Making your house energy efficient

Rustlestiltskin

Anyone got recommendations for sealing up a sliding glass door that needs to remain functional? Noticed frost developing on the inside of the door last night. We have a pretty heavy curtain that covers the entire thing and that does help some.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could maybe use the window film just on the glass areas (attach to frame) so that it gives you a slight air barrier between the glass and film. Should still be able to slide the door if you cut it right at the tape so it doesnt catch the felt on the inner door.

Anyone got recommendations for sealing up a sliding glass door that needs to remain functional? Noticed frost developing on the inside of the door last night. We have a pretty heavy curtain that covers the entire thing and that does help some.

I had an original, 1960s aluminum sliding glass door that also frosted on the inside of the glass during winter. The best thing I found was indeed a heavy curtain to cover the door, all the way to the floor. The floor register near the door remained unshrouded by the curtain.

I can tell you that a new sliding door, wood with vinyl exterior, is about $1800 installed (I had 2 done). The house feels 10x warmer, and my energy bills are noticably lower. It's a good investment if the rest of your windows are all newer or high-quality.

I made my own interior dryer vent last winter. I bought a cheap plastic storage bin and a reasonable quality furnace filter. I used duct tape to seal them together and cut a hole in the plastic bin for the round ducting. It works great, and adds a noticeable amount of heat and moisture to the air.

can we get some pics or a better explanation of this? Joe how is your heat diverter working these days?

It is doing what it is suppose to. I think I benefit from it in a way it was not intended. My Geo Spring water heater is in the same room as the dryer. The diverted heat from the dryer puts out humidity with the heat. The heat pump in the water heater tends to come on while we run the dryer. This dehumidifies the air, and heats the water at the same time. The water heater puts off cool air as a byproduct of the heat pump, making the area pretty much neutral.

This. I'm like a bear in a cave.

As a matter of fact, if you want to save on energy, I'm available for hire. Nobody will be more adamant about running behind you turning off lights, shutting doors, micro managing the hvac, and forcing you to live in the cold, dank, darkness.

I'm the same way. As a matter of fact, I removed a light bulb this morning because the wife left it on all night. I've warned her a couple times that this would happen. Even though it's very bright out right now, I should be receiving a text very shortly informing me that the light isn't working.

I'm the same way. As a matter of fact, I removed a light bulb this morning because the wife left it on all night. I've warned her a couple times that this would happen. Even though it's very bright out right now, I should be receiving a text very shortly informing me that the light isn't working.

Hahaha Hilarious.

I did this to several lights because of the same thing with a girl I was dating. She picked up a pack of new bulbs on the way home the next day. When she found out I had only unscrewed them a little, she was furious. She told her dad about it that week at dinner and he high fived me with a huge grin. He had been telling her to shut off light forever.

can we get some pics or a better explanation of this? Joe how is your heat diverter working these days?

http://i.imgur.com/Ql2zp7kl.jpg There's a hose from the dryer to the bin, and the fan is aimed out into the hall to help circulation.