College Football Thread v5.0

bicranium

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think before the year is over with Samuel will be the starting running back. He looked the best out of all who were used last week. I think for the first 4 weeks, we'll see a lot of guys back there until someone steps up and takes the role over. To me the 3 most explosive looking players on offense were Wilson, Marshall and Samuel.

Elflein, Boren, Price the middle of the O-Line

Really glad those three ended up winning it, at least for now. They were the ones I wanted to win out before the game just because I know they'll still be around next year and they were the ones in for the 2 TD drives where OSU started to look more like OSU.

#14 USC vs #13 Stanford -- Don't think USC is as fundamentally sound as Stanford is right now. USC will come out swinging, like always, but Stanford will capitalize on a few very key plays early and hold the lead 'til the end.

#7 Michigan State vs #3 Oregon -- I just don't think Michigan State can hang enough on the board enough to keep up, especially in Eugene. MSU's D is solid, but Oregon WILL score a few eventually. Oregon's D isn't anything to laugh at either. I'd love nothing more this weekend than to be proven wrong though.

Michigan vs #17 Notre Dame -- It's my girlfriend's dying wish to see Notre Dame lose.

Va Tech at #7 Ohio State -- It'll be rocky, but we'll pull this one out 27-21. JT gets his jimmies rustled early, but our stable of running backs takes over. We drop out of the top 10 after this win.

100% disagree that "running the ball is running the ball". Navy uses cut blocks on the line to get blockers to the 2nd level almost instantly. I'm not giving the defense a "pass" but I honestly don't think there are any takeaways from that game defensively. Playing Navy is a lose-lose situation. It doesn't do anything to help your defense prepare for the rest of the season, nor really evaluate the defense. Their ball control offense really hampers what you can do on offense because they seriously limit the amount of plays you are going to get to run.

So if you're Wisconsin's head coach, and you saw the film how easily Navy dismantled 4 and 5 star talent with zero star guys with simple cut blocks, you presumably would try to utilize some of their tactics. And using those tactics with better athletes would pose and even bigger threat from my perspective. Throw in the fact any other team can pass the ball and things would be even dicier, potentially.

I understand there are a lot of pundits who think Navy is a loose loose game, and we shouldn't take much merit in how our defense played. However in my opinion, you have FAR superior talent and you were essentially "pushed around" by Navy's scheme. Would Alabama, FSU, LSU GA, ect have been pushed around in that manner? I would speculate Navy would get a play or two here or there but would be overly neutralized.

The coaches this week even spoke about how mediocre our line backers were, and did not grade out well. They really need to wake up, quickly, because I just saw a continuation of last seasons line backing play to be frank.

Michigan vs #17 Notre Dame -- It's my girlfriend's dying wish to see Notre Dame lose.

Sorry to hear about your girlfriend.

a lot of pundits who think Navy is a loose loose game

The pundits also think that you have a "loose" grasp of the English language. I suppose they have been wrong before, though.

So if you're Wisconsin's head coach, and you saw the film how easily Navy dismantled 4 and 5 star talent with zero star guys with simple cut blocks, you presumably would try to utilize some of their tactics. And using those tactics with better athletes would pose and even bigger threat from my perspective. Throw in the fact any other team can pass the ball and things would be even dicier, potentially.

I understand there are a lot of pundits who think Navy is a loose loose game, and we shouldn't take much merit in how our defense played. However in my opinion, you have FAR superior talent and you were essentially "pushed around" by Navy's scheme. Would Alabama, FSU, LSU GA, ect have been pushed around in that manner? I would speculate Navy would get a play or two here or there but would be overly neutralized.

The coaches this week even spoke about how mediocre our line backers were, and did not grade out well. They really need to wake up, quickly, because I just saw a continuation of last seasons line backing play to be frank.

Wisconsin isnt going to pick up parts of Navys offense at the end of the season for 1 game. I dont think you really have a grasp on what Navy does. It takes years in that system to become proficient in making the reads needed.

You want to know how concerned the coaches are about the defensive performance vs Navy? They arent even analyzing the film beyond the quality control coaches grades. I think that is really all that needs said, but I will add another point.

Darron Lee was the only LB who played in position. They were frequently swapping Curtis Grant and Josh Perry. Worley also got a lot of time, and he probably wont play in tight games again this year.

The media bias is absolutely horrible, I wonder how much of that bias will play a role in the 4 teams they select for the playoffs. You have a person like Condoleezza Rice as a member of this board, that broad is not watching a single game of football this year. All she will look at. I have a feeling that no matter how much were told the poles won't play a role, they will end up playing a big role in the end. By that I mean, I think some people on that selection committee will simply look at the poll ranking, rather than the entire body of work.

Yeah, people keep saying the polls won't matter but the committee is absolutely going to use them as a guide for their own rankings. And I think Rice actually does like some football. She's a Stanford person and they've got a great thing going since Harbaugh was there so I'm sure she watches a little more than people are thinking. Just look up "Condoleezza Rice football" on Google and you'll see plenty of pictures of her on the sidelines or doing coin flips for Stanford games and maybe a few others. Also, for whatever reason, she's a big Browns fan...haha.

Sounds like Lebron will be at the game Saturday night. And here are some pictures of the new "tunnel" under the newly covered sides of the south stands...

http://i.imgur.com/tzAoh7f.png

http://i.imgur.com/BT1DNkF.png

http://i.imgur.com/oFWitLg.png

Minus the inferred point (as I read it, anyway) about the Armed Forces Bowl, that article is hilariously spot on. FSU is the only team I would mildly consider giving a pass for a small win margin, but as I posted earlier, Alabama should have dropped and dropped hard. Early season polls are a crapshoot, but this shit is what gives "strength of schedule" to the SESPNC.

At least Reddit agrees. /r/CFB has them 6th.

OSU and ND just announced a home and home series for 2022-2023. Obviously a long way between now and then but as it sits now OSU will play home vs. ND and @ Texas in 2022 then home vs. Texas and Boston College and @ ND in 2023. Some nice OOC schedules there.

This has me excited! I love the marquee matchup's and the fact that most if not all will be night games. I am not a ND fan by any means, but for some reason I really enjoy watching them. Maybe it's the traditions that they bring to the table that I enjoy, idk.

The next 9 years will have OSU playing teams like Va Tech, Oklahoma, TCU, Oregon, Texas, Notre Dame!

So any excitement to be had over the OL emerging at the end of the Navy game and that OL being the OL moving forward may have been for nothing. Apparently they were practicing with this lineup for a good bit of practice this week...

Decker - Price (instead of Elflein) - Elflein (instead of Boren) - Hale (instead of Price) - Baldwin

Boren is undersized and the DL's will be hard for him to match up with moving forward (Navy has smaller DL obviously) so I understand having to get him out but I wish that transfer from Bama was worth a shit so they could have just slid Boren out and kept Price/Elflein where they were. The OL was not very good when the converted DL (Hale and Farris) went in on Saturday.

So any excitement to be had over the OL emerging at the end of the Navy game and that OL being the OL moving forward may have been for nothing. Apparently they were practicing with this lineup for a good bit of practice this week...

Decker - Price (instead of Elflein) - Elflein (instead of Boren) - Hale (instead of Price) - Baldwin

Boren is undersized and the DL's will be hard for him to match up with moving forward (Navy has smaller DL obviously) so I understand having to get him out but I wish that transfer from Bama was worth a shit so they could have just slid Boren out and kept Price/Elflein where they were. The OL was not very good when the converted DL (Hale and Farris) went in on Saturday.

Meyer just commented today on the radio about how lucky he is to have another Boren etc etc. All unsolicited. Injury maybe?

Meyer just commented today on the radio about how lucky he is to have another Boren etc etc. All unsolicited. Injury maybe?

I didn't read anything about an injury, just saw someone post they were working with a different OL.

I heard the same thing though, but Urban never forgets to mention that he's undersized. Praises his family's toughness and everything but always throws in his size.

Maybe they're just getting this OL ready in case the size really does become a factor... no idea.

Wtf is McNeese State? That sounds like a high school team...good work Nebraska.

Top 10 FCS team that was on a 2 year streak of beating FBS opponents not too dissimilar from North Dakota St. Those top FCS teams would easily be in the top 75, maybe top 60 of FBS.

That said it was still a bad game for Nebraska after setting the all-time B1G record for offense last week. I watched the whole thing with my Nebraska buddy and the OL really just didn't show up. Abdullah had nowhere to go on runs (barely 3ypc after going for over 220 last week) but he still bailed them out in the end with his amazing TD catch and run.

Getting ready to head to Columbus for the game with my wife, hopefully the shoe is rocking tonight (it should be).

Not sure if anyone looked but Navy won today and put up 48x yards rushing lol. So far today the B10 has gone 5-2. Hopefully OSU, MSU and Michigan all put up good showings as all 3 of their games are on national television.