College Football Thread v5.0

bicranium

Mid year review in Blue

Predictions:

AAC - No good teams here, Cincinnati is my pick but whoever wins the conference has least 3 losses

East Carolina has been the surprise team here, Cincinnati a disappointment. Still sticking with 3 losses for the conference champion

ACC - Florida St. v. Virginia Tech = FSU Blow out in Championship Game

FSU should have at least 1 loss, and Winston would be kicked out of most other programs but he's there and Jimbo knows he can't do with out. Va Tech still has a chance to reach the title game but I"m not as high on them as I was in beginning of the season. Brewster is good for to turnovers a game by himself. Virginia has been the surprise team of the ACC so far.

Big 12 - Baylor, Oklahoma is over rated, has 3 losses, maybe 4

Baylor is still undefeated, barely. Their only gimmie game left is Kansas, maybe Texas Tech. West Virginia may pull off the upset this weekend. Still not high on Oklahoma and I think Baylor wins in a shoot out. The most surprising team is how bad Texas is.

Big Ten - MSU v. Iowa = MSU winners

The MSU-OSU game may decide the east division. Rutgers has surprised me. I didn't think they or Maryland would be bowl eligible. Iowa still has a chance at 5-1 and 2-0 but they haven't looked good in any game. Still better than Wisconsin's QB though. Minnesota has looked good besides the TCU game but their toughest games are the last 4 of the season and I think going 2-2 is their best case scenario. Nebraska hasn't impressed either.

Conference USA - Western Ky v. La Tech = La Tech

Marshall is undefeated and ranked #25 while WKU is only 2-3 and 0-2. Mathematically they can still win their division but it's not likely. La Tech is 2-0 in Conference.

MAC - Toledo v. BG = BG wins a shoot out

Toledo & BG are both 3-0 in conference. BG's big games left are Akron & Toledo and should win all the other's. Akron and Terry Bowden could play spoiler. Toledo's Big games are Northern Illinois and BG in back to back weeks. The West comes down to the NIU-UT game

MWC - Fresno St. v. Boise St. = Fresno St.

Both teams sit at 2-1 in the conference. Fresno St. has been disappointing outside of conference play. Boise has a win against Colorado St. which may end up being the edge needed to win their division. Air Force is sitting at 4-2 and looks like a bowl bound team.

Pac 12 - Oregon vs. Arizona St = Oregon

Both teams sitting at 2-1. Oregon has the upper hand on Stanford. ASU same on USC and has the final game showdown with Arizona. UCLA was over ratted and Utah could play throw a monkey wrench in things. Not enough to win the division but enough to make things more interesting. Cal looks much improved and could pull off an upset or two.

SEC - South Carolina v. Bama = South Carolina w/ 2 losses

I drank the Ole Ball Coaches kool-aid and I'm ashamed of it. Kentucky could, maybe should be undefeated and looks like a competitive team. UGA looked strong with out Gurley, but somehow lost to South Carolina. The winner of the east will have at least 2 losses. I think Mizzou has the easiest conference schedule left. Miss St. and Ole Miss!?! Neither will go undefeated. Miss. State loses to Kentucky and/or Bama and Ole Miss. Ole Miss loses at Auburn & Arkansas. Auburn sneaks into the Championship game.

Sun Belt - Troy

Troy is 1-5. Bad call there. Georgia Southern is 5-2 (4-0) and have lost by a total of 5 points. By 1 to NCSU and 4 to GT. Triple Option FTW! Arkansas St is 4-2 (2-0) and these teams don't play each other. The Sunbelt could have to teams undefeated in the conference at the end of the year.

Playoff

1. FSU v. 4. MSU & 2. South Carolina v. 3. Baylor

1. FSU v. 3. Baylor = Famous Jamies steals the show, and some more crab legs

Scratch South Carolina, Replace with Auburn.

Pac 12 gets left out because Oregon will have 2 losses just like South Carolina but SEC

Independents:

Army 4-8 currently 2-4, right on pace

BYU 7-5 4-2 and with out Taysom Hill

Navy 6-6 currently 3-4, May not make .500

Notre Dame 8-4 Currently 6-0 but have FSU, ASU & USC and you never know what Northwestern and Louisville will show up

Randoms:

Army finally beats Navy, Air Force wins the Commander-in-Chiefs trophy

Still going with Army, Reynolds can't stay healthy for Navy. Air Force just needs to beat Army and they win the CiC

BG puts a scare into Wisconsin on Sept. 20 for a half, maybe 3 quarters

Fresno St. Beats USC or Nebraska, or both

Both of these did not happen.

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see ND beating Florida state, or OKST beating TCU (I think OKST is WAYYYY overrated). I agree with the rest! The TAMU one is bold, I think it could go either way. I'd say the home field will be the deciding factor in that one.

I watched the TCU/Baylor game and TCU is over rated as well. I think the ND pick by me is a wishful thinking pick but I will stick with it.

"Alabama Crimson Tide sophomore tight end Kurt Freitag had his dorm room searched last Tuesday, where the West Alabama Narcotics Task Force discovered 112 grams of marijuana and $4,661 in cash, according to court records.^"

Translation : Now that Bama has lost a game, we will go ahead and act like we care about legal/personal conduct issues.

Translation : Now that Bama has lost a game, we will go ahead and act like we care about legal/personal conduct issues.

Thats exactly it, if the rest of these kids were smart if they have anything at all that can be dealt with by the ncaa they should stop immediately. But we all know in a week that this weekend after a game someone will act like an idiot and be disciplined because of it....its sad because its super simple shit just dont do it!

Florida St. is looking like a toss up more and more everyday Winston is on the team. Getting tired of hearing about the punk already thats all Sportscenter has been all day.

100% agree. Winston is nothing but a Thug, Jimbo is doing all he can to keep him on the team, so hopefully the University or the NCAA does something about it soon. I'd be amazed if he hasn't done more than stealing the crab legs and assaulting the girl at FSU 2 years ago...

I can't stand to see Winstons face during an interview. He has that, "I want to punch you in the fucking mouth" look about him.

As for the Bama TE, I just read that no chargers were pressed... "The agents seized the drugs and the money, but if Freitag was charged with any crime, it is not reflected in court records."

http://www.al.com/news/tuscaloosa/index.ssf/2014/10/alabama_football_player_caught.html

Translation: Alabama just got 1 more scholly for next years over signed class.

100% agree. Winston is nothing but a Thug, Jimbo is doing all he can to keep him on the team, so hopefully the University or the NCAA does something about it soon. I'd be amazed if he hasn't done more than stealing the crab legs and assaulting the girl at FSU 2 years ago...

There was the BB gun incident, crab legs, potential rape

and

027108afe2ad6d0f4be0ba59974b786792f1cd41926e13764d8fe5e9366fe775_large

now money for autographs too.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11696412/florida-state-seminoles-coach-jimbo-fisher-confident-quarterback-jameis-winston-not-suspended

as far as Fisher...

"The facts are the facts," Fisher said. "There is no victim because there was no crime."

No respect for this man.

Then there was #AskJameis - not his doing but pretty epic responses

http://dailysnark.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/10393706_654256738004044_396419905307571559_n.png

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BusBC5eCEAAB0_f.jpg

http://cdn.nextimpulsesports.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Screen-Shot-2014-08-11-at-10.55.42-AM.png

Anybody listen to Mike & Mike this morning? They had Jimbo Fisher on and they asked him about Gurley getting suspended by UGA and Jameis not at FSU. His response wasn't that he didn't do anything wrong or didn't do it for money, his response was "The evidence is different and that's all I'll say about it"

C'mon

So Rutgers fans are saying that their defense is better than VT's and that their D Coord will commit to the bear defense and shut down OSU worse than VT. Except the fact that the DCoord for rutgers has only been a coord for 2 years. Bud Foster has been VT's D Coord for 19 years. That is a huge difference. Foster wasn't going to so much as flinch with whatever OSU threw at his defense. This young guy for Rutgers will most certainly panic and come out of the bear the first time OSU gash's them.

The thing is, OSU knows how to beat the bear now. Urban even mentioned it earlier this week and said that they're "kinda gashing it" right now when teams give it a shot.

Still sticking to my theory that the team and staff were somewhat paralyzed for the first 2 games of the season due to Braxton's injury. It's really like they merely flipped a switch after the VT game. Kent St. is bad all around, Cincy's defense is bad but Maryland isn't an atrocious team. In reality, VT probably isn't any better than Maryland. OSU just didn't know what they were doing at that point in the season.

Still sticking to my theory that the team and staff were somewhat paralyzed for the first 2 games of the season due to Braxton's injury. It's really like they merely flipped a switch after the VT game. Kent St. is bad all around, Cincy's defense is bad but Maryland isn't an atrocious team. In reality, VT probably isn't any better than Maryland. OSU just didn't know what they were doing at that point in the season.

Couldn't agree more. VT losing some further reinforces that -- they're not an elite team by any means, we were just still stunned from a forced rash change and throwing an inexperienced QB into a big game situation like that where we absolutely needed some keen decision making to beat the rush was kinda... suicidal, not that we had a choice.

VT lost again - this time to Pitt. I actually think VT losing more helps Ohio State. The reason why is because if it becomes clear that Ohio State is better now - or down the road - than VT, and that they are an improved team, and VT is just a train wreck, then people are more likely to see the game as a fluke. "Remember way back when Ohio State lost at home to that atrocious VT team? LOL that is just crazy - what a fluke that was, huh?"

The thing is, OSU knows how to beat the bear now. Urban even mentioned it earlier this week and said that they're "kinda gashing it" right now when teams give it a shot.

The problem during Vt game, was that OSU hadn't seen the "bear" defense coupled with the fact that the O-line had a combined 21 or so starts under their belts. And 16 of those starts were Decker's. I agree, Rutgers won't stay in that defense long after being gashed a couple times.

Game pics for the week

#14 Kansas St vs #11 Oklahoma

Rutgers vs #13 Ohio State

#21 Texas A&M vs #7 Alabama

#15 Oklahoma St vs #12 TCU

#5 Notre Dame vs #2 Florida State

#23 Stanford vs #17 Arizona St

Upset special: West Virginia over #4 Baylor

I know you missed on a couple - Alabama just absolutely annihilated Texas A&M - but you fucking nailed that upset special. Well played, my good man.

I know you missed on a couple - Alabama just absolutely annihilated Texas A&M - but you fucking nailed that upset special. Well played, my good man.

Haha thanks, part of me wanted to pick KSU over Oklahoma after watching ou/Texas last week. For some reason I just felt wvu at home was the game Baylor would drop. We went to the game today, I thought it was gonna be closer. Funny moment during halftime, Rutgers kicker was on the field warming up during script Ohio. Nothing like 100k calling you am asshole and cheering when you miss in warmups.

I would almost bet that Baylor is ahead of OSU in the next polls, even though they lost to an unranked opponent.

Just watching the game I thought it was the right call. I thought it was a call that goes uncalled 90-95% of the time, but technically it was right.

After watching replays and reading more about the rules... yep... robbed. The WR's can do that stuff within 5 yards of the LOS AND one of the FSU defenders actually initiated the contact with one of the WR's.

I really couldn't believe they threw the flag in the first place even though I knew what it was for immediately (OSU runs similar stuff - ran something very similar for the last TD in regulation vs. Purdue in 2012) but now seeing that it probably wasn't even technically right... that just sucks for ND.

And it sucks for OSU. Because the game was close but you add controversy and some people will consider ND to be basically an undefeated team still. So this game didn't get anyone out of the way. Not that the loser would have dropped below OSU in the first place but it leaves an obstacle further up the ladder.