well and a good option if you do not want to damage the pulley.