College Football Thread v5.0

bicranium

Doesn't Oregon always seem to find a way to lose during the season, what makes you feel this one is different? They still have UCLA and Stanford to face.

Bama still has Ole Miss, Texas A&M, LSU and Auburn yet to face. IF they make it through that then they deserve to be there haha.

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't Oregon always seem to find a way to lose during the season, what makes you feel this one is different? They still have UCLA and Stanford to face.

Bama still has Ole Miss, Texas A&M, LSU and Auburn yet to face. IF they make it through that then they deserve to be there haha.

Pretty much

LOL at the AP poll, OSU wins by 66 and drops a spot. 1 loss South Carolina who got blown out by A&M moves up to 14. Georgia loses to S. Carolina and stays 1 spot ahead of them. USC loses to an unranked Boston College and goes from 9 to 17. The SEC has 5 of the top 10 ranked teams in that poll. Thank god this poll has never mattered, just makes for good conversation

FSU

Oregon

Bama

Oklahoma

Auburn

aTm

Baylor

LSU

ND

Ole' Miss

UCLA

Georgia

S. Carolina

Arizona St

Stanford

USC

Missouri

Wisconsin

Kansas St

BYU

Clemson

OSU

Nebraska

Oklahoma St

ESPN is already lobbying for 2 SEC teams in the playoffs lol

At least the coaches poll got it right, although I am not sure how Georgia is ahead of a team they just lost to when both have 1 loss. Oh well

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2014/09/40472/ohio-state-falls-one-spot-in-ap-holds-steady-in-coaches-poll

OSU dropped because Va Tech crapped the bed at home to ECU...

The main team responsible for OSU's drop was BYU though. They inexplicably jumped 4 spots after beating Houston by 8 on Thursday night. Granted Houston has an impressive 27-7 loss to the mighty Roadrunners of UTSA under their belts so maybe I'm misjudging them. :dumb:

At least OSU doesn't have to worry too much about that crap this year since they're likely going to drop another game or two. The SEC garbage has already begun. Georgia nearly jumped into the top 5 after a pretty lackluster win against an overrated Clemson squad (similar to VT's rise into the top 20 after beating an overrated OSU squad), South Carolina was already top 10 so when A&M smashed them they more or less flipped spots. Then South Carolina gets their "redemption" win against Georgia (1 week removed from eking out a win vs. the same ECU squad that beat VT in a trap game yesterday) so Georgia only drops a little and South Carolina jumps a ton and just like that you've got 7 SEC teams in the top 15 with the only one really doing anything remotely impressive thus far being A&M.

As I said in a previous post the polls are not supposed to have any impact this year. However, I really feel like the AP poll and ESPN will have quite an impact on the selection committee. I don't think the SEC will get 2 teams, but I do think there will be controversy when the other 3 teams are selected. You might as well shoe in an SEC team each and every year.

So you will most likely have FSU (unless a huge upset happens) and an SEC team. That leaves 2 spots left for 3 major conferences, plus a team like BYU and ND to fight over. I said a long time ago that 4 teams was a joke and it needed to be more than that.

I see both getting a loss. TAMU would be my bet for running the table at this point. I THOUGHT Georgia was legit this year, but apparently not.

Also, LOL POLLS.

A&M's schedule gets brutal as well haha.

vs Ole Miss followed by

@Alabama

@Auburn

vs Missouri

vs LSU

I honestly think only 1 team this year will go undefeated and that is Florida State. Unless Notre Dame knocks them off, which I don't think will happen. Don't you just love college football haha

I don't think FSU will go unbeaten this year. Not that impressive thus far. They may very well blow out Clemson again Saturday night like they did last year but, like I mentioned a couple posts ago, Clemson was overrated to start the season after losing Boyd and Watkins. I'd take Oregon or Oklahoma to go undefeated before FSU.

And fuck A&M's schedule. 2 of those 5 teams are trash but because they're SEC both are ranked. They will lose 1-2 of the 3 games on that list that are actually tough (Bama, Auburn, LSU).

It's disgusting reading threads about the rankings on reddit and Ole Miss fans being all happy about being in the top 10 for the first time in 5 years. They absolutely collapsed the last time it happened and will likely do so again this year. Because they aren't very good. But their fans are saying "Oh we didn't look like a top 10 team the last time we were in the top 10... but this year... we definitely look the part." You've played Boise State (not at all the same team they were under Petersen), Vanderbilt (dumpster fire) and Louisiana-Lafayette. How on earth can you conclude that you "look the part" of a top 10 team?

The main team responsible for OSU's drop was BYU though. They inexplicably jumped 4 spots after beating Houston by 8 on Thursday night. Granted Houston has an impressive 27-7 loss to the mighty Roadrunners of UTSA under their belts so maybe I'm misjudging them. :dumb

LOL. BYU did not look impressive Friday. I think BYU is getting more credit for beating Texas and then Texas almost beating UCLA.

Who do you have Florida State losing to? The hardest game on their schedule left is probably Notre Dame, which they could lose but I just don't see it happening. Maybe Clemson pulls a shocker this saturday night, who knows

I would love to see 0 undefeated teams at the end of the year so everyone can bitch and moan when their team is left out of the 4 team playoff haha.

The way they struggled with Oklahoma State and didn't blow the doors off of Citadel... there are multiple teams they could lose to. I don't know who will do it but I just don't see them going unscathed 2 years in a row. They lost some important pieces in the draft and haven't exactly gotten off to a hot start. Clemson, ND and Louisville would be the group I'd pick a loss to come from. Louisville is one of those freaky Thursday night games the night before Halloween and it's in Louisville. Those are always fun.

Rumor from TMZnuts was that Fickell still had a large say in the defensive gameplan and calling the defense on gameday for Navy and VT but after VT's ridiculous amount of 3rd down conversions among other things Meyer turned it over completely to Ash. Obviously you can't tell a damn thing from shutting out Kent State but it will be interesting to see if that's ever made official/public and if the defense has a Kent State-like performance against a real team.

Funny though... if you think about the stuff Wisconsin/Arkansas fans said about Ash when OSU picked him up they mostly criticized his defenses for allowing miracle/clutch plays. Kinda like all the ridiculous 3rd down conversions VT was able to pull off. Ash was the DC for Wisconsin in 2011 when, in back to back weeks, they allowed Hail Mary-type, game-winning TD passes against MSU and OSU.

Can Fickell be blamed for the offensive line not doing their job against Virginia Tech? Or maybe blame can be put on him for Corey Smith dropping 3 passes, 2 of which were probably touchdowns. The Fickell hates makes me laugh everytime I see it. If he was so bad, he wouldn't have lasted through Tressell and now 3 years with Meyer.

Rumor from TMZnuts was that Fickell still had a large say in the defensive gameplan and calling the defense on gameday for Navy and VT but after VT's ridiculous amount of 3rd down conversions among other things Meyer turned it over completely to Ash. Obviously you can't tell a damn thing from shutting out Kent State but it will be interesting to see if that's ever made official/public and if the defense has a Kent State-like performance against a real team.

Funny though... if you think about the stuff Wisconsin/Arkansas fans said about Ash when OSU picked him up they mostly criticized his defenses for allowing miracle/clutch plays. Kinda like all the ridiculous 3rd down conversions VT was able to pull off. Ash was the DC for Wisconsin in 2011 when, in back to back weeks, they allowed Hail Mary-type, game-winning TD passes against MSU and OSU.

I don't believe it. When OSU faced Navy in 2009, with Heacock and Fickell, they ran a standard Defense. The defense was definitely a new look against Navy and not something I see Fickell coming up with.

The story has always been that they gameplan together and Fickell is on the field to coach the players and Ash is in the booth to make adjustments.

Can Fickell be blamed for the offensive line not doing their job against Virginia Tech? Or maybe blame can be put on him for Corey Smith dropping 3 passes, 2 of which were probably touchdowns. The Fickell hates makes me laugh everytime I see it. If he was so bad, he wouldn't have lasted through Tressell and now 3 years with Meyer.

Agreed.

What's funnier is when people say he shouldn't be the linebacker coach. I don't think you could find a linebacker coach with a better pedigree than Fickell.

2 Consensus All Americans (2 time and 3 time)

5 first team all conference

3 first round picks

11 draft picks

Lombardi

Nagurski

Butkus

Lott

He is bad.

He's not Ohio State head coaching material, I will give you that. But he is a good linebacker coach and a hell of a recruiter. If there is 2 guys running the defense, than there should be 2 guys taking the blame for the defense when they are bad. You never heard about Withers, all you heard was Fickell, Fickell, Fickell.

Pretty hilarious, yesterday on the CFB subreddit a guy posted that his buddy witnessed Jameis Winston running around FSU campus, jumping on benches and yelling "Fuck her right in the pussy!" For those not aware it's a joke that people try to yell that on live news reports and whatnot that stemmed from a guy making fake videos of himself doing that.

Fast forward to today and it was confirmed that he was doing it and Jimbo has now suspended him for the first half of Saturday's game vs. Clemson as a result.

Pretty hilarious, yesterday on the CFB subreddit a guy posted that his buddy witnessed Jameis Winston running around FSU campus, jumping on benches and yelling "Fuck her right in the pussy!" For those not aware it's a joke that people try to yell that on live news reports and whatnot that stemmed from a guy making fake videos of himself doing that.

Fast forward to today and it was confirmed that he was doing it and Jimbo has now suspended him for the first half of Saturday's game vs. Clemson as a result.

Came here to post this. Of course, after hearing the news I had to go back and watch all of those news clips :gabe:

That makes this weekend's game a little bit more interesting.

Came here to post this. Of course, after hearing the news I had to go back and watch all of those news clips :gabe:

That makes this weekend's game a little bit more interesting.

I'm anticipating a few "illegal" game day signs making it to the backdrop this Saturday.