College Football Thread v5.0

bicranium

Can't judge the defense too much based on that game but it definitely didn't look promising. OL seemed to figure themselves out a bit by the end but it was flat out bad early. They need to find the right combination of guys. They were shuffling all day. Whoever was in near the end there should get first crack against VT. That option play call inside the 5 was atrocious on one hand but not inexplicable based on how the OL had played thus far.

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thoughts:

Braxton who? Addition by subtraction?

I never base my assessment of a defense on a game against Navy. Their triple option is ultra whacky and almost always gets them a shitload of running yardage. Zero out of zero fucks given on yards allowed stat for this game. Come see me after next week and we'll talk.

I love the athletes we have on the field. Defensive line looks like it has uber potential and I think they could be something special. Who are all these fucking running backs? Who cares - they look fast and athletic.

JT Barrett looks to be leagues better than Braxton was at point in his career. He throws a decent ball. Better than the wounded ducks that were part of Braxton's repertoire his first year or so.

Thoughts:

Braxton who? Addition by subtraction?

I never base my assessment of a defense on a game against Navy. Their triple option is ultra whacky and almost always gets them a shitload of running yardage. Zero out of zero fucks given on yards allowed stat for this game. Come see me after next week and we'll talk.

I love the athletes we have on the field. Defensive line looks like it has uber potential and I think they could be something special. Who are all these fucking running backs? Who cares - they look fast and athletic.

JT Barrett looks to be leagues better than Braxton was at point in his career. He throws a decent ball. Better than the wounded ducks that were part of Braxton's repertoire his first year or so.

I agree with all of this. The thought of Wilson at the beginning of last season gave me a hard on. I think due to our offensive and turning the throttle on Braxton so much was a real limit to Wilson. I was really excited to see what he had this year but was confused with the talks of Marshall competing with Wilson. Now I am sold on both. I think the speed they bring to our offensive is unlike anything we have had in many years. They just need time to develop and learn to break away.

I was worried about losing Braxton and can't argue his ability. After today I'm not so worried. I too think that he is better than Braxton in terms of day 1 of career. I can give up some of the spectacular runs for an advanced passing game. Braxton had strength with his throw but it seemed autistic as well. It is early but I think two years from now we may not miss Braxton at all.

Wish I could have watched the game today but from what I'm reading after the fact and Saw on ESPN app loOKs like we figured out our shot and took control around the third quarter. Hoping for a good year especially considering all the new talent this year

Takeaways from the weekend:

First half was sketchy as hell, but we did better than I expected TBH. Navy, Georgia Tech, etc., are all a clusterfuck to play defense against. Literally every play could be a ten yard loss or a ten yard gain. Second half looked pretty good for our defense. I'm still curious about our secondary though, as they were clearly not tested.

JT looked pretty good IMO. With some time, he'll develop into a great QB under Meyer's system. I agree that we need to open the offensive playbook, but I'll defend the Buckeyes by saying they clearly wanted to keep the game simple for JT's sake. The entire first half was conservative as fuck on offense (even for us), and that's okay!

LOL FSU and LOL BAMA. I thought they were both going to lose. My body was ready.

Next week is going to be rough.

JT looked pretty good IMO. With some time, he'll develop into a great QB under Meyer's system. I agree that we need to open the offensive playbook, but I'll defend the Buckeyes by saying they clearly wanted to keep the game simple for JT's sake. The entire first half was conservative as fuck on offense (even for us), and that's okay!

Totally agree. I definitely understand the need to keep it simple for a new QB, but seeing the same stuff from last year gave me vivid nightmares of our last 2 games. Overall, I think it was a good offensive start to the season, I just don't want to become one dimensional.

Looking forward to this week. It should be another great test to this team. If Navy goes 10-2 or 11-1 and VT finishes decent (8-4, etc.) then we will have had a very solid non conference.

USC LOL

I imagine this happens all the time though.

Our coaching staff has been sending scouts to insert hometown for some time now. We are impressed with your skills, and think you'll be a great fit at USC. In meetings we have discussed that you may be the most dynamic insert player position in your whole class.

Go Trojans!

Insert this year's coach

Okay maybe this is the pessimist in me.

I think Navy is a good team, with avg to low talent, that overachieves. OSU has 4-5 star talent that maybe you would say under achieves at times.

The Defensive concerns I have are the same as they were last year. Our linebacking core is just not that good, our linebackers should have been called on a lot vs the option attack, yet they didnt seem to get it again...I dont care about excuses that this is a hard to defend against system. When your talent is that much better, it should not be hard to defend. We consistently did not understand how to contain the edge, and find the gaps, worrying...The secondary, I wasnt thrilled with their run stopping efforts, surely the safties could have been better so to speak.

My concern is again, we have good line play and avgerage play at linebacking and in the secondary. Josh Perry may look like a beast, but like Grant, they just seem not to have "it"; which we are used to at OSU.

Summation, the linebackers better get a clue. I hope the secondary does well vs VA Tech, they will get a look at least. I think the D-Line will do fine.

The Offense was fine, and will be better so long as the line play progress's quickly. It was clear they had a hard time (against really not good talent), and while JT threw the pick it was mostly a result of our center getting BLOWN up instantly and flustered JT into a bad read. They didn't open holes in the run game either, until the fourth quarter, once our size wore the midship men down.

I think we will see improvement, but to sit around all happy eyed, thinking "it was a good Navy team, and we wont see that scheme again, so the defense gets a pass" ... I think that is dangerous optimism, as running the ball is running the ball...We didn't stop it as well as I thought we could.

I don't think anyone is giving the defense a pass, you just can't really judge them based on a game against that offense. Everyone will learn a lot more about the defense against Virginia Tech.

And the offense wasn't so much simplified for JT as much as it was simplified for the OL. The offense can absolutely be judged on the Navy game and early on, playing musical chairs with the interior of the OL, it wasn't pretty. Navy's defense isn't exactly highly touted. They're usually undersized and should be able to be pushed around a good bit but that wasn't happening at all until late in the game when OSU seemed to maybe find their 3 interior OL. I know Hale and Farris (two converted DL) played at different points in there but at the end it was Elflein, Boren and Price in the middle for the 2 TD drives and the offense looked as it should against the Navy D. Anyway, Meyer said it himself after the game, they had to close a bit of the playbook because the OL wasn't opening holes or protecting the QB. They had the one throw deep-ish down the middle to Dontre that was a little off but still catchable on the first or second drive then didn't throw anything but those pop passes and WR screens until the end of the 3rd quarter because Navy was just blowing through the OL and getting to JT.

I think we will see improvement, but to sit around all happy eyed, thinking "it was a good Navy team, and we wont see that scheme again, so the defense gets a pass" ... I think that is dangerous optimism, as running the ball is running the ball...We didn't stop it as well as I thought we could.

100% disagree that "running the ball is running the ball". Navy uses cut blocks on the line to get blockers to the 2nd level almost instantly. I'm not giving the defense a "pass" but I honestly don't think there are any takeaways from that game defensively. Playing Navy is a lose-lose situation. It doesn't do anything to help your defense prepare for the rest of the season, nor really evaluate the defense. Their ball control offense really hampers what you can do on offense because they seriously limit the amount of plays you are going to get to run.

the one thing you can take away from the defense this game, is poor ass tackling! doesn't matter what kind of offense they are running. if you're missing tackles in the open field, you're missing tackles plain and simple. i really hope they get their shit together in that department, or there's going to be a LOT of close games this year.

the one thing you can take away from the defense this game, is poor ass tackling! doesn't matter what kind of offense they are running. if you're missing tackles in the open field, you're missing tackles plain and simple. i really hope they get their shit together in that department, or there's going to be a LOT of close games this year.

From what I remember, Cam Burrows was the major offender (stats would say so, having 0 solos and 4 assists). Von Bell will probably play against VT, which really help the tackling in the back end.

New coaches poll...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/polls/

Top 5 stayed the same, Michigan State jumped from 8 to 6 which dropped OSU from 6 to 7. Michigan still unranked, Nebraska jumped into the top 20 after their B1G record-setting performance and Wisconsin is still hanging on at 19.

Oregon and OU should have jumped Bama. UCLA barely wins and they get dropped 4 spots, but Bama barely wins against a just-as-shitty-but-still-kinda-sorta-relevant-ish team and stays put. Good thing the polls don't matter a whole lot this year. #NoMoreBama

EDIT: I know it's week one and all, but the bias is stupid.

Oregon and OU should have jumped Bama. UCLA barely wins and they get dropped 4 spots, but Bama barely wins against a just-as-shitty-but-still-kinda-sorta-relevant-ish team and stays put. Good thing the polls don't matter a whole lot this year. #NoMoreBama

EDIT: I know it's week one and all, but the bias is stupid.

But that SEC speed, tho'.

It's ok if you almost lose, as long as you look really fast doing it.

Or if you play in the SEC where only really, really good, fast teams are allowed to play and stay in the conference.

Kentucky? Super fast; would place second in Pac12.

Vanderbilt? Ultra fast; would likely win Big 12.

Ole Miss? Light-speed fast; would likely place 2nd in NFC West.

Or if you play in the SEC where only really, really good, fast teams are allowed to play and stay in the conference.

Kentucky? Super fast; would place second in Pac12.

Vanderbilt? Ultra fast; would likely win Big 12.

Ole Miss? Light-speed fast; would likely place 2nd in NFC West.

Love that last one haha.

I really hope we beat the hell out of VT too. It sucks they didn't crack the top 25 (somehow they always seem to be ranked or close to it in the beginning of the season). It would have looked much better beating them even ranked at 25. Oh well, a win is what matters right now.