What does Business Casual amount to these days?

mrhobbz

Flying out to Atlanta for job training Sunday, dress code is business casual. Usually at my previous employers that has meant polos and slacks.

Going to pick up some clothes, thinking some wool slacks a few button ups, a couple sweaters and maybe a blazer of some sort.

What's everyones opinion on 2014 "business casual" so I don't look like a 40 year old single dad.

Companies all have different definitions for business casual. If you have never been in the building to see what everyone else wears you should dress up not down. The first day at minimum I would wear a button up dress shirt, dress pants, slip on leather dress shoes. Maybe wear a tie if you wish. Bring some polos for the following days if everyone else is more relaxed. Sweaters are never out of style but I will never wear one. Don't ever wear jeans and shoes to work unless it is a "dress down" day.

I think it's always better to be overdressed than underdressed. So, I'd err on the side of being overdressed. Business casual for me is not wearing a tie.

+10.

If you have a nice suit, wear that with a long-sleeve button-down shirt. Something with a fun color/pattern is fine.

This way, you definitely won't be under-dressed, and you just need to hang up the coat and you're still the best-dressed slacks and shirt BIZ CASH guy there.

What industry? That will help.

I'd wear a nice modern fit button down dress shirt that can be worn a couple ways. Tucked for the day with dress slacks....no pleats please....slip on shoes, likely black.

What's nice is you could simply re-press it where needed, flip the cuffs if it the style with a complimenting design on the inside (I like ones that have them) maybe add in some nicer jeans leave the shirt un-tucked of course and if you did it write the shoes can be worn with them as well. There's you're going to dinner change.

I'll disagree and say dark dress jeans with a tucked in fitted button up shirt' date=' leather loafers and a fitted sport coat is fine for business casual.[/quote']

^^ this too. but our company is far more into stylish jeans and nicer casual outfits than the stuffy khaki pants and polos of the 90's. Depends on his company and perhaps industry.

+10.

If you have a nice suit, wear that with a long-sleeve button-down shirt. Something with a fun color/pattern is fine.

This way, you definitely won't be under-dressed, and you just need to hang up the coat and you're still the best-dressed slacks and shirt BIZ CASH guy there.

Agreed.

This.

Also one boss told me when I wore Jeans on a Friday once...Dress for the job you want, not the one you have.

Either you wore ratty jeans, or that guy is a stiff.

Given, it depends on where you work/what you do, but engineering isn't Wall St or real estate. Everyone at my work wears jeans on Friday, from the bottom all the way to the top.

Everyone at my work wears jeans on Friday, from the bottom all the way to the top.

http://i.imgur.com/bGBY0Wl.jpg?1

Since this is now the CR Fashion thread, just wanna give a recommendation to NattyShirts and ModernTailor. If you're an odd-shaped fellow, it's worth a few bucks to get shirts Made-to-Measure.